United Nations Procurement Officer - Jobs in Kenya
United Nations Procurement Officer - Jobs in Kenya
Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Office at Nairobi (UNON) is the United Nations headquarters in Africa and the representative office of the Secretary-General. We support programme implementation of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), the Resident Coordinator System (RCS) and the United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UNHabitat) globally, as well as other United Nations offices in Kenya, by providing administrative, conference and information services (www.unon.org).
This post is located in the United Nations Office at Nairobi, Procurement Section at the Nairobi duty Station. Under the overall supervision of the Chief, Procurement Section the incumbent will perform the following duties:Responsibilities
• Plans, develops and manages all procurement and contractual aspects of projects of significant complexity related to worldwide procurement of diverse services and commodities (e.g. information technology, electronic equipment and instruments, vehicles, medicines, foodstuffs, building maintenance materials, office supplies, construction, furniture, etc.), taking into account local economic and other conditions.
• Advises requisitioning units and recipient entities on the full range of procurement issues, providing support and guidance at all stage of the procurement cycle.
• Prepares/oversees preparation and distribution of invitations to tender and manages/conducts all aspects of bid/proposal evaluations.
• Formulates strategies and designs innovative solutions to resolve issues/conflicts for complex procurement projects.
• Establishes and maintains work program and schedule for ongoing contracts and newly-planned ones.
• Participates in negotiations with senior supplier representatives; signs procurement orders up to the authorized limit, and, in cases where the amount exceeds authorized signature authority, prepares submissions to the Contracts Committee for review and subsequent approval by the authorized official.
• Conducts market research to keep abreast of market developments; researches and analyzes statistical data and market reports on the world commodity situation, production patterns and availability of good and services.
• Identifies new technologies, and products/services, evaluates and recommends potential supply sources and participates in the incorporation of research results into the procurement program.
• Oversees adherence to contractual agreements, recommends amendments and extensions of contracts, and advises concerned parties on contractual rights and obligations.
• Prepares a variety of procurement-related documents, contracts, communications, guidelines, instructions, etc.
• Provides guidance to, and may supervise, new/junior staff.Competencies
: Knowledge of internationally recognized procurement standards and of all phases of international procurement techniques and operations used in contracting for a diverse range of goods and services.
Knowledge of contract law and expertise in handling complex contract issues. Knowledge of quantitative methods to measure supplier capacity systems and ability to identify sources of supply, market trends and pricing. Ability to shape and influence agreements with requisitioning units and vendors.
Ability to apply technical expertise to resolve a range of issues/problems. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
•Planning and Organizing
: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.Education
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business administration, public administration, commerce, engineering, law or a related field. A first-level university degree in combination with two (2) additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.Job - Specific Qualification
Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supplies (CIPS) Level 4 or equivalent professional certification is desirable. Please attach a copy of certificate or a detail explanation demonstrating the status of your certification programme and your progress therein towards completing such certification before 31 December 2022Work ExperienceA minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in procurement, contract management, administration or related area is required.
At least three (3) years of direct first hand work in procurement is required.
Experience in acquisition of strategic, high value and complex scope of goods and services from worldwide sources and for diversified clients in multiple countries is required.
Experience in supervising a procurement team that manages the acquisition of diversified categories of goods and services to support multiple clients is desirable.
Experience working with a Systems, Application and Products (SAP) system or another
Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this post fluency in English (both oral and written) is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is desirable.
NOTE: "Fluency equals a rating of "fluent" in all four areas (read, write, speak, understand) and " Knowledge of" equals a rating of " confident" in two of the four areas.
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by competency-based interview.
How to apply
For more information and job application details, see; United Nations Procurement Officer Jobs in Kenya
Find daily jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!