United Nations Environment Programme Programme Management Officer Jobs in Kenya
United Nations Environment Programme Programme Management Officer Jobs in KenyaOrganisational Setting and Reporting The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment.
The UNEP's Science Division is responsible for analyzing the state of the global environment, providing early warning information and assessing global and regional environmental trends to catalyze and promote international cooperation and action on the environment. This post is located in the Global Environment Monitoring Unit of the Science Division.
The UN Environment Assembly (UNEA) Resolution 3/10 on 'Addressing water pollution to protect and restore water-related ecosystems' requested UNEP to develop a global water quality assessment in collaboration with UN-Water members and other relevant stakeholders.
In addition to collaborating in the development and delivery of the global assessment, a group of more than 50 organizations have formed the 'World Water Quality Alliance' (WWQA), that acts as a global community of practice on water quality science, technology innovation and solutions.
The Alliance acts as a transdisciplinary mechanism identifying, prioritizing and addressing water quality issues of key concern, as well as implications across the SDGs and human and ecosystem wellbeing in general.
The goal is to provide governments and relevant stakeholders with evidence-based information, scenarios, solutions on water quality and related development issues. Striving for delivery of end-to-end value chains of information services, the Alliance, convened by UNEP, aims at framing and informing a trajectory from data to actionable knowledge and transformation.
Scales of action range from global to national and sub-national including active stakeholder engagement.
The World Water Quality Alliance (WWQA) was formally launched in September 2019, bringing together a wide range of expertise from UN-Water members, international research institutes, space agencies and Earth Observation Services, private sector and civil society to tackle the global water quality crisis.
Under the supervision of the Head of Global Environment Monitoring Unit, Science Division, the incumbent will be responsible for the following:
• Leads the implementation and the overall project management of activities as relating to the World Water Quality Alliance (WWQA); monitors progress and identifies problems and issues to be addressed and initiates corrective actions; Coordinates activities related to financial managements (progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and prepares related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.).
• Oversees the membership of the World Water Quality Alliance and actively identifies and seeks engagement of new strategic and technical partners; Supports the Strategic and Technical Advisory Committees of the Alliance and coordinates implementation of their relevant decisions and annual and intersessional meetings; Plans, organizes and coordinates the annual global meetings of the World Water Quality Alliance and facilitates intersessional meetings (largely remotely) through the UN-Water Expert Group for Water Quality and Waste Water, which functions as a main communication and agenda setting mechanism;
• Coordinates and contributes to assessments, reports and other products and services under the umbrella of the World Water Quality Alliance, including the coordination of inputs of technical implementing partners; researches, analyzes and presents information gathered from diverse sources;
• Organizes and prepares written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, as relevant to water quality in and beyond the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) sustainability context and the work of the Alliance;
• Develops and implements an innovative water quality outreach and knowledge management strategy and products; makes presentations on topics relevant to the work of the Alliance
• Leads further resource mobilization for the work of the Alliance and coordinates with partners widely to that effect;
• Coordinates with and supports relevant workflows in the Integrated Monitoring Initiative on SDG 6 (UN-Water) and the UNEP Global Environment Monitoring System for Freshwater (UNEP/GEMS/Water).
• Performs other duties as required;
Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to the water sector. Ability to identify issues, identify key strategic and technical partners on global to national and sub-national scale across all levels of society. Ability to analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Ability to conduct data collection using various methods. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases. Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Planning and Organizing
Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Considers all those to whom services are provided to be 'clients' and seeks to see things from clients' point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients' needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients' environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
• Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in environmental management, water management, hydrology, geography or related area is required. A first level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
• A minimum of seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience in programme coordination, environmental management, water management, research coordination or related area is required.
• Experience working in international and intergovernmental settings coordinating global projects and managing expert and stakeholder networks and work experience in developing country context is desirable.
• Languages: English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language would be an asset.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; United Nations Environment Programme Programme Management Officer Jobs in Kenya
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs.Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Job Vacancies in Africa.