United Nations Human Resources Officer Jobs in Uganda
United Nations Human Resources Officer Jobs in Uganda
Org. Setting and Reporting The Department of Operational Support (DOS) was established to provide end-to-end operational support, advisory services and other solutions to operating entities across the Secretariat, including departments, offices away from headquarters, peace operations, and regional commissions.
The Regional Service Centre in Entebbe, Uganda (RSCE), was established in July 2010, following the adoption of General Assembly resolution 64/269. The Centre provides efficient, client-oriented and scalable services with the goal of moving transactional, non-location-dependent administrative functions to the Centre from its client entities. This includes transactional elements of human resources, finance, multimodal movement and control, personnel and cargo transport and information and communications technology (ICT) support.
This position is located in the Uniformed Personnel Service Line. The Human Resources Officer at this level reports to the Service Line Manager.
Under the direct supervision of the Service Line Manager, the Human Resources Officer supports the Centre with the determination and implementation of Benefits & Entitlements of staff and uniformed personnel of the client missions, as well as the staff of the RSCE, covering life and career events from pre-appointment to separation, while ensuring transparency, accuracy and ensuring full compliance with Staff Rules and Regulations.
Within delegated authority, the Human Resources Officer will carry out the following duties:
• Provides guidance and direction to the Allowance & Payments and Benefits & Entitlements service delivery area consisting of 12 service lines.
• Provides advice and support to managers and staff on human resources related matters.
• Prepares special reports and participates in and/ or leads special human resources projects.
• Keeps abreast of developments in various areas of human resources.
Administration of Benefits and Entitlements
• Provides advice on interpretation and application of policies, regulations and rules.
Reviews and provides advice on exceptions to policies, regulations and rules.
• Administers and provides advice on salary and related benefits, travel, and social security entitlements in full compliance with the staff rules and regulations.
• Determines and recommends benefits and entitlements for staff on the basis of contractual status.
• Reviews policies and procedures and recommends changes as required.
• Reviews and recommends level of remuneration for consultants.
• Supervises and monitors the work of Human Resources Assistants in carrying out all human resources administrative transactions, including preparation of personnel actions, maintenance of staffing stables, and processing of contracts.
• Prepare staff members’ entitlements including claims, danger pay, daily subsistence allowance, mission subsistence allowance for Government Provided Personnel and Individual Uniformed Personnel, volunteer living allowance and any other allowances for payments in conformity and adherence to applicable United Nations policies, particularly staff rules, financial regulations, and ST/AI issuances or practices, IPSAS policy framework etc.
• Processes the entitlements, benefits and payroll for the international and national civilian staff and non-staff on behalf of the Client Missions and /or the RSCE, as well as claims for official travel and expense reimbursements.
• Manage the service line as appropriate in the business processes related to payroll, leave entitlements contract extensions, other entitlements, separations and final payments for civilian staff, non-staff and uniformed personnel.
• Monitors and evaluates the effectiveness of related guidelines, staff rules, HR rules and regulations, practices and procedures, and makes recommendations through the Service Delivery Manager where necessary.
• Ensures accurate processing of entitlements and benefits of international staff members in the RSCE, such as personnel administration of contracts, personnel administration of movements, time management and separations.
• Provides advice to internal and external clients on benefits and entitlements, staff rules and regulations and HR guideline, and promotes a collaborative and client-oriented approach.
• Determines, certifies, and processes financial entitlements related to appointments, reassignments, ongoing entitlements and salaries.
• Ensures accurate and complete submission of claims and entitlements.
• Reviews and revises HR policy guidelines relating to benefits and entitlements as deemed necessary.
• Performs HR administration of benefits and entitlements in Umoja in line with the delegation of authority.
• Advises and counsels staff in respect of rights, responsibilities, code of conduct and difficulties associated with work and entitlements.
• Provides general office support services: drafts and / or processes a variety of correspondences and other communications.
• Sets up and maintains reference files/ records (electronic and paper).
• Schedules appointments/ meetings, monitors deadlines, etc.
• Undertakes research on a range of HR related issues and assists in the preparation of notes/ reports.
• Maintains automated database containing HR related statistics and prepares periodic reports.
• Assists in the preparation of necessary documentation for distribution to the service line and the client missions.
• Performs a variety of administrative duties (e.g leave recording, request for office supplies and equipment etc.).
• May provide guidance/ training to less experienced staff.
• Performs any other duties as required.
Professionalism – Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
Client Orientation - Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Planning & Organizing - Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; -Uses time efficiently.
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business or public administration, finance, human resources management, social sciences, education, or in a related field is required.
A first-level university degree, with 7 years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Job - Specific Qualification
Relevant training in areas of human resources systems, databases and Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) or System Application Product (SAP) is desirable.
At least five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in human resources
management, administration or related area at the national and at the international level is required. In case of Bachelor’s degree holders, seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience will be necessary.
Experience with human resources systems and management in an international setting is desirable.
Experience working in a United Nations common system field operation (inclusive of
peacekeeping, political missions and UN agencies, funds and programmes) – or similar
international organization or non-governmental organization – in a conflict or post-conflict
setting is desirable.
Experience with human resources systems (SAP) and administering entitlements in an
international setting is desirable.
Experience in providing HR services to Individual uniformed personnel in Peacekeeping Mission is desirable.
Experience working in a Shared Service Centre is desirable.
Experience in managing staff is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English (both oral and written) is required. Knowledge of French is desirable.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; United Nations Human Resources Officer Jobs in Uganda
Find jobs in Uganda. Jobs - Uganda jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Ugandan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Uganda.
Jobs in Uganda - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Uganda.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Uganda posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Best Africa Jobs.