United Nations Environment Programme Senior Administrative Officer Jobs in Kenya
United Nations Environment Programme Senior Administrative Officer Jobs in Kenya
Org. Setting and Reporting The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment.
This post is located in UNEP’s Operations and Risk Management Section, Corporate Services Division at the Nairobi duty station. Under the supervision of the Deputy Director Corporate Services Division, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
• Provides policy guidance for the organization, on conceptual strategy development and management of the implementation of overall strategies policies and procedures in the areas of administration –facilities management, environmental management, asset management, enterprise risk management, audit management and liaison, travel, archives and records management.
• Acts as a liaison with the United Nations Office at Nairobi (UNON), UN Secretariat in New York, and other UN entities on issues related to operations, including identifying best practices in administration models. Represents the organization in meetings and relevant committees including UN Management Reform.
• Plans and oversees the management of activities undertaken by the section; ensures that substantive work programmes and programmed activities are carried out in a timely fashion, coordinating diverse projects in the section, and, in liaison with other organizations of the United Nations System, donors and agencies as appropriate.
• Manages, supervises and carries out the facilities management, environmental management, asset management, travel, archives and records management, enterprise risk management, audit management and liaison, UN reform including BOS work programmes of the section under his/her responsibility.
• Co-ordinates the work carried out by the section; and provides substantive advice to the divisions and MEA’s.
• Ensures that the section maintain high-quality standards and provides client-oriented services that are innovative, effective and efficient.
• Determines programmatic/administrative priorities and allocates resources necessary for the completion of outputs and functioning of the Section, including preparation of work plan inputs, budgets, assigning and monitoring of performance parameters and critical indicators, reporting on budget/programme performance, preparation of inputs for results-based budgeting and ensures timely delivery on tasks.
• Manages, guides, develops and trains staff under his/her supervision including evaluation of staff performance (PAS) and recruitment.
• Fosters teamwork and communication among staff in the section and across organizational boundaries.
• Performs other related duties as required.
Knowledge of the UN administrative field of work in general experience in the specific areas being supervised. Ability to apply UN rules, regulations, policies and guidelines in work situations. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Planning & Organizing:
Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains
productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Serves as a role model that other people want to follow: empowers others to translate vision into results; is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives; establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support; anticipates and resolves conflicts by pursuing mutually agreeable solutions; drives for change and improvements; does not accept the status quo; shows the courage to take unpopular stands.
Provides leadership and takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work; demonstrates knowledge of strategies and commitment to the goal of gender balance in staffing.
Identifies strategic issues, opportunities and risks; clearly communicates links between the Organization’s strategy and the work unit’s goals; generates and communicates broad and compelling organizational direction, inspiring others to pursue that same direction; conveys enthusiasm about future possibilities.
Delegates the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority; makes sure that roles, responsibilities and reporting lines are clear to each staff member; accurately judges the amount of time and resources needed to accomplish a task and matches task to skills; monitors progress against milestones and deadlines; regularly discusses performance and provides feedback and coaching to staff; encourages risk-taking and supports creativity and initiative; actively supports the development and career aspirations of staff; appraises performance fairly.
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business or public administration, finance, accounting, law or other related areas is a requirement.
A first-level university degree in combination with two (2) years of qualifying work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of ten (10) years of progressively responsible experience in at least three of the following areas is required: general administration, facilities management, environmental management, contract management, archives management, travel, risk management, audit liaison, management of service providers.
Experience in administrative management and in the use of administrative modules of SAP or other similar Enterprise Resources Planning systems (ERPs) is desirable.
Experience with organizational reform and common services initiatives is desirable.
At least five years of international experience preferably in the United Nations or other similar international organization is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this position, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another United Nations language is an added advantage.
NOTE: "fluency equals a rating of "fluent" in all four areas (read, write, speak, understand) and "Knowledge of" equals a rating of "confident" in two of the four areas.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; United Nations Environment Programme Senior Administrative Officer Jobs in Kenya
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Africa Jobs.