United Nations Human Resources Assistant Jobs in Kenya
United Nations Human Resources Assistant Jobs in Kenya
Org. Setting and Reporting The United Nations Office at Nairobi (UNON) is the UN headquarters in Africa and the Director-General of UNON is the representative of the Secretary-General in Kenya. UNON supports programme implementation of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP),the United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat) and the Resident Coordination System (RCS) globally, as well as other UN offices in Kenya, by providing administrative, security, conference and information services (www.unon.org).
Those positions are located in the United Nations Office at Nairobi (UNON), Human Resources Management Service (HRMS), Talent Management Centre (TMC). The Human Resources Assistant will report to the Human Resources Officer.
Within delegated authority, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
Recruitment and Placement:
• Participates in the selection of candidates for secretarial, clerical and related categories positions; including evaluating and screening applications of such candidates, preparing profiles of candidates, and conducting preliminary interviews, and conducting roster searches for vacancies and identifying short-lists of candidates.
• Assists in the filling of posts for all categories, including initiating and following-up on reference checks and academic verifications, ensuring the completion of the pre-recruitment formalities, calculating salaries and related benefits, and preparing and dispatching offers of appointment and Statement of Emoluments.
• Assists in the recruitment of consultants and individual contracts, including posting of job openings, review and placement of consultants and individual contractors.
• Assists in organizing and coordinating competitive recruitment examinations.
• Oversees the maintenance of vacancy announcement files and tracking status of vacancy announcements.
• Reviews and processes personnel actions through the Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems (known as Umoja in the UN).
Staff Development and Career Support Training:
• Assists in the organization and conducts of training courses and workshops.
• Assists in reviewing and processing requests for classification.
• Provides advice and answers general queries on classification procedures and processes.
• Maintains HR related automated systems and applications including automated databases containing HR related statistics and prepares periodic reports.
• Undertakes research on a range of HR related issues and assists in the preparation of notes/reports.
• Provides general office support services; processes, drafts, edits, proofreads and finalizes for signature/approval a variety of correspondence and other communications; sets up and maintains files/records (electronic and paper); schedules appointments/meetings, monitors deadlines, etc.
• Prepares written response to queries concerning HR related matters.
• Trains and provides supervision to new and lower-level staff in the unit.
• Performs other related duties as required.
Professionalism: Knowledge of human resources policies, procedures and practices and ability to interpret and apply them in an organizational setting. Demonstrates use of initiative and makes appropriate linkages in work requirements and anticipates next steps. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender
perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Completion of High school diploma or equivalent is required. Supplemental training in human resources, administration or related area is required.
Passing the Global General Service Test (GGST) is a prerequisite for recruitment consideration in the General Services and related categories in the United Nations Secretariat. The GGST is administered to applicants when required before the administration of a written assessment and/or interview.
Successful passing of the Administrative Support Assessment Test (ASAT) in English at the United Nations Headquarters (UNHQ), Economic Commission for Africa (ECA), Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (ESCWA), United Nations Office at Geneva (UNOG), United Nations Office at Vienna (UNOV), International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR) or International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) may be accepted in lieu of the GGST.
A minimum of seven (7) years of progressive work experience in human resources, administration or related field is required.
Experience in the whole recruitment process from vacancy building to onboarding of staff is required.
Experience in the use of recruitment and outreach tools like PeopleSoft or Inspira is required.
Experience in using Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems such as SAP is desirable.
Experience in the engagement and processing of consultant and individual contractor contracts is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Fluency in French or Spanish is required.
NOTE: “Fluency equals a rating of “fluent” in all four areas (read, write, speak, understand) and “ Knowledge of” equals a rating of “ confident” in two of the four areas.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; United Nations Human Resources Assistant Jobs in Kenya
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Best Africa Jobs.