United Nations Environment Programme Legal Officer Jobs in Kenya
United Nations Environment Programme Legal Officer Jobs in KenyaJob Details Organisational Setting and Reporting The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment.
This position is located in the Green Climate Fund Coordination Office in the UNEP Corporate Services Division at the Nairobi duty station.
As an Accredited Entity for the Green Climate Fund (GCF), UNEP offers countries specialized technical services for program/project formulation, due diligence, mobilization of required co-financing, project implementation oversight, evaluation, results-based payments, and knowledge management.
The Green Climate Fund Coordination Office hosted by UNEP/Corporate Services Division, is mandated to manage UNEP's partnership with the Green Climate Fund.
The GCF Coordination Office is also required to track and follow a complex variety of different policies, rules, regulations, procedures, and other obligations of UNEP and global environmental funds, ensuring effective compliance and harmonization. .
Under the direct supervision of the Head, Green Climate Fund Coordination Office, the incumbent will serve as a Legal Officer in UNEP's engagement with the Green Climate Fund Secretariat, and will be responsible for the following duties:
• Tracking the policies, rules, regulations, procedures, obligations, and other requirements of the Green Climate Fund and advising on the legal implications for UNEP.
• Advising on UNEP's compliance with the Green Climate Fund policies and fiduciary requirements.
• Coordinating with relevant UNEP Divisions and offices to ensure full and timely compliance with Green Climate Fund policies and fiduciary requirements, fostering both pro-active and remedial action as necessary;
• Planning, monitoring and ensuring compliance with policies, rules, regulations, obligations and other requirements of the Green Climate Fund; including internal operating procedures and other mechanisms as appropriate for both full funding proposals and readiness grants.
• Reviewing all Green Climate Fund project submissions (to ensure compliance with UNEP's fiduciary accreditation level) and advising on areas for improvement as necessary.
• Performing extensive legal research and analysis and preparing due diligence reports, determinations, briefs and correspondence, in particular to meet Green Climate Fund requirements related to Prohibited Practices, Anti-money laundering, Fraud and corruption; providing legal advice to the unit/division.
• Reviewing, advising and negotiating on and drafting complex contracts, agreements, institutional and operational management alternatives, or legal submissions and other legal documents related to the Green Climate Fund and engaging the relevant divisions and offices and other departments as required.
• Working with Portfolio and Task Mangers to negotiate all terms sheets and Funded Activity Agreements (FAAs) between UNEP and Green Climate Fund and related documentation for all approved Green Climate Fund projects and contributing to their effectiveness and execution.
• Preparing and submitting all relevant corporate reports required for the Green Climate Fund under UNEP Accreditation Master Agreement and Funded Activity Agreements (FAAs), including the annual self-assessment report; Preparing all re-accreditation and upgrade accreditation applications for UNEP's engagement with Green Climate Fund as necessary.
• Coordinating input into and drafting high-quality briefing notes and other management communications for Green Climate Fund Coordination Office and / or senior management as required.
• Serving as liaison officer with the Senior Legal Advisor in Corporate Services Division for advice and guidance related to the Green Climate Fund as and when needed to allow for alignment with UNEP corporate position.
• PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge of, and ability to apply, legal principles, concepts and procedures and terminology for review, examination, and processing of a range of legal documents. Knowledge of various legal research sources, including electronic, and ability to conduct research and analyze information on a wide range of legal issues. Knowledge of the civil law and/or common law legal systems and principles. Ability to interpret and apply legislative instruments, develop and present results, recommendations, and opinions clearly and concisely. Ability to draft legal papers and work under pressure. Ability to apply good legal judgment in the context of assignments given. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; Remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
• COMMUNICATION: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
• TEAMWORK: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; Solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; Is willing to learn from others; Places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
• PLANNING & ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
• Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in law. A first-level university degree in combination with two (2) additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced degree.
• A minimum of seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience in law, including legal analysis, research and writing is required.
• Experience working with UN entities and/or inter-governmental organizations on public corporate legal issues is highly desirable.
• Experience in providing advice to governments or non-government organizations on environmental projects compliance issues is a distinct advantage.
• Experience working with the Green Climate Fund on fiduciary standards and development of corporate agreements is desirable.
• Experience with UN or similar organization is desirable.
• Languages; English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Working knowledge of another UN Official language is an advantage.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; United Nations Environment Programme Legal Officer Jobs in Kenya
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Job Vacancies in Africa.