United Nations Chief of Section, Logistics Jobs in Kenya
United Nations Chief of Section, Logistics Jobs in Kenya
Org. Setting and Reporting The United Nations Office at Nairobi (UNON) is the UN headquarters in Africa and the Director-General of UNON is the representative of the Secretary-General in Kenya. UNON supports programme implementation of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP),the United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat) and the Resident Coordination System (RCS) globally, as well as other UN offices in Kenya, by providing administrative, security, conference and information services (www.unon.org).
This position is located at the United Nations Office at Nairobi (UNON). The Chief of Design and Construction reports to the Principal Programme Management Officer, for the UNON Conference Upgrade project, Division of Administrative Services, UNON.
Under the general guidance of the Principal Programme Management Officer, the incumbent will be responsible for the design and construction-related planning and execution tasks required for the implementation of the UNON Conference Upgrade project, entailing the renovation and upgrade of the existing conference facilities in Nairobi over an 8 year period.
The project will be executed in line with the established project scope and key performance indicators, which includes large-scale relocation of the existing conference functions of the organization, while ensuring business continuity of conference operations for major UN Secretariat clients including United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and United Nations Human Settlement Programme (UN-Habitat) running conferences at the UN Nairobi complex throughout the construction. In this context, the incumbent will perform the following duties:
• Leads, supervises and carries out the work programme of the Service under his/her responsibility. Establishes and maintains the Project Management Plan for site operations, project guidelines, policies, procedures and performance standards. Implements the project management plan in all phases of the project. Reviews and recommends for approval all design and construction contracts and work products submitted. Co-ordinates the work carried out by the UNON Conference Upgrade project team, including consultants, the liaison staff and other UNON entities; provides programmatic/substantive reviews of the work prepared by others to ensure all resources are used properly in order to achieve all UNON Conference Upgrade project goals and objectives.
• Reviews and submits for final approval of the Principal Programme Management Officer technical design drawings and specifications, owner's reports, monthly design and construction invoices, master cost breakdowns, general conditions estimates, and labor cost reports. Reviews and approves weekly and monthly project reports from project design consultants and contractors.
• Supports the preparation of reports for presentation to intergovernmental bodies such as the Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budget Questions, Committee for Programme Coordination, the General Assembly, and internal and external auditors, as appropriate.
• Ensures that the outputs produced by the Service maintain high-quality standards; that design and construction-related work products are clear, objective and based on comprehensive data. Ensures that all outputs produced by the Sections under his/her supervision meet required standards before completion to ensure they comply with the relevant mandates.
• Assists the Principal Programme Management Officer in preparing the work programme of the UNON Conference Upgrade project, determining priorities, and allocating resources for the completion of outputs and their timely delivery. Coordinates the preparation of the schedule and long term planning, monitor/control construction to ensure the project is executed on schedule and within budget.
• Recruits staff, taking due account of geographical and gender balance.
• Manages, guides, develops and trains staff under his/her supervision.
• Fosters teamwork and communication among staff in the Service and across organizational boundaries.
• Represents the UNON Conference Upgrade project team at international, regional or national meetings.
Performs additional tasks as and when requested.
Professionalism: Knowledge of the contracting and construction management issues, particularly codes and legal requirements preferably in the host county or a similar environment. Demonstrates ability to implement major capital projects effectively, on time and budget. Ability to produce reports and papers on technical issues and to review and edit the work of others. Competency in the use of relevant information technology and systems. Ability to apply UN rules, regulations, policies and guidelines in work situations. Ability to work with people from various cultures and professions.
Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Leadership: Serves as a role model that other people want to follow: empowers others to translate vision into results; is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives; establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support; anticipates and resolves conflicts by pursuing mutually agreeable solutions; drives for change and improvements; does not accept the status quo; shows the courage to take unpopular stands. Provides leadership and takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Managing Performance: Delegates the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority; makes sure that roles, responsibilities and reporting lines are clear to each staff member; accurately judges the amount of time and resources needed to accomplish a task and matches task to skills; monitors progress against milestones and deadlines; regularly discusses performance and provides feedback and coaching to staff; encourages risk-taking and supports creativity and initiative; actively supports the development and career aspirations of staff; appraises performance fairly.
Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in project management, engineering, architecture, construction management, or related area is required.
A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree. Professional certification or membership of chartered institutes is desirable.
A minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible experience in managing large-scale construction or renovation projects, ranging from planning, design and execution, or in overseeing and directing large-scale business relocation and rehabilitation projects is required.
A track record of implementing major projects effectively, on time and budget is required.
Experience in working with executive governance boards, public sector and/or external audiences is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is desirable.
NOTE "Fluency equals a rating of "fluent” in all four areas (read, write, speak, understand) and " Knowledge of equals a rating of' confident" in two of the four areas.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; United Nations Chief of Section, Logistics Jobs in Kenya
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Best Africa Jobs.