UNEP Programme Management Officer Jobs in Kenya
UNEP Programme Management Officer Jobs in Kenya
Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment.
UNEP's Ecosystems Division works with international and national partners, providing technical assistance and advisory services for the implementation of environmental policy, and strengthening the environmental management capacity of developing countries and countries with economies in transition.
The position provides strategic oversight to UNEP’s growing programming on food systems transformation and IPLC (indigenous peoples’ and local communities’)-led conservation, restoration and sustainable use.
Position oversees evidence-based policy and practice interventions including agroecology and integrated land management including: integrated ecosystems, biodiversity and food systems interventions aimed at facilitating restoration, sustainable use and reducing threats to biodiversity in productive and natural landscapes.
This post is located in the Biodiversity, People and Landscapes Unit in the Biodiversity and Land Branch (BLB), Ecosystems Division, at the Nairobi duty station. Under the direct supervision of the Head of Unit, the incumbent will will be responsible for the following duties:Responsibilities
• Collaboration with international, regional and national organizations and international experts, as well as with other UNEP technical teams, the FAO and other UN agencies on joint projects/actions on issues related to ecosystem management in productive landscapes.
• Develops, implements and evaluates assigned programmes/projects related to food systems, IPLCs and landscape conservation and management; monitors and analyzes programme/project development and implementation; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and initiates corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; ensures follow-up actions.
• In collaboration with the UNEP Global Environment Facility (GEF) team, promote, coordinate and support the development of new GEF projects that are complementary to the UNEP Programme of Work, including in the Great Green Wall region and facilitate and support the technical integration and alignment of the existing UNEP-GEF projects.
• Select, recruit and supervise project consultants.
• Researches, analyzes and presents information gathered from diverse sources.
• Coordinates policy development, including the review and analysis of issues and trends, preparation of evaluations or other research activities and studies.
• Organizes and prepares written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications.
• Provides substantive backstopping to consultative and other meetings, conferences,to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations.
• Initiates and coordinates outreach activities; conducts training workshops, seminars; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities.
• Leads and/or participates in large, complex field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties and drafting mission summaries.
• Coordinates activities related to budget funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements,) and prepares related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget).
• Collects and analyzes data to identify trends or patterns and provide insights through graphs, charts, tables and reports using data visualization methods to enable data-driven
planning, decision-making, presentation and reporting
• Performs other duties as required.CompetenciesProfessionalism
Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to particular sector, functional area or other specialized field. Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Ability to conduct data collection using various methods. Ability to analyze and interpret data in support of decision-making and convey resulting information to management Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis. Teamwork
Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position.Planning & Organizing
Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.Accountability:
Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honors commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments.EducationAdvanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in natural resources management, conservation, agricultural science or a related field is required.
A first-level university degree in combination with two (2) additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Successful completion of both degree and non-degree programs in data analytics, business analytics or data science programs is desirable.
A minimum of seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience in project or programme management in terrestrial ecosystem related programmes and/or projects including at least three (3) years working at the international level and working with developing countries is required.
At least three (3) years experience working on integrated teams working on biodiversity, food, and agriculture is required.
Experience working with indigenous people and local communities is required.
Supervisory experience managing multi-cultural teams is desirable.
Two (2) years or more of experience in data analytics or related area is desirable
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English and in French is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is desirable.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; UNEP Programme Management Officer Jobs in Kenya
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!