UNEP Programme Management Officer Jobs in Kenya
UNEP Programme Management Officer Jobs in Kenya
Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system, and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment.
The overall objective of the UNEP's Economy Division is to encourage decision-makers in government, local authorities, and industry to develop and adopt policies, strategies and practices and technologies that promote sustainable patterns of consumption and production, make efficient use of natural resources, ensure safe management of chemicals, and contribute to making trade and environment policies mutually supportive.
It promotes the development, use and transfer of policies, technologies, economic instruments, managerial practices and other tools that assist in environmentally sound decision making and the building of corresponding activities.
This post is in the UNEP's Economy Division, Director’s Office at the Nairobi duty station. Under the direct supervision of the Division Director, the incumbent will perform the following duties:ResponsibilitiesProvide strategic, substantive support to new areas of work key to the Division and to UNEP, planned under the current UNEP Medium-Term Strategy by:
• Supporting the process to enable special projects assigned to the Division to be managed.
• Providing support to run the process underpinning a designated special project.
• Liaising with relevant parties and ensuring follow-up actions.
• Producing and coordinating activities related to relevant meeting preparation, agenda setting, budgeting, and funding.
• Producing monitoring and progress reports, financial statements, funding proposals.Provide substantive backstopping to inter-Governmental processes and consultative meetings by:
• Coordinating the preparation and running of high-level meetings and conferences.
• Planning and coordinating task-team preparatory meetings.
• Building meeting agendas by coordinating topics, identifying presenters, participants, and preparing communications, background documents and presentations.
• Ensuring that political and protocol processes underpinning high-level meetings is being managed adequately.
• Collecting and analyzing data to identify trends or patterns and provide insights through graphs, charts, tables and reports using data visualization methods to enable data-driven planning, decision-making, presentation and reporting.Coordinates policy development by:
• Conducting reviews and analysis of issues and trends.
• Preparing research activities and studies.
• Initiating and coordinating outreach activities with other Divisions and partners in development.Performing other duties required to support Division Office.
The ability to analyze and interpret data in support of decision-making and convey resulting information to management. Shows pride in work and in achievements; Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals;
Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; Places team agenda before personal agenda; Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Planning & Organizing:
Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently
Considers all those to whom services are provided to be "clients " and seeks to see things from clients' point of view; Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; Identifies clients' needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients' environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
An advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in environmental related science, engineering, economics, or related climate change mitigation field is required.
A first university degree in combination with two (2) additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced degree.
Successful completion of both degree and non-degree programs in data analytics, business analytics or data science programs is desirable.
At least seven (7) years of professional working experience, preferably at the international level, with progressively rising levels of responsibility in the fields of environmental science/engineering, environmental policy or related field is required.
Experience with inter-governmental processes is desirable.
Experience in the UN system or a similar international organization is desirable.
Two (2) years or more of experience in data analytics or related area is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English is required.
Knowledge of French is desirable. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is desirable.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; UNEP Programme Management Officer Jobs in Kenya
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!