UNICEF Communication Specialist Jobs in Ethiopia
UNICEF Communication Specialist Jobs in Ethiopia
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, opportunity
How can you make a difference?
The Communication Specialist is accountable for developing, managing, coordinating, networking, implementing, and monitoring an advocacy and communication strategy and associated products and activities on the on-going humanitarian crisis in northern Ethiopia. The Communication Specialist will also focus on donor communications by developing and managing a donor visibility communication strategy and developing multimedia content to provide donor visibility in both a humanitarian and development context.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Develop, maintain, and update the advocacy and communication strategy and associated work plan for northern Ethiopia. Strategy and work plan include: objectives; target audiences; messages and media mix; resources; specific actions, activities and products; monitoring and evaluation of impact; success and opportunity for improvement; ongoing refinement of the strategy.
• UNICEF’s rights- and results-based programming approach is appropriately reflected in the communication strategy, work plan and products.
• Produce and write multimedia content on the humanitarian crisis This includes, production of videos for social media, photo essays and human-interest stories.
• Write press releases, statements, key messages and Q&As and other related documents on the emergency in Northern Ethiopia.
• Promote a better understanding of, respect and support for children's and women's rights and issues by carrying out media, information, and education activities in support of UNICEF-assisted humanitarian efforts in the north of Ethiopia.
• Develop, maintain, and update media relations contact list/database.
• Establish, document, review and refine process of communicating with media contacts, including press conferences and events, issuing of media materials etc.
• Ensure rapid and accurate information dissemination to the media, National Committees, NGOs, the field and other appropriate audiences.
• Identify, develop, distribute, and evaluate variety of media materials in multiple, appropriate formats. Ensure or enhance the quality, appropriateness of country specific communication materials, activities, processes, and messages transmitted to the press, partners and public.
• Collaborate with mass media through activities such as organizing project site visits, facilitating photo coverage and TV footage, and utilizing both web-based and traditional media as appropriate.
• Monitor and evaluate the use and effectiveness of media materials and share results and findings.
Networking and partnerships
• Develop, maintain, and update partners contact list/database.
• Help establish, document, review and refine process of working collaboratively with partners, including meetings, joint projects, information sharing etc.
• Ensure or enhance the quality, consistency and appropriateness of country-specific communication materials, activities, processes, and messages shared with partners.
• Identify opportunities to strengthen the capacity of partners through appropriate advocacy and communication training, access to information, supplies and equipment and through knowledge sharing.
• Monitor, evaluate and share results and findings with partners.
Resource mobilization support
• Mobilize country office communication capacity to support/facilitate the gathering of content and coverage of relevant country efforts. Use the opportunity to identify/highlight effective humanitarian activities and results in support of fund-raising.
• Mobilize resources for fund-raising support by regular communication and co-ordination with relevant communication focal points in regional offices and headquarters divisions.
Donor Communications & Brand
• Develop, manage, and implement donor communication plan to provide
donor visibility to demonstrate results for both humanitarian and development programming.
• Work closely with Donor Relations team to develop, meet donor visibility requirements for donor grants.
• Produce multimedia content to provide donor visibility.
• Track donor visibility content and provide inputs on visibility to donor reports.
• Plan for the visibility requirements of donors/UNICEF in relation to the supply /procurement plan for both humanitarian and development contexts.
• Develop specifications for appropriate visibility items such as stickers, stencils, package prints and advice sections/field offices accordingly.
• Ensure the quality and application of donor/UNICEF visibility according to branding guidelines.
• Follow up with Supply team the procurement of appropriate visibility items.
• Ensure every item procured has appropriate donor/UNICEF visibility before being sent to the field offices or handed over to government and partners.
Monitoring and evaluation
• Provide technical support to ensure that a set of communication performance indicators is identified and adjusted as necessary, and these communication indicators are incorporated or fed into the response plan.
• Conduct timely and accurate monitoring and evaluation activities to ensure the communications objectives are met and the strategy is effective.
• Undertake lessons learned review of successful and unsuccessful communication experiences and share observations/findings with country, regional and HQ communication colleagues so that best practices benefit UNICEF’s communication work.
Capacity building and support
• Advise the Chief of Field Offices, UNICEF management, colleagues and staff on media strategy and implications for action and policies proposed.
• Support communication activities through knowledge management, information exchange and building capacity of the country communications team. Enable appropriate advocacy and communication training, access to information, supplies and equipment, and developing training and orientation material.
• Identify opportunities to strengthen the capacity of partners through appropriate advocacy and communication training.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have
An advanced university degree (Master’s or higher) in journalism, communications, external relations, public affairs, public relations, or corporate communications.
A first University Degree in a relevant field combined with 2 additional years of professional experience may be accepted in lieu of an Advanced University Degree.
A minimum of five (5) years of relevant professional experience in communication, print, broadcast, and/or new media.
Developing country work experience and/or familiarity with emergency is considered an asset.
Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) or a local language is an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate
Core Values (Required)
• Nurtures, Leads and Manages People.
• Demonstrates Self Awareness and Ethical Awareness.
• Works Collaboratively with others.
• Builds and Maintains Partnerships.
• Innovates and Embraces Change.
• Thinks and Acts Strategically.
• Drives to achieve impactful results.
• Manages ambiguity and complexity.
Functional Competencies (Required)
• Persuading and Influencing.
• Applying Technical Expertise.
• Entrepreneurial Thinking.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; UNICEF Communication Specialist Jobs in Ethiopia
Find daily jobs in Ethiopia. Jobs - Ethiopia jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Ethiopian job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Ethiopia.
Jobs in Ethiopia - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Ethiopia.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Ethiopia posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to African Jobs.