Save the Children Jobs
Browse and apply for Save the Children Jobs and internship opportunities in more than 120 countries. Apply for Save the Children vacancies and job opportunities from entry level to management positions. Find all current jobs at Save the Children International.
1. Save the Children Kangaroo Mother Care – Senior Project Officer (Maternity Cover) Jobs in Kenya
Level 3 - the responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people
Scope of Role:
The Senior KMC Officer will have the overall responsibility of setting up centres of excellence for KMC in Bungoma and Busia Counties as well as ensuring that learning from these centres is captured and shared with other partners for scaling up
Reports to: Senior Health Coordinator – Nairobi
Dimensions: Save the Children has been operational in Kenya since the 1950s, providing support to children through developmental and humanitarian relief programmes delivered both directly and through local partners.
Current programming focuses on child protection, child rights governance, education, health, HIV/AIDS, livelihoods, nutrition and WASH. In 2012, as part of a global reorganization process, Save the Children combined the programmes of SC UK, SC Canada and SC Finland to create a single operation in Kenya.
In Feb 2014, we completed a second transition, which saw us join forces with the British INGO, Merlin, and merge their health and nutrition programmes with our own. Save the Children now has an operational presence in Bungoma, Dadaab Refugee Camp, Garissa, Mandera, Turkana and Wajir and we work through partners in many other parts of the country. We employ nearly 300 staff and will have an operating annual budget in 2016 of approximately US$20 million.
SCI Kenya is in the process of implementing a signature maternal and newborn health (MNH) programme that is expected to significantly reduce maternal and newborn deaths. The programmatic model will actualize continuum of care approach mixed with an integrated package of quick wins, a minimum community health care package and a strengthened health system approach to maternal and newborn health programming across Save the Children’s Theory of Change.
Save the Children will work with the government of Kenya at both national and county levels and communities to address the maternal and neonatal health challenges in the country in a way that would deliver significant impacts for women and children
Staff directly reporting to this post: Program Assistants
Key areas of Accountability:
• Support the roll-out of the Kangaroo Mother Care programme Nairobi County to improve the care for premature and low birth weight infants in the county.
• Participate in development and adaptation of KMC information, education and communication materials.
• Work with the county reproductive health coordinator to ensure that the necessary commodities, job aids and protocols and equipment are available in the centres of excellence
• Work with the MNH coordinator to source for trainers of trainers for KMC
• Work with RH coordinators to train HCW on Kangaroo Mother Care and provide on-site coaching/ supervision of facility.
• Work collaboratively with field staff to ensure that resources for effective and timely program implementation are available
• In collaboration with RH coordinators and facility staff establish facility based follow up mechanism e.g. formation of KMC support groups
• Work with KMC facilities to ensure KMC services are offered according to guidelines
Monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning
• Conduct Technical Support Visits to the health
facilities together with the Sub county health management team to ensure that KMC is being implemented according to set standards and protocol
• Compile reports as per programme schedule and participate in documentation of activities within a stipulated deadline
• Ensure proper documentation of achievements, lessons learnt, and best practise throughout the program implementation.
• Support the development of work plans, reporting and monitoring and evaluation plans.
Participates and represents SCI in various health coordination forums and at working meetings with partners at field level when necessary
Qualifications and Experience
• Trained and registered as a Nurse or Midwife (Kenya Registered Nurse, Kenya Registered Midwife) with experience in maternal and newborn health.
• At least 5 years’ experience supporting maternal and child health programmes including experience working with the MoH. Experience conducting joint support supervision with the MoH
• Up-to-date knowledge on maternal and newborn health including EmONC, essential newborn care, focused ANC, malaria, immunization, supervision and quality improvement systems
• Training and support supervision experience in MNH programmes
• Computer literacy, particularly in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
• Strong representational and communication skills
• Commitment to Save the Children’s Child Safeguarding and other global policies, and to Save the Children’s vision, mission and values.
Understanding of child rights programming
• Delivering Results: Takes personal responsibility and holds others to account to deliver our ambitious goals for children, continually improving own performance or that of the team/organisation.
• Developing Self and Others: Invests time and energy to actively develop self and others to help realise their full potential, and to build the organisation’s capability for the future.
• Problem Solving and Decision Making: Takes effective, considered and timely decisions by gathering and evaluating relevant information from within or outside the organisation and making appropriate judgements.
• Applying Technical Expertise: Applies the required technical and professional expertise to the highest standards, promotes and shares best practices within and outside the organisation.
• Working Effectively with others: Works collaboratively to achieve shared goals and thrives on diversity of people and perspectives.
Knows when to lead and when to follow and how to ensure effective cross- boundary working.
Other Desired Competencies
• Has high-level communication skills’, including engaging and informative formal public speaking.
• Fluent in English and Kiswahili (both spoken and written). Working knowledge of local language strongly preferred
• Able to work effectively in a multi-cultural environment.
• Sets high standards for quality and consistently achieves project goals.
• Maintains and extends an effective network of individuals within the organisation and with government and development partners
Save the Children International does not charge any kind of fee at whichever stage of the recruitment process and does not act through recruitment agents
For more information and job application details, see; Save the Children Kangaroo Mother Care – Senior Project Officer (Maternity Cover) Jobs in Kenya
More Save the Children Jobs in Kenya - Page 1 |2 | 3 | 4 |
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Jobs in Kenya.