UN-HABITAT Associate Statistician Jobs in Kenya
UN-HABITAT Associate Statistician Jobs in Kenya
Org. Setting and Reporting The United Nations Human Settlements Programme, UN-Habitat, is the agency for human settlements. It is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all.
The position is in the Data and Analytics Section of the Knowledge & Innovation Branch of UN-Habitat in the External Relations, Strategy, Knowledge and Innovation Division of UN-Habitat (ERSKI).
ERSKI is responsible for strategic planning, programmatic direction and operationalization of UN-Habitat's focal point role for the New Urban Agenda, and 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development in the UN system and for coordination of Emergency Programmes.
The Knowledge and Innovation Branch is responsible to lead the development of policies and procedures on results-based management and coordinates the preparation of the strategic plan, programme and budget plans and monitors and reports on global agendas and policy implementation; it leads and facilitates an enabling environment for use and deployment of innovation and data.
The Data and Analytics Section is responsible to lead and coordinate the data pillar for the development and monitoring of a United Nations system-wide strategy on urbanization;
leading mainstreaming of data and monitoring support to countries and cities to develop the Voluntary National Reviews (VNRs), Voluntary Local Reviews (VLR) in line with the NUA and 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development; coordinate UN-Habitat's participation and representation in UN Statistical Commission, Interagency Expert Group on SDGs Indicators (IAEG-SDGs), UN geospatial network-UNGGIM, Regional SDGs review forums and other global and regional Inter-agency Expert standing committees on statistics and data related issues.
The position reports to the Chief of Section/Statistician in the Data and Analytics Section.
Within delegated authority, the Associate Statistician will be responsible for the following duties:
• Assists in designing, organizing, planning and managing the collection, evaluation, analysis, compilation and dissemination of statistical data.
• Assists in training and technical support on data collection programmes, country practices and other related information.
• Assists in the development or revision of standards on statistical concepts, definitions and classifications by performing methodological research.
• Prepares draft technical documents for international, intergovernmental and expert group meetings and assists in drafting relevant reports. Contribute to the development of the NUA indicators framework and related indicators methodologies and approaches
• Contribute to the preparation of the NUA quadrennial reports, compiling, reviewing data and preparing relevant tables, graphs and statistical tables and annexes.
• Contribute to piloting data gathering using tools developed by DAU as part of monitoring and reporting of the NUA
• Assist in the planning, organizing and servicing of ad hoc expert group and technical meetings, policy dialogues, development seminars, drafting reports and preparing reports/minutes of meetings.
the collection, processing, evaluation and dissemination of various forms of data from Member states, UN-Habitat branches and regional or field offices, civil society, NGOs and partner databases including those from other UN agencies, UN Statistical Division, UN population Division, etc.
• Assists in the organization of seminars, working groups and expert meetings.
• Guides, trains and supervises general service and professional staff in the function.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Professionalism: Ability to identify, extract, analyze and disseminate statistical data. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
A first-level university degree in statistics, mathematics, economics, sociology or related field.
A minimum of two years of progressively responsible experience in the area of Statistics, Data processing or urban planning or related field.
No experience is required for candidates who have passed the United Nations Young Professionals Programme Examination (YPP), the United Nations Competitive Recruitment Examination (NCRE) or the General Service to Professional Examination (G to P).
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; UN-HABITAT Associate Statistician Jobs in Kenya
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to NGO Jobs in Africa.