UNON Procurement Assistant Jobs in Kenya
UNON Procurement Assistant Jobs in Kenya
Org. Setting and Reporting The United Nations Office at Nairobi (UNON) is the UN headquarters in Africa and the representative office of the Secretary-General. We support programme implementation of the UN Environment Programme (UNEP) and the UN Human Settlements Programme (UNHABITAT) globally, as well as other UN offices in Kenya, by providing administrative, conference and information services (www.unon.org). This post is located at the Nairobi duty station in the UNON Procurement Section.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief, Procurement Section, the incumbent will perform the following duties:
• Reviewing, recording and prioritizing purchasing requests and obtaining additional information/documentation as required; providing assistance to requisitioners in preparing scope of work and specifications of goods and services; proposing product substitutions consistent with requirements to achieve cost savings; determining the availability of funding sources.
• Identifying and recommending sources of procurement.
• Producing tender documents (e.g. Invitations to Bids, Requests for Proposals and Requests for Quotation) based on the nature of the requirements and cost of procurement involved.
• Preparing abstracts of offers and compiling data contained in quotations, proposals and bids to determine which supplier can deliver the required goods/services at the best terms and lowest costs possible, with due consideration to quality, delivery time, prompt payment and other discounts, transportation costs, etc.
• Entering into negotiation of terms and conditions of orders under the guidance of Procurement Officers; obtaining credit and other information on proposed suppliers.
• Finalizing purchase orders and contracts for approval by the Procurement Officer; may authorize purchases in line with delegated signature authority, and, if required, preparing submission to the Contracts Committee for review and subsequent approval by the authorized official.
• Resolving issues/problems related to delivered goods, including discrepancies between purchase orders and items/quantities shipped or received; preparing and signing Return to Vendor forms for unacceptable and/or damaged goods received.
• Maintaining relevant internal databases and files; keeping track of any contractual agreements, direct provisioning contracts, etc. and informing affected users of contractual rights and obligations.
• Researching, retrieving and presenting information from a variety of internal and external sources on sources of supply, vendors by commodity, etc., as well as obtaining specifications for new products and equipment on the market.
• Drafting a variety of correspondence.
• Performing other related duties as assigned.
• Professionalism: Knowledge of procurement policies, processes and procedures and of purchasing and accounting techniques. Knowledge of financial rules and regulations and ability to research and gather information from a variety of standard sources and to apply good judgment in the context of assignments given. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for
incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
• Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
• Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
A High School diploma or equivalent is required. Supplementary courses or additional training in procurement functions is highly desirable.
Passing the Global General Service Test (GGST) is a prerequisite for recruitment consideration in the General Services and related categories in the United Nations Secretariat. Successful passing of the Administrative Support Assessment Test (ASAT) in English at the United Nations Headquarters (UNHQ), Economic Commission for Africa (ECA), Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (ESCWA), United Nations Office at Geneva (UNOG), United Nations Office at Vienna (UNOV), International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR) or International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) may be accepted in lieu of the GGST. The GGST is administered to applicants when required before the administration of a written assessment and/or interview.
A minimum of seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience in procurement or related area, of which at least the last one (1) year should be direct first hand procurement experience is required.
Experience working with a Systems, Application and Products (SAP) system or another Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system is desirable.
Experience in procurement supporting public, private or non-governmental entities that have national, regional or international operations is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is desirable.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; UNON Procurement Assistant Jobs in Kenya
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to NGO Jobs in Africa.