Organisations applying for a grant from the Stephen Lewis Foundation should fulfil the following criteria:
1. Be a registered CBO or NGO. This means you should be able to provide a copy of a letter from government proving your status, and/or a fund-raising or registration number.
2. Have a bank account or access to the bank account of an accredited NGO that is working on behalf of your organization.
3. Be committed to the principles of non-discrimination against all groups of people, with a particular commitment to women and people living with HIV/AIDS.
4. Have a sound financial system to manage grant expenditures;
5. Have a functioning board, steering committee and/or leadership structure that has women and people living with HIV/AIDS.
6. Be engaged in community-based activities aimed at assisting one or more of the following: orphans and vulnerable children; young people; women; caregivers/guardians, who are often grandmothers; and people living with HIV and AIDS.