meta name="robots" content="max-image-preview:large"
Deputy President William Ruto on Saturday ordered a probe into secondary schools charging over Sh55,000.
He also ordered the Ministry of education to give a fee guideline next week because many students joining Form One were being locked out as school management boards were imposing levies parents could not afford.
“Those who charge exorbitant school fees must be reigned on. These are people exploiting parents and locking many deserving students out of school,” said Ruto.
“Secondary schools are charging as much as Sh100,000 for a Form One student yet a university charges about Sh50,000 per semester. The teachers must explain where they are taking the extra money,” he said.
According to him, the government allocates up Sh15 million annually to national schools and that it was unfair to charge parents.
CLEAR GUIDELINES
He also ordered that secondary day schools should not charge more than Sh5,000 annually, arguing that MPs had been allocated CDF money so that they can build classrooms and other facilities needed by the institutions.
“The ministry of Education must within the next week give clear guidelines on how much the schools must pay to end this confusion,” ordered Ruto.
Mr Ruto said that some of the items which the parents were paying for were unnecessary for the learning process.
In the past month, many parents have been forced to dig deeper into their pockets to

Scholarship 2026/27
Current Scholarships 2026/2027 - Fully Funded
Full Undergraduate Scholarships 2026 - 2027
Fully Funded Masters Scholarships 2026 - 27
PhD Scholarships for International Students - Fully Funded!
Funding Opportunities for Journalists 2026/2027
Funding for Entrepreneurs 2026/2027
***