UNEP Senior Programme Management Officer Jobs in Kenya
UNEP Senior Programme Management Officer Jobs in Kenya
Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment.
UNEP's Ecosystems Division works with international and national partners, providing technical assistance and advisory services for the implementation of environmental policy, and strengthening the environmental management capacity of developing countries and countries with economies in transition.
This position will lead UNEP’s work supporting integrated approaches to human, animal and environmental health through a One Health approach engaging with other UN institutions and partners.
The position will specifically oversee a Secretariat for a new Nature4Health Fund to support member states to strengthen preventative investments in nature to reduce health risks, including risks from zoonotic diseases.
The incumbent will be expected to work in a multi-sectoral way with diverse stakeholders within the UN system and beyond to support evidence-based policy interventions and systemic approaches to achieving development impact.
This post is located in the Biodiversity, Nature Transformations & Mainstreaming Unit in the Biodiversity and Land Branch (BLB), Ecosystems Division, at the Nairobi duty station. Under the supervision of the Head of the Unit, the incumbent will perform the following duties:Responsibilities
• Takes the lead to develop, implement and evaluate assigned programmes/projects, etc.; directs subordinates in programme/ project development, implementation, monitoring and assessment; directs review of relevant documents and reports; identifies priorities, problems and issues to be addressed and proposes corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; identifies and initiates follow-up actions.
• Ensures implementation of gender mainstreaming guidelines by assessing the implications for men and women of any planned action, including legislation, policies or programmes, in all areas and at all levels.
• Directs research and programme evaluation and presents information gathered from diverse sources.
• Coordinates policy development; reviews the assessments of issues and trends, preparation of evaluations or research activities and studies.
• Undertakes survey initiatives; guides design of data collection instruments; reviews, analyzes and interprets responses, identifies problems /issues and prepares conclusions.
• Supervises preparation of various written outputs, e.g. background papers, analysis, substantial sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.
• Directs substantive support to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations, etc.
• Manages outreach activities; designs and conducts training workshops, seminars, etc., makes presentations on assigned topics/activities.
• Leads field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties and drafting mission summaries, etc.
• Coordinates activities related to budget and funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and ensures preparation of related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.).
• Serves as an effective spokesperson and establishes collaboration and partnerships with key officials at all levels inside and outside the organization.
• Ensures effective utilization, supervision and development of staff; Guides, evaluates and mentors staff.
• Leads team members efforts to collect and analyze data and provides insight to identify trends or patterns for data-driven planning, decision-making, presentation and reporting. Ensures that everyone can discover, access, integrate and share the data they need.
• May perform other duties as required.CompetenciesProfessionalism:
knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts approaches relevant to integrated approaches to human, animal and environment health. Ability to identify key strategic issues, opportunities and risks related to environment dimensions of health. Ability to communicate clearly links between the Organization's strategy and the work unit's goals. Communication:
Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.Teamwork:
Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position.Leadership:
Serves as a role model that other people want to follow; Empowers others to translate vision into results; Is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives; Establishes and maintains relationships with a broad; range of people to understand needs and gain support; Anticipates and resolves conflicts by pursuing; mutually agreeable solutions; Drives for change and improvement; does not accept the status quo.Judgement/decision-making:
Identifies the key issues in a complex situation, and comes to the heart of the problem quickly; gathers relevant information before making a decision; considers positive and negative impacts of decisions prior to making them; takes decisions with an eye to the impact on others and on the Organization; proposes a course of action or makes a recommendation based on all available information.EducationAdvanced university degree (Masters degree or equivalent) in environment, ecosystem health, public health or a related field is required.
A first level university degree ( Bachelor's degree or equivalent) in the same fields in combination with two (2) additional years of relevant qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Successful completion of both degree and non-degree programs in data analytics, business analytics or data science programs is an advantage.
A minimum of ten (10) years of progressively responsible experience in project or programme management, in the environment, health or ecosystem health sectors is required.
At least five (5) years of experience at international level is required.
Demonstrated experience in managing complex and/or multidisciplinary teams is required.
Experience working in environment dimensions of health particularly biodiversity, climate and/or ecosystem aspects is desirable.
Experience in international secretariats and/or the management of multi-partner funds is desirable.
Experience in data analytics or related area is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required.
Knowledge of another official United Nations language is desirable.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; UNEP Senior Programme Management Officer Jobs in Kenya
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!