UNEP Programme Management Officer Jobs in South Africa
UNEP Programme Management Officer Jobs in South Africa
Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment.
UNEP's mandate is to coordinate the development of environmental policy consensus by keeping the global environment under review and bringing emerging issues to the attention of governments and the international community for action.
UNEP works worldwide, with its headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya with network of country, liaison, sub-regional and regional offices facilitating the relevant country, sub-regional and regional processes, and coordinating the coherent delivery of UNEP’s programme targeting the causes of climate change, nature and biodiversity loss, and pollution and waste through seven interlinked sub-programmes for action.
These are: Climate Action, Chemicals and Pollution Action, Nature Action, Science-Policy, Environmental Governance, Finance and Economic Transformations, and Digital Transformations.
UNEP’s Regional Office for Africa supports environmental governance institutions and processes and engages a broad range of partners that include governmental, non-governmental, academic, and private sector entities on multilateral environmental agreements and sustainability programmes and projects in response to national, sub regional and regional needs and priorities.
UNEP’s support to countries, sub-regions and Africa is guided by reforms of the UN Development System including the UN Resident Coordinator and UN Country Team systems.
This position is located in UNEP Regional Office for Africa (ROA) at the Pretoria duty station, South Africa. Under the overall guidance of the Regional Director and the direct supervision of the Head of Southern Africa Sub Regional Office, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:Responsibilities
• Develops, implements and evaluates assigned programmes /projects, etc.; monitors and analyzes programme / project development and implementation; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and initiates corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; ensures follow-up actions.
• Performs consulting assignments, in collaboration with the client, by planning facilitating workshops, through other interactive sessions and assisting in developing the action plan the client will use to manage the change.
• Researches, analyzes and presents information gathered from diverse sources.
• Coordinates policy development, including the review and analysis of issues and trends, preparation of evaluations or other research activities and studies.
• Generates survey initiatives; designs data collection tools; reviews, analyzes and interprets responses, identify problems / issues and prepares conclusions.
• Organizes and prepares written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.
• Provides substantive backstopping to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations, etc.
• Initiates and coordinates outreach activities; conducts training workshops, seminars, etc.; makes presentations on assigned topics / activities.
• Leads and/or participates in large, complex field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties and drafting mission summaries, etc.
• Coordinates activities related to budget funding (programme / project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and prepares related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.).
• Collects and analyzes
data to identify trends or patterns and provide insights through graphs, charts, tables and reports using data visualization methods to enable data-driven planning, decision-making, presentation and reporting.
• Performs other duties as required.CompetenciesProfessionalism: Knowledge of the UN system, including the UN common country programming process; Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Ability to conduct data collection using various methods. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases.
Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Managing Performance: Delegates the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority. Makes sure that roles, responsibilities and reporting lines are clear to each staff member. Accurately judges the amount of time and resources needed to accomplish a task and matches task to skills. Monitors progress against milestones and deadlines. Regularly discusses performance and provides feedback and coaching to staff.
Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in Environmental affairs, Political affairs, project/programme management, economics or a related field is required.
A first-level university degree in combination with two (2) additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced degree.
Successful completion of both degree and non-degree programs in data analytics, business analytics or data science programs is desirable.
A minimum of seven (7) years of progressively responsible working experience in environmental project / programme development, project administration, implementation and management are required.
Four (4) years' experience at an international level and preferably within the UN system is desirable.
Experience managing a team is desirable.
Experience in resource mobilization is desirable.
Experience in the coordination of programmes is desirable.
A minimum of two (2) years’ experience in data analysis is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of French is desirable. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is desirable.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; UNEP Programme Management Officer Jobs in South Africa
Find daily jobs in South Africa. Jobs - South Africa jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest South African job positions, career opportunities & jobs in South Africa.
Jobs in South Africa - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in South Africa.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in South Africa posted and updated daily - click here!