UNHCR Project Manager - Coordinator Jobs in Kampala - Uganda
UNHCR Project Manager - Coordinator Jobs in Kampala - UgandaOrganizational Context
Germany has an active UN engagement and is a vocal supporter of UNHCR globally. In 2017, Germany was UNHCR second largest bilateral and overall donor after the US.
Within the last four years, German funds have quadrupled. KFW, one of Germany two major state-owned development agencies, plays a key role in the country policy development, priority setting and implementation.
The bank operates under the political supervision of BMZ, leading Germany financial cooperation.
KfW is an implementing partner of BMZ and the 3rd largest bank in Germany and 2nd largest promotional bank worldwide.
Its funds are derived mainly from the BMZ, some from the FFO (growing), the EU Commission and the Environment Ministry. KfW funding is highly earmarked and multi-year.
As it is project-based, while UNHCR operations are programme-based (with annual budgets), this imposes additional administrative and reporting responsibilities.
UNHCR needs to put in place strong project management and coordination across several sectors and offices of UNHCR. In 13 December 2017, UNHCR signed an agreement with KFW to support refugees and host communities in Northern Uganda for four years commencing in 01 January 2018.
These funds have been made available from the special initiative -Tackling the root causes of displacement, reintegrating refugees, launched by the Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development of the Federal Republic of Germany to support activities of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees in Uganda.
The contribution aims to improve outcomes in Water, Education and Peaceful Co-existence between refugees and host communities, reaching an estimated 640,000 direct beneficiaries.Plans, directs and coordinates project activities ensuring that goals and objectives are accomplished within a prescribed timeframe, funding parameters, project aims and components and UNHCR rules and standards;
- Provides technical and managerial oversight, problem solving, and coordinating activities with stakeholders to ensure continuity of operation and efficient performance of project personnel;
- Is responsible for the whole project cycle management from initiation to project closure including internal and external coordination, advocacy, information management, operational and financial oversight;
- Oversight of the management of tendering, contract preparation, preparation of detailed analysis of submitted bids, together with controlling the budget of the project;
- Prepares technical, financial, progress and any such reports and information as may be required by UNHCR and the donor. Particularly detailed time schedule, cost and financing schedule, financial forecast, etc.;
- Liaise with other UN agencies, NGOs government bodies, etc. to ensure meeting full coordination, oversight and accountability requirements for the implementation of the project activities;
- Coordinates with other UNHCR units and offices (Sub-Offices, Field Offices, Protection, Education, Health, Programme, Project Control, Finance, Supply, Technical, External Relations, Risk Management, etc. as may be required);
- Prepares and implements risk management plan;
- Prepares and implements communication and visibility plan;
- Prepares and implements procurement plan in full coordination with Supply Unit and Sub-Offices;
- Supervises the works on site ensuring full compliance with the terms and conditions of the contract;
- Ensures safety measures are adopted during the implementation of the project
Accountability and Authority
Detailed work plan for the project need to be prepared at the onset of assignment and report on progress on bi-weekly basis submitted to supervisor. Work plan is updated as may be necessary.
Delays, obstacles, challenges, etc. facing the smooth running of the project activities need to be identified on the onset of the appointment and correction measures taken and reported to supervisor on monthly basis.
Project financial tracking and progress are reported to supervisor on monthly basis.
Minimum Qualification and Professional Experience Required
Education - Undergraduate degree (equivalent of a BA/BS) in Civil Engineering or related field.
Working experience -Minimum five years experience in job functions of which minimum three years in project management and or coordination capacities
Experience in coordinating and interacting with various counterparts in a demanding, results-oriented environment while working within tight time constraints to meet deadlines with high quality work.
Excellent written and spoken English, including drafting and editing skills.
Advanced computer skills for MS Office Suite, specifically Word, SharePoint, and Excel.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should apply online by 19th March 2019
For more information and job application details, see; UNHCR Project Manager - Coordinator Jobs in Kampala - Uganda
Find jobs in Uganda. Jobs - Uganda jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Ugandan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Uganda.
Jobs in Uganda - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Uganda.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Uganda posted and updated daily - click here!