Practical Action Jobs in Kenya
1. Business Mentors Opportunities in Kenya
Practical Action is an international non-governmental organization (NGO) that uses technology to challenge poverty in developing countries. We find out what people are doing and help them to do it better.
Through technology we enable poor communities to build on their skills and knowledge to produce sustainable and practical solutions - transforming their lives forever and protecting the world around them.
We are looking for a qualified business mentors to join our Practical Action Consulting team to support in mentorship of the last mile women entrepreneurs in selected regions or clusters shown below as per the duties and responsibilities listed below.Duties and Responsibilities:
1. The Mentor deployed by Practical Action on a full time basis will implement a mentoring plan developed jointly with his/her supervisor. Mentorship sessions will be delivered through one on one coaching, group sessions and telephone conversations with selected last mile women entrepreneurs of solar lighting products. Business mentorship course will cover but not limited to:Basic business management skills
Business records and book keeping skill ensuring that the entrepreneurs keep relevant and updated business records
Costing and pricing of the solar lighting products
Business plan development; ensuring that the mentored entrepreneur has a feasible business plan by the end of the mentorship program
Marketing skills that employ the 4Ps, among others
Source of business finance and financial linkages
2. Perform a one-on-one monthly session with the women entrepreneurs based on identified gap and needs. Develop action plan drafted by the entrepreneur with guidance from the Mentor.
3. Follow up on the time bound action points highlighted in the action plan and provide entrepreneurs with technical advice and motivation in areas of difficulty. Ultimately the business mentor will facilitate the development of business acumen and self-confidence of the entrepreneur in management of the business over the period of engagement.
4. Avail information and market intelligence to the entrepreneur to aid in formulating decisions for the uptake of quality-verified off-grid lighting products by the entrepreneurs for re-sale. The mentor will also provide linkage of the entrepreneur to suppliers and or distributors of the off-grid lighting solar products and where necessary to last mile retailers.
Specifically, the mentor will transfer knowledge to the entrepreneur on inventory management (skills in determining optimum stock levels and re-order levels of the off grid lighting products).
5. Organize Supplier presentations and demos with the objective of facilitating product knowledge and linkage to certified products. In addition the mentor will liaise with Micro Finance Institutions and other business development service providers will to be invited to the group mentorship sessions.
6. Hold and facilitate Two Community of Practice (CoP) type forums in each region the mentor will be assigned over the project implementation period. These will help to identify common challenges among the women entrepreneurs which will be discussed under the project’s CoP protocol and methodology.
7. The Project mentor will be required to submit a monthly mentorship progress summary report in a Google form template that will be provided by Practical Action. Additionally a monthly narrative brief report that Captures and records opportunities, challenges and lessons observed during the project implementation.
8. At an opportune time, the mentor will hold at least one sensitization session for spouses (men), based on willingness and availability. This is in order to build additional support mechanisms for the women entrepreneurs from a family and social front.
9. Capture and record challenges and lessons that may arise during the project implementation.
10. This position will be for a fixed term contract of seven months.
11. The mentors will be based in the
clusters below and they’ll be required to travel across a region to remain in close touch with the entrepreneurs.
Western –Kakamega, Siaya, and Kisumu where LA and PA already have a footprint.
Rift Valley – Nakuru, Uasin Gishu, Nandi, Laikipia
Eastern: Makueni, Machakos, Embu
Central Kenya –Kiambu
12. Any other tasks relevant to project implementation that may be assigned by supervisor
A graduate degree in Business related discipline, Sales and Marketing or any other relevant field.
The ideal candidates will have over 2 years working experience in business development services for micro enterprises.
Experience in household energy value chains and Agency Empowerment programs for women entrepreneurs and will be an added advantage.
The incumbent will have strong communication in English & Swahili, training and coaching skills as well as excellent time management, organizational, networking and liaison skills.
He/She will also have In-depth knowledge and understanding of the off grid renewable energy sub-sector of Kenya.
He/She will be proficient in Computer application with knowledge in use of online reporting platforms and report writing.
In addition, the incumbent will be self-motivated and with ability to work under minimal supervision.
Interested applicants should send a letter of interest expressing their motivation for the Mentorship position and including an updated CV to Practical Action Consulting, Eastern Africa Regional Office by email: email@example.com no later than 9 November 2016.
Indicate “PAC Business Mentor Opportunity” and your preferred location in the email subject line.
2. Communications & Knowledge Management Officer
We are looking for a qualified Communications & Knowledge Management individual to join our East Africa Regional Office to support Practical Action’s internal and external Communications to maximise the contribution to the delivery of the East Africa Strategy and efforts to tackle poverty.
Reporting to the Regional Director, the successful candidate will have the overall responsibility of supporting the East Africa Regional Office and Regional Director in executing organizational brand and public relations activities, as well as disseminate knowledge and lessons learnt in the delivery of work within the organization.
This will entail developing and designing publicity items and products to support project activities, fundraising and for improving the image and visibility of Practical Action in Eastern Africa.
The ideal candidate will have a Masters degree in Information & Communication, Public Relations, Journalism, Studio production, Graphic Art and Design or related field;
Professional qualifications of at least Diploma level information technologies, community development, project management or related field; at least 7 years experience in a marketing or communications environment such as content production, digital communication, photojournalism, media production, video editing and public information.
Experience working in INGO will be an added advantage.
Please access the detailed job description on our website at: Practical Action Jobs in Kenya
Interested applicants should send a letter of interest expressing their motivation for the position of Communications and Knowledge Management Officer, and including an updated CV to Practical Action by email: firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 16th November 2016.
Please indicate “Communications and Knowledge Management Officer” in the email subject line.
Practical Action is an equal opportunity employer; qualified women are encouraged to apply.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Jobs in Kenya.