UNEP Senior Information Systems Assistant - Jobs in Kenya
UNEP Senior Information Systems Assistant - Jobs in Kenya
Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment.
This position is located in UNEP's Corporate Services Division, Enterprise Solutions Section at the Nairobi duty station. The incumbent will report to the Information Systems Officer DevOps team lead, with overall supervision by the Chief, Enterprise Solutions Section and will be responsible for the following duties:Responsibilities
• Provides support for computer information systems, databases, and applications in assigned area; performs complex troubleshooting for various applications, as well as in the administration of UNEP’s enterprise cloud resources and enterprise architecture data warehouse.
• Participates in the development, programming, testing, debugging and implementation of new computer application systems releases, modules, and functionalities; conducts version management.
• Designs and develops computer application systems and programs, typically using more than one programming language as well as UN established standards for IT technologies and tools.
• Installs computer application systems software and hardware according to specifications, monitors applications systems using appropriate monitoring tools and produces monitoring reports.
• Manages, designs, creates, produces, and maintains technical documentation for relevant computer application systems and products; manages and administers changes to technical documentation in accordance with prevailing change management and operation procedures.
• Assists in developing/refining support and operations procedures for relevant computer applications systems, including programming requirements and recommendations to users for the programming interfaces.
• Serves as team leader in projects dealing with the planning, specification, design, development, implementation, and maintenance of simple computer application systems; liaises with users to define and specify requirements; builds, tests and modifies prototype computer application systems; performs installation and maintenance of computer applications systems in user offices.
• Contributes to feasibility studies, systems analysis, design, development, implementation, and evaluation and testing of computer application systems improvements and new computer application systems.
• Assists in the identification of user computer application system’s needs, including business process and document workflow analysis, organization, and maintenance of document repositories; identifies classification schema, retention, and archival procedures: designs and develops workflow systems; conducts research on document/information/knowledge management computer applications, tools, procedures, and standards.
• Provides support on computer application systems development matters, including security and data backup and recovery as per the UN standards and procedures, as well as responding timely to the United Nations Office of Information and Communications Technology (UN OICT) frequent cyber security alerts.
• Drafts correspondence and communications; including work plan revisions and other related issues, as well as prepares unit contributions for a variety of periodic reports, as well as correspondence with service providers as required, as well as maintenance of the UN Unite Apps self-assessment reporting.
• Keeps abreast of developments in the field; conducts research on new technologies; performs benchmarking and proposes new acquisitions; assists in the implementation of new technologies.
• Provides guidance and training to new/junior staff; plans day-to-day work and supervises other staff as required.
• Performs other related duties as required.CompetenciesProfessionalism:
and gather information from a wide variety of standard and non-standard sources. Ability to respond to changing requirements and assignments, ability to apply good judgment in the context of assignments given.
Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.Communication:
Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.Teamwork:
Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.Education
High school diploma or equivalent is required. Additional training and a technical or vocational certificate in information technology, computer science or other related areas is required.
Passing the Global General Service Test (GGST) is a prerequisite for recruitment consideration in the General Services and related categories in the United Nations Secretariat. Successful passing of the Administrative Support Assessment Test (ASAT) in English at the United Nations Headquarters (UNHQ), Economic Commission for Africa (ECA), Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (ESCWA), United Nations Office at Geneva (UNOG), United Nations Office at Vienna (UNOV), International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR) or International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) may be accepted in lieu of the GGST.
The GGST is administered to applicants when required before the administration of a written assessment and/or interview.Work ExperienceA minimum of ten (10) years of experience in information systems analysis and programming, systems administration and maintenance, software development, technical writing, or related area is required.
Experience in software development and technical writing is required.
Work experience in mobile application development and cloud-based container platforms, Azure or AWS administration and DevOps is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is desirable.
NOTE: 'Fluency' equals a rating of 'fluent' in all four areas (speak, read, write and understand)
and 'Knowledge of' equals a rating of 'confident' in two of the four areas.
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by competency-based interview.
How to apply
For more information and job application details, see; UNEP Senior Information Systems Assistant Jobs in Kenya
Find daily jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!