Advance Africa Newsletter
April 2007 Part I
A free e-zine bringing you inspirational articles, great tips on studying abroad as well as jobs and scholarships alerts.
Serving Africans around the world.
April 02 2007, ISSUE #032.
1. Georgina Sweet Fellowship 2008
The trustees of the AFUW Inc Education Trust invite applications for the biennial Georgina Sweet Fellowship to support a woman postgraduate to undertake advanced post-first degree study or research in any field, at an Australian university. The award may be applied toward the cost of the successful applicant's studies, but does not include travel expenses.
2. Olive W Garvey Fellowship
Olive W Garvey Fellowship program awards fellowships biennially to outstanding college students around the world through a competitive essay contest on the meaning and significance of economic and personal liberty. The Fellowship Contest is held every other year and the submission deadline for this year is May 1, 2007.
3. ELA Foundation Scholarships
ELA Scholarships are available only to women graduate students who are enrolled in a college or university in the United States. These scholarships are awarded on an objective and nondiscriminatory basis. Scholarships can be up to $2,000.
4. 2008 Japanese Government Scholarships (Diploma, Undergraduate & Postgraduate Scholarships)
The application for the 2008 Japanese Government Scholarships is now open. This scholarship covers a 5-year period of study in Japan for individuals wishing to pursue undergraduate-level studies. Non-vocational, masters and PhD scholarships are also on offer.
5. Foreign Correspondent Training Course Scholarships
TOL Investigative Journalism course is a 10 day programme at Czech Agricultural University, Prague , aimed to provide practical training for people interested in a career in journalism. The participants will learn how to put together a piece of investigative journalism, use sources and build a publishable case. Scholarships are available.
6. Investigative Journalism Scholarships
TOL is funding 2 half-scholarships to cover 50% of cost for successful applicants. TOL Investigative Journalism course will provide practical training for people interested in a career in journalism.
7. Young Social Entrepreneurs Invited to Apply for YouthActionNet Awards
The YouthActionNet Awards offer grants of $500 each to help fund the social change projects of young social entrepreneurs around the world. In addition to receiving a $500 grant, YouthActionNet Fellows participate in a week-long capacity building workshop in Washington, D.C. The contest is open to all young people between the ages of 18 and 29.
8. King Faisal Foundation Scholarships
King Faisal Foundation Scholarships (KFF Scholarships) are awarded to outstanding Muslim from any country to undertake their postgraduate studies in science, medicine and engineering. The program covers two to three years of study and provides full tuition and a generous monthly stipend.
9. Master's in Energy and Environmental Management and Economics Scholarships - Italy
The Eni Corporate University announces a competition for an academic course that leads to a Master's Degree in Energy and Environmental Management and Economics - MEDEA. The course is organized and managed by the Scuola Enrico Mattei. For the Academic Year 2007-2008, the Scuola Enrico Mattei will assign a maximum of 50 scholarships.
10. Environmental Management MBA Scholarships
Exceptional students can apply for a Fentener van Vlissingen Environmental Management MBA Scholarships, which grants 3 winners each an amount of €10,000 towards the cost of a full-time MBA. Three scholarships will be awarded to full-time MBA students who want to contribute to sustainable development.
11. Master of Science in Economics Scholarships and Ph.D. Studentships in Economics Bonn Graduate School of Economics (BGSE)
The BGSE invites outstanding students with a Bachelor¡Çs or Master¡Çs degree (or equivalent) in economics or related fields to apply for MSc. Scholarships and PhD studentships in Economics. Applicants admitted with a Bachelor¡Çs degree will join the BGSE as students of the Master of Science in Economics program. Applicants who already hold a Master degree (or equivalent) can directly be admitted as doctoral students of the BGSE.
12. Master and Doctoral Scholarships at International R&D Academy, Korea Institute of Science and Technology
Korea Institute of Science and Technology invites applications for Master and Doctoral Scholarships. The scholarship awardees will be provided with a monthly stipend 800,000 Korean won (around US $800) for Master, and 1,100,000 Korean won (around US $1,100) for Ph.D. programs throughout their study. No tuition or registration fees are charged.
13. PhD Studentship, School of Life Sciences, Napier University, UK
Napier University, UK invites applications for for one full-time, fully funded three-year PhD studentship. The studentship will cover tuition fees to home/EU level, and a £12,300 stipend per annum.
14. Phd Studentship, University College Dublin, UK
University College Dublin, UK welcomes applications from highly motivated individuals with a track record of excellence for a Phd Studentship. The programme involves significant collaborations with clinical colleagues, investigators at other institutions and in biopharma industry, and presents excellent career development opportunities.
15. PhD Scholarship in Water Resources, University of Copenhagen
University of Copenhagen invites applications for PhD Scholarship in Water Resources. Applicants should hold a MA degree in science (meteorology, geography, physics, hydrology or biology) or engineering. The scholarship is open to international applicants. The salary follows standard rules for PhD students. Depending on seniority it is in the range of 23.000-30.000 DKK/month.
16. Postgraduate Research Scholarships in Politics, University of Birmingham
The Department of Political Science and International Studies, University of Birmingham is offering two scholarships of £10,000 per year for 3 years to new applicants starting a PhD research degree. The scholarship competition is open to Home, EU and International students, studying on a full time basis.
17. PhD position in Forest Ecohydrology – School of Forest Resources and Environmental Science
A PhD position is available for a highly motivated and qualified individual in the School of Forest Resources and Environmental Science at Michigan Technological University. Consideration of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
18. PhD Studentship in Electrical Impedance Tomography, Middlesex University
Enthusiastic graduates are being sought for a PhD Studentship in Electrical Impedance Tomography at Middlesex University. The studentships are available for a period of three years and will cover full student fees and subsistence expenses.
