World Bank Career Opportunities in Kenya
How to apply:
For more information and job application details, see; World Bank Jobs in Kenya
2. World Bank Jobs in Kenya - Transport Specialist
Duties and Accountabilities:
• Contribute to a portion of the Bank’s transport and urban development portfolio in East Africa (with responsibilities over up to 3 projects and the preparation of one or two new operations per year), and support other project teams particularly on sector technical issues ranging from general institutional setups and reforms to planning and impact evaluation analyses. The focus will be primarily on the Bank’s Kenya portfolio.
• Manage or contribute up to two analytical studies (ASA/ESW/RAS activities) per year and support other analytical studies, particularly on issues related to the provision of urban transport infrastructure and services, financing options, asset maintenance and operations, gender, impact evaluation, and general best practices in the investment, management and delivery of infrastructure and services.
• In carrying out the activities above, engage with sector entities in designing and advancing sector policy and institutional reforms and capacity building programs.
• Participate in cross-sectoral teams responsible for preparation of policy notes, Country Partnership Strategies, public expenditures reviews, sectoral studies, and research and policy development activities on the topics/sections pertaining to the transport and urban development sectors.
• Support the Bank-wide professional community of staff engaged in the transport practice by participating in a selected number of thematic technical groups (Global Solutions Groups or Communities of Practice) and drafting of technical notes, and supporting cutting-edge work in collaboration with other Global practices in order to enhance the creation and dissemination of new knowledge, and expanding the existing knowledge base.
• Stay abreast of recent developments in the transport sector world-wide, and on cross-cutting issues, in relation to the topics of specialization for this position.
The selected candidate will be an integral member of the Africa Transport and ICT Global Practice will in particular be a member of one or more task teams working in Kenya and/ or other countries in the sub-region.
As a member of the team, the selected candidate will participate in: the preparation, appraisal, negotiation and supervision of transport sector projects (roads, rail, aviation, waterways, urban transport, etc.) as well as projects in related sectors; and economic work and advisory services to government and other national stakeholders.
The specific duties will include, but not necessarily limited to
• Participate in project preparation, appraisal and negotiation activities, including operational missions with particular focus on effective implementation, and getting results on the ground.
• Carryout regular reviews of project implementation, inclusive of site visits and review of progress reports, and make recommendations on remedial and follow up actions to resolve emerging or outstanding problems;
• Participate in project implementation support missions and take a proactive role in all or part of the implementation review activities;
• Provide cross-support to other sector units in the design, implementation and supervision of civil works and other related project components;
• Review of procurement documents to ensure compliance with Bank guidelines and the provisions of credit agreements, prepare comments and follow up correspondence for the team leader;
• Take an active interest in policy reform developments in the Transport Sector and initiate or participate in high-level discussions concerning the implementation of these reforms and the supporting role of the Bank interventions;
• Keep abreast of key developments in related sectors and in regard to cross-cutting issues affecting the performance of the transport sector, such as: environment, social impact, HIV/AIDS, road safety, climate change, gender, poverty reduction, public-private partnership, etc.;
• Participate on a regular and proactive basis in sector donor coordination activities in the country;
• Participate in country team activities, including portfolio reviews, formulation of country assistance strategy, analytical and advisory services, and response to priorities in the country
poverty reduction strategies;
• Encourage the development and active engagement of the private sector, including domestic construction industry; and
• Participate in professional development and knowledge sharing activities in the transport sector and take a role in contributing specific knowledge both within the assigned countries and within the Bank
Critical Success Factors
• Ability to spot/ identify, analyze and propose practical solutions to a broad range of technical, operational, financial and procurement problems during project implementation;
• Sound understanding of Bank operational and procurement procedures allied with the professional credibility and inter-personal skills to interact effectively with team members, clients and cooperating partners;
• Strong organizational and project management skills to perform day-to-day in-country management of a large and complex portfolio;
• Ability to prioritize work programs, attention to detail, resourcefulness and result orientation
In carrying out those duties, the appointee will work effectively with the transport and urban development teams in AFR and more generally with all staff working in the Transport and ICT (T&I) Global Practice, and also with staff from other global practices working in the East Africa CMUs; and ensure appropriate collaboration and partnership between Government, the World Bank, and other donors involved in the relevant sectors.
• Post graduate degree at Masters’ level or higher in civil/transport engineering, transport planning, or related fields;
• Minimum five years of professional experience in the transport sector with a focus on at least one of the following areas: (a) highway/roads engineering and transport planning, design and operations, (b) transport economics, financing, and sector policy issues; (c) contract management and implementation for transport infrastructure investments and operational services, and (d) economic, social, and environmental impact of transport investments.
• Practical experience in the design, implementation, management, maintenance or operation of transport infrastructure projects or initiatives, and an understanding and the ability to work on policy, institutional, financing, contract management, social and environmental requirements.
• Comprehension of typical sectoral issues in transport, including sector policy reforms, and management and financing of transport infrastructure
• Strong analytical skills as applied to common problems in the transport sector;
• Experience in working on at least two sectoral issues of major interest including: private sector participation in the provision of urban or interurban transport infrastructure and services, transport policy sector reform, infrastructure investment planning and asset management, maintenance and operational schemes, road safety issues, and economic analysis/impact evaluation work.
• Strong technical and operational skills as evidenced by a proven track record in the delivery of operations within the Bank or similar type of products in non-Bank entities, and demonstrated capacity to advance and deliver analytical knowledge on transport sector issues
• Proven ability to function effectively as team leader or team member of multi-disciplinary teams and to resolve conflicts constructively.
• Strong client and communications skills, with proven experience in providing quality policy and project advice to national and sub-national clients, and in transferring knowledge.
• Publications in transport/urban/infrastructure journals or specialized magazines would be a plus.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills in English .
The World Bank Group is committed to achieving diversity in terms of gender, nationality, culture and educational background.
Individuals with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
More World Bank Jobs at Page 1 | 2 | 3 |
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!