UNEP Statistician Jobs in Kenya
UNEP Statistician Jobs in Kenya
Org. Setting and Reporting The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment.
This position is located in UNEP’s Science Division which is responsible for analyzing the state of the global environment, providing early warning information and assessing global and regional environmental trends to catalyze and promote international cooperation and action on the environment.
Under the overall direction of the Chief of the Capacity Development and Innovation Branch and direct supervision of the Senior Programme Management Officer, SDGs and Environment Statistics Unit.
The incumbent will Support methodological development for obtaining relevant data, Contribute to the Common Country Analysis in the context of the UN Development System Reform, Develop new or improved statistical methods and quantitative models for analysis and projections, conduct analysis and provide guidance and advice to other departments, and field experts, and representation in statistical expert groups.
• Enhance the development of methods for obtaining relevant data for 26 SDG indicators for which UNEP is the Custodian Agency, mainly related to water, sustainable consumption and production, oceans, biodiversity, and chemicals and waste in cooperation with Partner Organisations.
• Compile and report data on the 26 SDG indicators for which UNEP is the Custodian Agency to the to the UN SDG global database. Ensure the quality of collected data for accuracy, consistency and comparability. Ensure that reporting data are validated by the countries. Provide metadata and indicator methodology guidance to countries.
• Provide analysis on the progress of SDG targets related to the evnvironmental dimension of the SDGs for the Secretary General's Report on progress towards the goals and targets of the 2030 SD agenda at the global level. Provide analysis of progress on the environment dimension to UN Environment Assembly. Develop new or improved statistical methods and quantitative models for analysis and projections. Plan and conduct analytical programmes of work in relevant areas related to disaggregation of statistics, including gender environment statistics.
• Contribute to the Common Country Analysis in the context of the UN Development System Reform. Identify and prepare projects, conduct analysis and participate in technical advisory activities for national capacity building. Implement projects on capacity building of environment statistics in countries.
• Supervise and contribute to the development and maintenace of the World Environment Situation Room Global Database, web publishing tools and other software for collection, storage and distribution of statistical data; guidelines on environment statistics, and on-line training modules for capacity development on environment statistics.
• Undertake methodological research with regard to standards on concepts, definitions and classifications to assist countries and other constituents in strengthening their statistical development with regard to the Framework on Environment Statistics (FDES) and the System for Environmental and Economic Acounting (SEEA).
• Represent UNEP in the Committee of Chief Statisticians of the UN System. Provide guidance and advice to other departments, regional offices, field experts, etc., in the planning, operation and evaluation of statistical programmes and projects.
• Plan and co-ordinate seminars, workshops, expert meetings, side events, etc.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge of statistical principles and practices.
Ability to conduct independent research and analysis. Ability to identify issues, formulate options and make conclusions and recommendations. Ability to deliver oral presentations to various audiences. Ability to produce a variety of written communications products in a clear, concise style. Ensure that divisional and project outputs maintain high-quality standards; that reports are clear, objective and based on comprehensive data. Ensures that all outputs produced meet required standards before completion to ensure they comply with the relevant mandates. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of project management; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Demonstrated team building and team leadership skills. Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and to establish and maintain effective working relationships with team members of different nationalities and cultural backgrounds, in order to achieve organizational goals; works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; places team agenda before personal agenda; shares credit for team accomplishments and
accepts join responsibility for team shortcomings.
Planning and Organizing:
Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in statistics, mathematics or related field. A first level university degree in combination with two (2) additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience in the collection, compilation, analysis and dissemination of statistical data or related area is required.
Experience with international negotiations related to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) Global Indicator Framework, and the Statistical Commission is desirable.
Experience with capacity development on Environment Statistics is desirable.
Experience in developing and implementing statistical methodologies is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; UNEP Statistician Jobs in Kenya
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to NGO Jobs in Africa.