UNICEF International Consultancy- Malaria Control Specialist Jobs in South Sudan
UNICEF International Consultancy- Malaria Control Specialist Jobs in South Sudan
Purpose of Activity/Assignment:
The Malaria Control Specialist reports to the Project Manager for guidance and general supervision. He/She supports the development and preparation of the health programme and is responsible for managing, implementing, monitoring, evaluating, and reporting the programme progress of a sector of the health programme (under Child Health Output) within the country programme. Main Duties and Responsibilities:
As a malaria control specialist supporting the national malaria control program in South Sudan in 2023, the main duties and responsibilities include:Program planning and implementation:Collaborate with stakeholders and partners to develop and implement a comprehensive national malaria control strategy. Ensure that the strategy aligns with the World Health Organization's (WHO) guidelines, national policies, and international best practices. Capacity building and training:
Develop and facilitate training programs for healthcare workers, community health volunteers, and other relevant personnel on malaria prevention, diagnosis, and treatment.
Strengthen the capacity of local health systems to effectively manage and monitor malaria control activities. Surveillance and monitoring:
Develop and implement a robust malaria surveillance system to track malaria cases, monitor trends, and identify high-risk areas.
Regularly assess the effectiveness of malaria control interventions and adapt strategies as needed.
Plan and coordinate vector control activities such as indoor residual spraying (IRS), distribution of insecticide-treated nets (ITNs), and larval source management.
Monitor the insecticide resistance status of local mosquito populations and adjust vector control strategies accordingly.
Support the implementation of effective case management practices, including prompt diagnosis, appropriate treatment, and follow-up care for malaria patients.
Promote the rational use of antimalarial drugs and monitor drug resistance patterns.Health promotion and community engagement:
Design and implement community-based health education and promotion campaigns to raise awareness about malaria prevention and control measures.
Collaborate with community leaders and organizations to ensure that malaria control activities are culturally appropriate and well-received by the target populations.
Resource mobilization and management:
Identify funding opportunities and collaborate with partners to secure resources for malaria control activities.
Manage budgets, track expenditures, and ensure that resources are used efficiently and transparently.
Research and innovation:
Stay updated on the latest research and developments in malaria control and incorporate new strategies and technologies into the national program.
Collaborate with research institutions to conduct operational research that informs evidence-based decision-making.
Reporting and documentation:
Prepare regular progress reports for stakeholders and funding agencies to demonstrate the impact of malaria control activities.
Document best practices, lessons learned, and success stories to share with other malaria control programs and improve overall program effectiveness.
Scope of Work:
The incumbent is assigned all or part of the following responsibilities which are performed according to the needs and agenda:
• Provide technical guidance to the NMCP in developing/updating Integrated strategies for Malaria vector Control Response.
• Support promotion of the IVM approach in South Sudan, including on new tools and technologies in the context of the Global Vector Control Response.
• Guide the NMCP to develop strategy for preparedness and response to outbreaks, in collaboration with the relevant units in the MoH.
• Coordinate collection and analysis of data and all relevant information on Malaria vector control.
• Provide technical guidance and advice to the NMCP and stakeholders in developing and implementing research proposals on various aspects of entomology and vector control in collaboration with relevant partners.
• Identify and contribute to technical assistance and capacity building activities for the NMCP in line with WHO guidance and strategies, including the development of training materials;
• Support training and/or refresher courses for national programme staff and partners on control of VBDs, in close collaboration with broader initiatives.
• Support the development and dissemination of appropriate communication and advocacy materials, information packages and guidelines to engage, educate and empower communities in sustainable behavioral change programmes.
• Support the National Malaria Technical Working Group’s Terms of References and ensure
that regular meetings are
• Support the implementation and monitoring of Malaria control activities in South Sudan in an integrated manner including capacity building activities.
• Perform other related responsibilities as assigned, including replacing and backstopping for others as required
• To support adaptation, dissemination, use and monitoring of norms and standards related to vector and arthropod-borne disease prevention and control, providing expertise and developing/revising of guidelines for South Sudan.
• Document best practices and campaign challenges and need to implement any alternative delivery mechanisms in case of emergencies like flooding, influx of IDPs or intercommunal violence. If there are risks identified, coordinate discussion with UNICEF management, sub-recipient and NMCP for resolution and informing future campaigns.
• Provide technical support to the UNICEF country office in the NFM3 grant PR deliverables by supporting and providing inputs to the required documentation and determination of commodity and programming requirements.
Work Assignment Overview
Tasks/Milestone: Deliverables/Outputs: Timeline Percentage
Revise supportive supervision guidelines to aid improved service delivery
eview challenges in scaling up of IPTp and recommendations for implementation
Report for supportive supervision with specific challenges and support provided
Draft of the implementation plan to address the recommendations for scaling up IPTp in South Sudan 3rd – 31st July 2023 (21days) 15%
Training of health workers in malaria case management Report on case management trainings provided 1st – 31st August 2023 (23 days) 15%
Support implementation of the Malaria Therapeutic Efficacy study
Report on the performance of the TES study 1st – 29th September 2023 (21 days) 20%
Support implementation of the Malaria Indicator survey Report on performance of the MIS survey 2nd – 31st October 2023 (22 days) 20%
Conducting facility audits for malaria service quality improvement
Report on the assessment conducted and findings and recommendations submitted 1st – 30th Nov 2022 (22 Days) 15%
Quarterly progress review
Quarterly report on the progress of the NMCP in the implementation of the annual plan
Submit Annual Workplan of the NMCP 1st – 29th Dec 2023 (21 Days) 15%
Minimum Qualifications required: Knowledge/Expertise/Skills required:
Advance University degree in one of the following fields is required: public health, paediatric health, family health, health research, global/international health, health policy and/or management, epidemiology, or another relevant technical field. Public Health or Post graduate study in Clinical or Community Health
• A minimum of 8 or more years of relevant professional experience in management, coordination and technical expertise, preferably with a track record of successful Infectious disease program management.
• Experience in health program/project development in UN system agency or organization is an asset.
• Experience working in the region is an asset.
• Diplomacy, conflict management, flexibility, understanding of local cultural and social practices are key success factors for this consultancy.
A range of specialized skills:
• Excellent oral and written communication skills and report writing.
• In-depth analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Excellent facilitation skills, training skills and ability to organize and implement training.
• Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment and proven interpersonal skills.
• Experience in building successful relationships with government counterparts, UN agencies, CSOs and other relevant stakeholders.
• Ability to cope with hardship conditions.
• Knowledge of computer management skills including Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint software.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; UNICEF International Consultancy- Malaria Control Specialist Jobs in South Sudan
Find daily jobs in South Sudan. Jobs - South Sudan jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest South Sudan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in South Sudan.
Jobs in South Sudan - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in South Sudan.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in South Sudan posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to 3 Best Africa Jobs.