Senior Editor - Kenya
Closing date: 30 May
– Advanced knowledge of the use of information management to improve the delivery of humanitarian assistance;
- ability to analyze and articulate the information management requirements of complex situations requiring a coordinated UN response;
-demonstrated problem-solving skills and ability to use sound judgment to ensure the effective and timely completion of complex tasks;
- ability to work under extreme pressure, on occasion in a highly stressful environment (e.g. civil strife, natural disasters and human misery);
- very good knowledge of institutional mandates, policies and guidelines pertaining to humanitarian affairs and sound knowledge of the institutions of the UN system;
- Empowering Others
– Delegates responsibility, clarifies expectations and gives staff autonomy in important areas of their work;
- Encourages others to set challenging goals;
- Holds others accountable for achieving results related to their area of responsibility.
- Client Orientation
– Considers all those to whom services are provided to be ‘clients’ and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view;
- Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect;
- Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions;
- Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients; environments to keep informed and anticipate problems;
- Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to clients.
- Commitment to Continuous Learning
– Willingness to keep abreast of new developments in the field.
– Excellent communication (spoken and written) skills, including the ability to convey complex concepts and recommendations to staff at senior levels, both orally and in writing, in a clear, concise style.
- Planning & Organizing
– Ability to coordinate the work of others, work to tight deadlines and handle multiple concurrent projects/activities.
- Technology Awareness
– Fully proficient computer skills and use of relevant software and other applications, e.g. word processing, spreadsheets, internal databases, Internet, etc.
– Excellent interpersonal skills, including ability to operate effectively across organizational boundaries;
- ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relations in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) preferable in a related field.
A first level university degree with a relevant combination of academic qualifications and experience in journalism, media, information or humanitarian affairs may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree;
- The Senior Editor will have at least seven years’ progressively responsible professional experience (at least two at the international level) in the humanitarian or journalism field, or, ideally, a combination of both; and/or experience in a related area such as research, public information and advocacy or media management;
- Proven excellent written and oral communication and inter-personal skills;
- Knowledge and prior professional experience working on Africa;
- At least two years' management experience.
- Excellent written and spoken English required.
At least intermediate French required. Knowledge of a regional language an advantage.
- Computer and Internet proficiency.
Ms. Pat Banks