19. PhD Studentships in Operations Research and Supply Chain, University of Kent
Kent Business School at the University of Kent invites applications for two 36-month PhD studentships in the area of Operational Research and Supply Chain Reliability starting September 1, 2007. The studentships comprise a living allowance at the standard UK rate and tuition fees at the UK/EU student rate.
20. PhD studentship in Physics, Queen’s University
Queen’s University has an immediate opening for a student intersted in pursuing a PhD or Masters at Queen’s University. The University is interested in in those specializing in optics or photonics. Students will gain experience working in an exciting lab, exploring fundamental questions of chaos and fractal growth of nanomaterials, while developing useful applications in optics, photonic crystals, and electromagnetic devices.
21. PhD Studentship, Phage Biology/Molecular Microbiology, Napier University, UK
The studentship will cover tuition fees to home/EU level, and will provide a standard living allowance (stipend), currently £12,300 per annum (subject to annual review).
22. PhD Scholarship Opportunities in Law at University of Leeds
There are 4 new PhD Scholarship Opportunities in Law at University of Leeds. Each scholarship will cover the full cost of fees and an annual stipend of 10,000 pounds. International students are eligible. The award will be renewable annually upon satisfactory academic progress up to a maximum of three years from initial first year registration.
23. PhD Scholarships in Political Science and International Studies at University of Birmingham UK
The Department of Political Science and International Studies at University of Birmingham UK is offering two scholarships of £10,000/year for 3 years to new applicants starting a PhD research degree in the Department of Political Science and International Studies, 2007/8.
24. PhD Scholarships in Economics, University of Siena, Italy
The University of Siena invites applications for its Graduate Program in Economics. The 10 most qualified candidates will be awarded a four-year scholarship of about €10,500 ($13,600) per year, after tax, for a total of about $42,000 ($54,400), plus tuition remission.
25. Macquarie University Bioinformatics PhD Scholarship
MQRES Scholarships in Sequential Algorithms for Protein Structure Prediction are available to international students. The scholarship pays a living allowance currently $19,616 per annum, tax exempt (2007) and the tenure is 3.5 years full time.
26. Studentship in Nerve Biomechanics, Open University
The Open university invites applications for Funded full-time PhD Studentship for three years from 1 October 2007. The suitable candidates should have a good honours degree in a Biological Science and have a keen interest in using interdisciplinary approaches to investigate biological phenomena.
27. PhD and Postdoc Positions in Applied Mathematics and Computer Science, TU Dresden
PhD Studentships and PostDoc positions are available in computational science at Institute for Scientific Computing, TU Dresden, Germany.
28. Postdoctoral Research Associate: Biology Education, Michigan State University, USA
Applications are sought for a postdoctoral fellow to work on an NSF-funded grant as part of a team of ecologists and computer scientists developing an assessment database for undergraduate science education. Candidates should have a PhD in the life sciences, a deep interest in undergraduate teaching and learning, and experience with data manipulation and analysis.
29. Post-doctoral Fellow in Human Genetics, The University of Hong Kong
The University of Hong Kong invites applications for appointment as Post-doctoral Fellow in Human Genetics, starting ASAP, for a period of 2 years and with the possibility of renewal. Experience with statistical analysis of linkage and association data would be an advantage.
30. Funded Doctoral Programme in Economics and Management, The University of Trento
The University of Trento is now inviting applications from qualified candidates for a three-year Funded Doctoral Programme in Economics and Management. The initial coursework year consists of 15 compulsory courses. Students follow a common core curriculum in the first two terms and specialised courses in the third term.
31. PostDoc Position in IT Security Perimeter Virtualization, University of Twente
University of Twente is currently looking for one PostDoc (three years) who will investigate the linkage between the policies and the mechanisms across the digital, social and physical domains. The monthly salary of a PostDoc starts at EURO 2708 per year and is negotiable.
32. The New Zealand International Doctoral Research Scholarships
Prospective candidates are advised to start corresponding with academics in the relevant departments of New Zealand universities regarding the availability of appropriate supervision well in advance of submitting their application papers. Successful candidates, under the New Zealand International Doctoral Research Scholarships, are entitled to full tuition fees for three (3) years of full-time doctoral study, NZ$18,000 per annum living allowance (NZ$1500 per month).
33. Fellowship for International Researchers, Rockefeller Archive Center
The Rockefeller Archives Center and ARNOVA invite applications for a first International Research Fellowship. The fellowship award will provide $4000 intended to cover the costs of travel to and attendance at the ARNOVA Conference, and to the RAC for a time of research at the Archives.
B. Upcoming deadlines
1. Internships, Enterprising Solutions Global Consulting
2. Research Manager, Microbiology, University of Oxford, UK
3. 7 positions to support Team Leader, AMESD
4. Sub Office Manager, Ethiopia
5. Country Manager, IRIN Radio, Gulu, Uganda
6. Program Coordinator/Team Leader, AGRIFOR Consult, Freetown
7. Administrative and Financial Officer, ARCADIS Euroconsult
8. Team Leader, NR International, Addis Ababa
9. Team Leader, ARCADIS Euroconsult, Addis Ababa
10. Project Officer For The Global Aids Programme, Panos Dakar
11. Public Health Administrator, CTS Global Inc, Gaborone, Botswana
12. Chiefs of Party-Education, Creative Associates International
13. Consultants, Reproductive and Sexual Health Rights in Africa, FEMNET
14. Five Thematic Experts, ARCADIS Euroconsult, Addis Ababa
15. Several Positions, Various locations, Crown Agents Consultancy
16. HIV AIDS Advisor, International HIV/AIDS Alliance, South Sudan
17. Water Resources Management Expert, Kinshasa
18. Senior Civil Engineer and Finance Manager, Mozambique
19. Programme Manager, CIVICUS, Johannesburg