Location: Somalia (Mogadishu)
- High level of awareness on security matters and an understanding of different levels of risk and threat.
- Willingness a and readiness to undergo further training on the job;
- Willing to work long hours, under difficult conditions and often at high levels of stress.
- Highly motivated and have the ability to think quickly and react with initiative to rapidly changing situations. Ability to take initiative and use judgment to identify threats against the UN (personnel or property) and take appropriate action / report in a timely fashion.
- Excellent inter-personal and communication skills and the ability to interact readily with UN staff members at all levels.
- Proven ability to prepare and conduct short briefings on security matters;
- Fully computer literate with proficiency in MS office (word, outlook, power point, excel);
- Technical skills an experience in operating sophisticated security and communications equipment (radios, satellite phones, GPS receivers etc.);
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of the United Nations
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism
- A driver’s license and/or good driving skills with SUVs.
Education: - Completion of Secondary School and a diploma (complemented with 5 years experience) in business administration, public administration, journalism, languages, security or related field.
- A university bachelors degree or higher is desirable but not a requirement.
- A military staff college or police college combined with experience in a senior command post may be accepted in lieu. Experience:
- A minimum of 3 years experience in the field of security/safety, journalism, community services, humanitarian assistance or related field; experience with an international organization, NGO or IGO is desirable.
- Excellent knowledge of the political and security situation in Somalia and good networking within Somalia;
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Somali is essential, including the ability to draft, edit and finalize documents in English. Knowledge of Italian and/or Arabic is desirable
- UNDP reserves the right to conduct background checks on applicants.
- The use of any drugs, including but not limited to "khat" during working hours is not tolerated.
- Candidates considered for the post may be required to undergo a drug test.
Submission of application
Please send your curriculum vitae, marked "Local Security Assistant - Mogadishu" by 1st April 2008 to:
The Deputy Resident Representative (Operations),
United Nations Development Programme - Somalia,
P.O. Box 28832, Nairobi, Kenya,
Fax: 254-20- 4183641,
E-mail: registry.so [at] undp.org
Scholarships in Australia » Scholarships in Austria » Scholarships in Belgium » Scholarships in Canada » Scholarships in Germany » Scholarships in Italy » Scholarships in Japan » Scholarships in Korea » Scholarships in Netherlands » Scholarships in UK » Scholarships in USA