United Nations Associate Programme Management Officer Jobs in Kenya
United Nations Associate Programme Management Officer Jobs in Kenya
Org. Setting and Reporting The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations System and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment.
The overall objective of UNEP's Economy Division is to encourage decision makers in government, local authorities and industry to develop and adopt policies, strategies and practices and technologies that promote sustainable patterns of consumption and production, make efficient use of natural resources, ensure safe management of chemicals and contribute to making trade and environment policies mutually supportive.
It promotes the development, use and transfer of policies, technologies, economic instruments, managerial practices and other tools that assist in environmentally sound decision making and the building of corresponding activities.
The position is located in the Economy Division, Chemicals and Health Branch, Sustainable Mobility Unit (http://www.unep.org/transport/) at the UNEP Headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya. The staff member will assist with the development of transport and digitalization project.
Under the overall supervision of the Head, Sustainable Mobility Unit and the direct supervision of the Programme Officer, Active Mobility, Digitalization and Mode Integration, the Associate Programme Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
• Work with key clients to facilitate the development, implementation and evaluation of sustainable mobility (particularly active mobility, digitalisation and mode integration) assigned programmes/projects, etc.; monitor and analyze specific aspects of programme/project development and implementation; review relevant documents and reports; identify problems and issues to be addressed and recommends corrective actions; liaise with relevant parties; identify and track follow-up actions.
• Carry out basic research on selected aspects of programmes, operations and other activities, etc., to include collecting, analyzing and presenting statistical data and other information gathered from diverse sources.
• Provide substantive support for policy coordination and evaluation functions, including the review and analysis of emerging issues and trends, participation in evaluations or research activities and studies.
• Assist in performing consulting assignments, in collaboration with the client, by planning facilitating workshops, through other interactive sessions and assist in developing the action plan the client will use to manage the change.
• Participate in survey initiatives; assist with design of data collection tools; issues data collection tools, review, analyze and interpret responses, identify problems/issues and prepare preliminary conclusions.
• Contribute to the preparation of various written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analytical notes, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.
• Provide administrative and substantive support to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying and proposed participants, preparation of background documents and presentations, handling logistics, etc.
• Undertake outreach activities; participate in the development of training workshops, seminars, etc.; participate in and make presentations on assigned topics/activities.
• Participate in field missions, including provision of substantive and administrative support, data collection, etc.
• Coordinate activities related
to budget funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and preparation of related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.).
• Perform other duties as required.
Professionalism: Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches of sustainable mobility (and in particular, and active mobility, digitalisation of transport and mode integration). Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Ability to assist with data collection using various methods. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases. Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise, is willing to learn from others; Places team agenda before personal agenda; Supports and acts in accordance with final group decisions, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; Identifies priority activities and assignments, adjusts priorities as required; Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; Uses time efficiently.
An advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in environmental sciences, engineering, transport, urban planning, business administration, economics or a related field is required.
A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of two years of progressively responsible experience in project/programme management in the field of sustainable mobility is required.
Experience in dealing with international donor organizations (e.g. proposal writing, project reporting, etc.) is desirable.
Practical experience in active mobility, digitalization of transport and mode integration is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this post, fluency English is required. Knowledge of French is desirable. Knowledge of another UN official language is desirable.
NOTE: "Fluency equals a rating of "fluent" in all four areas (read, write, speak, understand) and "Knowledge of" equals a rating of "confident" in two of the four areas.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; United Nations Associate Programme Management Officer Jobs in Kenya
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Best Africa Jobs.