The Canadian Organization for Development through Education (CODE) in collaboration with the National Book Development Council of Kenya (NBDCK) and with the generous support of a Canadian patron, Mr. Bill Burt, have the pleasure to invite Kenyan authors to take part in a writing competition to produce engaging and educational stories for the youth (12 – 18 years old) which will be published as part of the Burt Award for African Literature.
Application Criteria for the Award’s Writing Competition
The story should:
- Engaging characters with whom young readers can identify and a protagonist who overcomes challenges or obstacles in a positive way
- A well-developed plot with a good flow of events
- The effective use of literary devises, such as flashbacks
Manuscript Submission Guide
1. The length of the manuscript should be between 120 – 150 pages.
2. The manuscript should be in chapter form.
3. They should be type-written in double space.
4. The font type should be Times New Roman, font size 12.
For more Award information and application, see: The Burt Award for African Literature