• BSc in biological sciences and a broad microscopy experience of not less than 2 years, at a professional level; OR 5 years full-time experience working in an electron microscope laboratory;
• Mastery of the operation of the Transmission Electron Microscope including the use of EDX analysis;
• Proven ability to operate the Scanning Electron Microscope and high-level light microscopes at a professional level;
• Mastery of the technique of ultramicrotomy, and a proven ability to prepare and section a wide variety of resin-embedded materials on the ultramicrotome;
• Experience and competence in performing the range of specimen preparation procedures required for Transmission Electron Microscopy, including fixation, resin embedding, negative staining, shadow casting and the specialized preparation of microbiological specimens.
• Experience in cryo-sectioning;
• Technical knowledge so as to perform first-level maintenance functions on the instruments;
• Experience in training and supervision in Electron Microscopy techniques.
Applicants will be required to perform a skills test covering the specified minimum requirements.
Remuneration Package: R161 499 – R274 665 per annum, inclusive of benefits.
Applicants are required to submit a covering letter highlighting their experience in, and providing evidence for, each of the minimum requirements and advantages as listed above, together with a detailed CV including the names, full addresses, fax numbers and e-mail addresses of three referees, to:
Mrs. M. Pearman,
Human Resources Administration, University of KwaZulu-Natal,
Private Bag X01,
Fax. No: +27 (0)33 260 5356 or