United Nations Chief Digital Officer Jobs in Kenya
United Nations Chief Digital Officer Jobs in Kenya
Org. Setting and Reporting The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment.
UNEP’s Medium-Term Strategy 2022-2025 sets an ambitious course to harness data and digital technologies and innovations to better serve Member States and partners in their efforts to tackle the triple planetary crises of climate change, nature loss and pollution. Through a process of scanning, testing, and scaling relevant digital technologies, UNEP aims to become an increasingly data-driven, agile, transparent, and effective organization.
UNEP’s digital transformation vision focuses on developing the organization’s capability to leverage existing, emerging and future data and digital technologies and the opportunities they offer to profoundly improve the way UNEP creates and delivers value and benefits for those we serve. The vision is based on an open innovation approach enabling the effective co-design of innovative solutions with strategic partners, civil society and citizens.
A key role in delivering UNEP’s digital transformation change management process is the Chief Digital Officer (CDO). The CDO provides leadership for and support to UNEP’s digital transformation in line with the Medium-Term Strategy 2022-2025 and the Programme of Work 2022-2023.
This post is located in UNEP's Executive Office, at the Nairobi duty station.
Under the overall guidance of the Executive Director, the incumbent will be responsible for the following functions:
Strategic vision and coordination of UNEP’s digital transformation:
• Provide strategic guidance to the implementation of UNEP’s digital transformation.
• Further develop UNEPs digital transformation strategy outlining concrete priority areas for the use of digital innovations to enhance the accountability, efficiency, results-orientation, and responsiveness of programs.
• Keep abreast of innovations and emerging applications of digital technologies to support their testing, validation, and scaling in UNEP while ensuring synergies are built between different work processes.
• Serve as a member of UNEP’s Senior Management Team and other related forums to ensure programmatic, policy, external relations, operational, and other activities are fully supported by appropriate digital technologies.
• Provision of strategic advice and support to the Executive Office and Senior Management Team of UNEP in relation to transforming UNEP’s business model through digital technologies.
Lead the implementation process for UNEP internal Digital Transformation pathway:
• Serve as the digital champion and lead for implementation of a series of high-level lighthouse programs that leverage digital transformations as a key enabler for sustainability and climate action.
• Develop an open innovation program, that leverage innovation processes, (i.e., hackathons, challenges, prizes) to identify, co-design and accelerate innovative digital solutions for environmental protection and climate action.
• Act as a trusted technical advisor to Divisional and Regional Directors, and other senior staff of UNEP as they set about digitally transforming their respective areas of work.
• Use change management expertise and an end-to-end understanding of the digital value chain to coach project teams on driving enterprise change and internal collaboration.
• Manage the financial resources assigned to the internal Digital Transformation pathway workplan.
Advocacy, engagement and partnerships:
• Represent UNEP in relevant forums and events related to digital transformation and digital technologies to raise the profile of the organization and support for its work.
• In close cooperation with divisions and regional offices, forge public-private partnerships with external actors supportive of UNEP’s mission and capable of advancing UNEP’s digital transformation objectives.
• Ensure donor engagement, partnership, and resource mobilization for the implementation of the internal Digital Transformation pathway, including from the private sector and relevant foundations.
• Develop strategic partnerships with private sector (leading ICT companies, digital start-ups and tech4good programs) for the co-design of highly innovative, citizen-centered tech solutions for environmental protection and climate action.
Knowledge management and technical advice:
• Supports the development of innovative learning programs for UNEP personnel on
digital innovations, sustainability, and the intersection between digital and green transformation.
• Provide thought leadership on how digital technologies can transform UNEP’s work including policy, programming, operations, and advocacy and external relations.
• In close collaboration with Corporate Services Division, empower UNEP colleagues to build skills and knowledge in the area of digital transformation.
• Convene an informal digital champions group of UNEP personnel committed to driving forward the digital transformation vision as a new community of practice.
Perform any other related duties as assigned by the Supervisor.
Professionalism: Expert knowledge of and digital transformation issues. Demonstrated capabilities as evident from published papers and experience programming, assessments, and provision of advice, as well as work experience in the policy domain. Familiarity with issues of relevance to both developing and developed countries and at different scales from global to local. Shows pride in work and in achievements.
Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively. Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately. Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication. Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience. Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals. Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others. Places team agenda before personal agenda. Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position. Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Vision: Identifies strategic issues, opportunities and risks. Clearly communicates links between the Organization’s strategy and the work unit’s goals. Generates and communicates broad and compelling organizational direction, inspiring others to pursue that same direction. Conveys enthusiasm about future possibilities.
An advanced university degree (Masters or equivalent) in Information and Communication Technology, Informatics, Management Information System, Computer Science, Business, Management, environmental science, or related disciplines is required.
A first level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced degree.
A minimum of fifteen (15) years of progressively responsible work experience in the field of innovation, green technology, digital strategies, organizational management, digital change management, corporate ICT services is required.
A minimum of five (5) years of strategic and managerial experience at a senior level and in managing complex processes and portfolios is required.
Experience in identifying/developing and applying digital solutions to an organization’s (either public or private sector), business challenges, with demonstrated application of new technologies to one or more business areas is required.
Experience in forming partnerships in the field of digital technologies to advance organizational objectives is required.
Experience in undertaking change management and culture change activities to support an organization’s transformation is desirable.
Experience working with the United Nations Common System or other international organizations is desirable.
Direct experience in implementing digital transformation programs across different sectors in developing countries is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.
NOTE: "Fluency equals a rating of "fluent" in all four areas (read, write, speak, understand) and "Knowledge of" equals a rating of "confident" in two of the four areas.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; United Nations Chief Digital Officer Jobs in Kenya
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Best Africa Jobs.