World Bank Jobs in Kenya
World Bank Jobs in Kenya; Find & apply online for the latest World Bank vacancies. Jobs and internships - World Bank. Career opportunities - World Bank current job openings (ongoing). Link to the World Bank vacancies page.
1. Senior Procurement Specialist
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
World Bank Group is one of the world's largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries.
It uses financial resources and extensive experience to help our client countries to reduce poverty, increase economic growth, and improve quality of life.
To ensure that countries can access the best global expertise and help generate cutting-edge knowledge, the World Bank Group is constantly seeking to improve the way it works.
An important part of its responsibilities is to deliver operational support to other Practices, including through inputs for policy-based operations, hands-on implementation advice and direct fiduciary due diligence of investment financing.
The Solutions and Innovations in Procurement (SIP) Department convenes a leading group of practitioners focused on advancing cutting-edge practices and innovations in the fields of procurement.
In that context, the SIP Department supports governments and non-governmental actors in institutional strengthening and capacity building, improvement and modernization of procurement and information systems, ensuring efficiency of transactions, in order to ensure improved governance and enhanced development outcomes.
The theme will:
• Provide technical advice on procurement fiduciary activities and lead policy dialogue on procurement with client countries
• Support client countries in achieving value for money in public procurement in order to enhance service delivery and development outcomes with integrity
• Create the space for procurement/governance innovation to happen
• Establish proactive processes to identify and deploy knowledge to solve specific problems, and improve development outcomes in client countries
• Facilitate and join global platforms to share knowledge and practices across the world.
The selected candidate should be prepared to
(i) travel to Somalia on missions on a regular basis within the World Bank approved travel rules and requirements to Somalia, and
(ii) ‘roll up the sleeves’ and work on the ground to train, mentor, build Government cadre in the procurement sector and to undertake fiduciary work.
Duties and Accountabilities:
• Plays a leadership and advisory role to clients and colleagues in handling complex procurement tasks and issues, which frequently cut across sectors, countries and/or work units.
• Employs appropriate methodologies for handling simple and complex procurement tasks and/or issues.
• Supports clients in achieving value for money in public procurement in order to enhance service delivery and development outcomes with integrity.
• Makes significant contributions in evaluating and developing improvements to borrower's procurement regulations/practices, including influencing the design, reform and establishment of national and subnational public procurement systems and strengthening of institutional capacity within borrower entities.
• Plays a substantive role in improving Bank procurement practices and approaches; generates "concept notes" and best practices papers and develops innovative solutions to particularly difficult procurement and related issues.
• Leads missions and supervises major projects as a technical expert; interacts with clients at the policy level.
• Prepares and/or comments on draft operational directives and policy papers; produces major/complex reports.
• Develops and executes training modules on complex procurement topics.
• Works independently under general direction of Accredited Practice Manager and under direct supervision of Procurement Hub Coordinator, and guides and mentors more junior staff.
• Works closely with management and counterparts across the Bank as well as with counterpart officials in government, multi-national organizations, donor and other agencies.
Selection Criteria and Competencies:
• Master’s Degree or equivalent qualification relevant to this post and minimum of 8 years relevant experience in both public procurement and procurement reform.
• State-of-the-art knowledge of public procurement principles, systems, process and planning, and approaches to international procurement with proven ability to independently provide well researched analyses of complex procurement issues and problems.
• Seasoned knowledge and specialized command of all major facets of Bank procurement policies and practices as applied across a wide range of Bank lending
operations at all phases of the project cycle, and ability to address broader issues at sector/country level.
• In-depth understanding of Bank operational policies and practices related to project/sector work.
• Seasoned knowledge of public procurement systems including legal framework and institutions.
• Good understanding of critical linkages and relationships among clients' business drivers, business operations and objectives and Procurement processes.
• Proven ability to conceptualize, design and implement major projects.
• Ability to promote client commitment to ensuring implementation and longer-term sustainability of projects/programs.
• Strong communication skills and persuasiveness in presenting, negotiating and resolving highly complex issues, both orally and in writing.
• Ability to identify complex issues and to respond and handle accordingly; does not add unnecessary complexity to tasks or projects.
• Ability to operate effectively in a matrix management environment, both as a team leader and team member.
• Ability to lead a team of professionals in the execution of major projects.
• Ability to deal sensitively in multi-cultural environments and build effective working relations with clients and colleagues.
• Knowledge of Fragile and Conflict Situation (FCS) Context - Applies to operations and analytical tasks a substantive understanding of fragility, conflict and violence, including polarization of state-society relations, diminished client capacity, relevance of partnerships, etc.
• FCS Behavioral Skills - Demonstrates the mind-set needed for success in FCS settings: adaptability, resilience, determination, sound judgment, etc. Coaches others on the team around these factors.
• FCS Operational Skills - Coordinates a pragmatic approach to FCS operations. Looks for ways to help the client achieve early results while maintaining a strategic approach, and identifies practical ways to implement longer-term/ reform measures.
• FCS Policies, Tools and Instruments - Is experienced with the range of FCS related policies, tools and instruments, political economy analysis, etc.
(i) Delivers Results for Clients:
- Develops and implements solutions that show understanding of how clients and/or own work achieves results that are financially, environmentally and socially sustainable
- Shares new insights based on in-depth understanding of the client and recommends solutions for current and future needs of clients
- Holds self and team accountable for risk management and outcomes
(ii) Collaborates Within Teams and Across Boundaries:
- Collaborates across organizational boundaries, internally and externally with a sense of mutuality and respect
- Consistently engages others in open dialogue, brings out any conflicting viewpoints and incorporates viewpoints into solutions, giving credit where credit is due. Leverages expertise of all team members to ensure successful outcomes
- Makes choices and sets priorities with a WBG corporate perspective in mind
(iii) Lead and Innovate:
- Encourages and works with others to identify, incubate and implement relevant solutions
- Identifies opportunities in changing circumstances and energizes others to continuously improve, using intentional strategies to boost morale, team spirit, and productivity in context of WBG’s values and mission
- Helps others to understand problems, client needs and the underlying context
(iv) Create, Apply and Share Knowledge:
- Ensures systematic sharing of good practice and learning from lessons from across WBG, clients, and partners
- Is known across WBG in their subject area and is sought out by WBG colleagues to advise, peer review, or contribute to knowledge products of others
- Seeks mentoring opportunities with more experienced staff to deepen or strengthen their professional knowledge and mentors junior staff
- Builds networks across the WBG and as part of external professional groups/networks
Closing date: 17-Oct-2016
More World Bank Jobs at Page 1 | 2 | 3 |
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Jobs in Kenya.