UNON Engineer, (Project Post) Jobs in Kenya
UNON Engineer, (Project Post) Jobs in Kenya
Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Office at Nairobi (UNON) is the UN headquarters in Africa and the Director-General of UNON is the representative of the Secretary-General in Kenya. UNON supports programme implementation of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP),the United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat) and the Resident Coordination System (RCS) globally, as well as other UN offices in Kenya, by providing administrative, security, conference and information services (www.unon.org).
This position is located within the Replacement of Office Blocks A to J Project at UNON within Facilities Management, Central Support Services (CSS), Division of Administrative Services (DAS). The incumbent will work under the direct supervision of the Project Manager reporting to the Chief, Facilities Management Section and overall supervision of the Chief, Central Support Services.
The incumbent will provide leadership, technical expertise and oversight of the architectural/ engineering aspects of the project. Within delegated authority, the Architect/ Engineer will apply professional architectural/ engineering knowledge and expertise in performance of the following duties:Responsibilities
• Examines, reviews and advises on project planning, site, design, logistics, services integration, construction, environmental aspects, maintenance and operations;
• Analyzes project proposals and change order requests to ensure technical feasibility and to ensure that project objectives are attainable within prescribed resources;
• Coordinates contracting activities, drafts documents to engage consultants, conducts technical assessment of received bids and change order requests during project execution;
• Manages the day to day work of contracted consultants, ensures compliance with contract and project obligations of timelines and budget;
• Reviews, evaluates and revises received reports, documents and other deliverables for quality, completeness, accuracy, feasibility and cost;
• Oversees financial aspects of the project, including validating estimates and payments;
• Applies commonly used engineering calculations, practices and precedents in relation to the design, construction, or renovation of buildings, roads, parking, water treatment facilities, electrical power generation and distribution systems, environmental control systems, information technology and other related structures and activities;
• Provides expert technical advice on policies, procedures and best practice appropriate to the project;
• Coordinates preliminary site investigations to obtain field data such as soil characteristics, drainage and other data required for building site selection;
• Prepares preliminary design layouts for portions of buildings and facilities;
• Develops preliminary technical data regarding materials, sizes, dimensions, and quantities and costs to be incorporated into formal specifications;
• Conducts investigations to develop improved designs and construction techniques;
• Conducts research on development of new technical systems, and follows development to identify improved methods and equipment;
• Produces cost data and estimates on engineering requirements to determine feasibility of planned materials, systems and equipment;
• Liaises with contracted consultants to arrive at mutually satisfactory approaches to engineering problems by exchanging and comparing data;
• Drafts reports for management and stakeholders on technical matters, provides substantive inputs and supports drafting of periodic reports to decision making bodies;
• Coordinates and ensures full integration with all stakeholders of the project including facilities, IT and security to ensure all design, equipment and fitting selection as well
as maintenance considerations are agreed in consultation with the key stakeholders.
• Maintains project documents/ records.
• Collects and analyzes data to identify trends or patterns and provide insights through graphs, charts, tables and reports using data visualization methods to enable data-driven planning, decision-making, presentation and reporting.
• Perform any other relevant tasks as required.CompetenciesProfessionalism
Demonstrated project management skills, knowledge of latest technology and material used for buildings complemented by the knowledge of applicable codes and international best practice. Ability to apply engineering, architectural, project management skills and to participate in engineering projects, including preparation of cost estimates, research of data and preparing graphs. Planning & Organizing
Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.Accountability
Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honors commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments.EducationAdvanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in architecture or engineering is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two (2) additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Successful completion of both degree and non-degree programs in data analytics, business analytics or data science programs is desirable.
Job - Specific Qualification
PRINCE II or PMI Certification or equivalent for project management is desirable.
Professional certification and registration with relevant Professional Architectural or Engineering Institutes is desirable.
FIDIC Certification and/or professional experience with RIBA work methodology are desirable.
A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in the management of architectural/ engineering large scale and complex projects is required.
Experience in supervision of large scale and complex engineering projects is required.
Experience in construction, major renovation or related projects/systems at international level is desirable.
Experience with the United Nations Common System or other similar international organizations is desirable.
Professional experience in management of engineering contracts and change order requests during execution phase are desirable.
Two years or more of experience in data analytics or related area is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this post, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of other UN official languages is desirable.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; UNON Engineer, (Project Post) Jobs in Kenya
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!