New Form One selection guidelines out, CS Jacob Kaimenyi announces

NAIROBI: The Government Thursday released new Form One selection guidelines that will see more candidates from marginalised areas join national schools.


The new selection guidelines provide preferential treatment for candidates from regions that have always posted dismal performance in the national exams.

“In order to recognise merit, the top five candidates of either gender in each sub-county to be placed in national schools of their choice where possible irrespective of whether from public or private primary schools,” reads the reviewed guidelines in part.

This is a departure from the current guidelines where only the top three candidates of either gender are picked for national schools.

The top three, however, will be selected first across all sub-counties while the remaining two will be based on candidature strength.

In case a sub-county misses a slot due to low candidature, affirmative action will be applied.

Education Cabinet Secretary Jacob Kaimenyi said the reviewed guidelines will ensure proportionate sharing of national and extra-county school places between public and private schools.

The revised guidelines with input from major education stakeholders also grouped 103 national schools into four clusters.

Candidates will be expected to choose one school from each cluster.

The move, Kaimenyi said, will give students a chance to join national schools even if not their preferred choice.

Candidates who will miss out in national schools will be considered for placement in extra-county schools.

For extra-county schools, the host sub-county will be allocated 20 per cent, 40 per cent for the host county while the remaining 40 per cent will be shared by other counties.

The guidelines further require candidates to choose three extra-county schools, one of which must be from outside the host county of their primary school.

In this category, candidates from public schools will take up to 70 per cent slots while those in private schools will compete for the remaining 30 per cent.

But Kenya Private Schools Association Executive Officer Peter Ndoro said the new guidelines will result in a mass exodus from private to public schools as they provide better opportunities for candidates in public schools.

Mr Ndoro said while they welcome grouping of national schools into four clusters, they are against the criteria used in selecting students to national and extra-county schools.

He said the guidelines are not exclusive and are only intended to benefit those in the public primary schools.

He said such preferential treatment should only be accorded to students from disadvantaged areas. - The Standard 24th October 2015 http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/article/2000180462/new-form-one-selection-guidelines-out-cs-jacob-kaimenyi-announces

  • New Form One Selection Rules
  • Pupils Get one Shot at ‘Elite’ Schools - Form 1 Selection Rules
  • National Schools in Kenya
  • Secondary Schools in Kenya - Listed per County. (Includes extra county schools, county schools, sub-county schools)

    KCPE Results » Form 1 Intake - Selection Criteria, Selection List » KCSE Results » Secondary Schools in Kenya

    KCPE Results » KNEC - Kenya National Examinations Council » KCSE Results » Secondary School Scholarships in Kenya » Kenya Postgraduate Scholarships » Undergraduate Scholarships for Kenyan Students » Kenya Scholarships for Kenyan Students Studying in Kenya » Kenya Undergraduate Scholarships » The Kenya Youth Education Scholarship Fund - Scholarships Kenya - Scholarships » African Scholarships » African Women Scholarships & Grants » Developing Countries Scholarships » Erasmus Mundus Scholarships for Developing Countries » Fellowship Programs » Funding Grants for NGOs » Government Scholarships » LLM Scholarships » MBA Scholarships » PhD and Masters by Research Scholarships » Public Health Scholarships - MPH Scholarships » Refugees Scholarships » Research Grants » Scholarships and Grants

  • Click here to post comments

    Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to KCPE Questions & Comments.

    Scholarship 2017/18

    Undergraduate Scholarships,
    Masters Scholarships,
    PhD Scholarships,
    International Scholarships.