Save the Children Jobs in Kenya
3. Save the Children Nutrition Communication for Development (C4D) Officer Jobs in Kenya
Save the Children has been implementing nutrition programmes in Wajir, Mandera and Turkana Counties for more than 10 years, with a progressive focus on health system strengthening approaches, particularly since the devolved government system was put in place.
Our years of experience have highlighted that in order to address multiple underlying causes of malnutrition in the ASALs, multi-sectoral and integrated approaches and interventions are critical. Save the Children is the lead implementing partner for UNICEF in their EU-funded SHARE Nutrition Resilience programme, which seeks to:Increase demand for and utilization of health and nutrition services by women and children
Improved capacity, skills and competencies of health workers (MOH and Partners) to provide quality nutrition and health services at facility and community level
Improve utilization of nutrition information, including for early warning and early action (scalability) by county health management teams
Strengthen the capacity of MOH to generate evidence based data for decision making to improve health & nutrition service delivery at community and county level
The Nutrition C4D Officer in each county (Wajir, Mandera, and Turkana) will play a critical role in ensuring effective community mobilization and participation strategies in the UNICEF/EU SHARE Nutrition programme are implemented based on Save the Children’s Theory of Change.
S/He will play a central role in developing and implementing appropriate communication strategies for the programme while bringing together all actors to foster common understanding of the objectives of the programme.
Reports to: Senior Nutrition Coordinator.
Key staff engaging directly with this post: Health & Nutrition Programme Manager; Nutrition Systems Strengthening Officer; Health & Nutrition Advocacy & Policy Coordinator; Head of Child Survival; Nutrition Technical Specialist; Health Technical Specialist; Health & Nutrition Research & Learning Coordinator; MEAL Coordinator
Key areas of Accountability:
• Work with nutrition teams to strengthen integration of nutrition within the health system identifying, analysing and developing strategies to address barriers.
• Provide guidance and technical support on capacity development of county, sub counties and implementing partners on Social Behaviour Change Communication (SBCC) strategy planning, implementation and monitoring, as well as supporting the development of an integrated SBCC strategy at the county level
• Support the MOH to mark national/ international nutrition days (World Breastfeeding Week, Malezi Bora)
• Ensure that the community mobilisation and participation aspect of the project is implemented according to plan, including training, materials adaptation and monitoring of outcomes. Support Community Units to conduct community sensitization and dialogues and social mobilization forums on integrated health, WASH and nutrition interventions targeting key influencers and community members
• Support in the development, management and facilitation of the communication strategy, plan of action and activities for strategic communication for Programme delivery.
• Promote and influence behaviour development/change at community/individual/household levels, social mobilisation and increased community participation in the project activities.
• Propose viable recommendations/cost-effective solutions on C4D strategies, approaches, plans, methods and procedures in the areas of participatory communication, social mobilisation and behaviour change and on appropriate materials and media to reach target audiences.
• Identify and work with existing community structures to enhance community involvement.
• Support the development, pre-testing and production of culturally relevant communication materials to ensure effective and efficient programme delivery including facilitating behavioural change where necessary.
• Contribute to the development and dissemination of policy briefs/IEC fact sheets and county profiles to get nutrition on to the policy agenda at the county and national levels
• Contribute to monthly budget reviews to assess progress of program spend and follow up on remedial actions related to areas of work within the role.
Partnerships for Social Mobilisation
• Develop partnerships with different community groups such as the mother to mother support groups, religious groups, women’s groups, community committees and other organised groups in the community
to orient them on the programme goals and to solicit their involvement in the implementation of the programme
• Provide effective coordination and technical support to Ministry of Health counterparts at the sub-county level and other partners in the development and strategic use of communication for social development.
Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability & Learning
• Work with the Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) team and other nutrition and health staff for monitoring and evaluation of project activities especially the communication pieces of work within the project, including preparation of monitoring reports, documents and lessons learned.
• With the support of accountability focal persons, support the implementation of an accountability mechanism for programme beneficiaries and partners.
• Carry out regular field monitoring of programme
• Participate in milestone meetings for monitoring of the progress of the programme such as mid-term reviews, strategy meetings, previews and reviews and annual reviews.
• Ensure exchange and sharing of experience, lessons learnt best practices and new methods to county officials, programme staff, other SCI partners as well as within the organization in collaboration with the nutrition advocacy, learning and policy coordinator and other nutrition staffs.
Skills and Behaviors (our Values in Practice)
• Able to deliver timely and appropriate results using available resources
• Is able to plan, prioritise and perform tasks without needing direct supervision.
• Understands the link between their work and the larger organization’s objectives
Problem solving and decision making
• Can identify where to source the right information and able to use critical thinking to make effective and timely decisions.
• Has the ability to stay on a problem or challenge until a solution is reached. Can identify at which point to escalate matter for support from line manager and other colleagues.
• Able to involve account suitable for contextual information when considering different problem solving options.
Working effectively with others
• Is proactive and able to deliver timely and appropriate support to team members.
• Clarifies their role and responsibilities within the team – both internally and with partners – to maximize impact.
• Communicates clearly and is able to take into different perspectives and experiences into account.
Qualifications and Experience
• University degree in the social/behavioural sciences, (Sociology, Anthropology, Psychology, Education) with emphasis on strategic communication planning for behaviour development, social mobilization, participatory communication, and research.
• Minimum 3 years of relevant professional work experience in the development, planning and management of social development programmes with practical experience in the adaptation and application of communication planning processes to specific programmes.
• Demonstrated experience of developing communication materials and carrying out social mobilization
• Effective working relationships with senior stakeholders from government agencies, international organisations, donors, academics and opinion-leaders, including successful advocacy and influencing.
• Experience in community mobilisation
• Demonstrated effectiveness in behaviour change communication.
• Good knowledge of health and nutrition community development programs.
• Good presentation and persuasion skills.
• Experience of policy research, having written and published policy reports and briefings and evaluating evidence of their impact.
• Experience in developing / implementing community communication, behaviour change programs within pastoral communities.
Closing date: Wednesday 1 February 2017
For more information and job application details, see; Save the Children Nutrition Communication for Development (C4D) Officer Jobs in Kenya
More Save the Children Jobs in Kenya - Page 1 |2 | 3 | 4 |
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Jobs in Kenya.