UNEP Programme Management Officer Jobs in Kenya
UNEP Programme Management Officer Jobs in Kenya
Org. Setting and Reporting The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment.
UNEP's Ecosystem Division works with international and national partners, providing technical assistance and advisory services for the implementation of environmental policy, and strengthening the environmental management capacity of developing countries and countries with economies in transition.
This position is located in the Biodiversity and Land Branch (BLB), Ecosystems Division, at the Nairobi duty station.
Under the general supervision of the Biodiversity and Land Branch Coordinator and direct supervision of Chief Environmental Economist, the Programme Management Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
• Develops, implements and evaluates assigned programmes/projects, monitors and analyzes programme/project development and implementation, reviews relevant documents and reports,identifies problems and issues to be addressed and initiates corrective actions, liaises with relevant parties, ensures follow-up actions.
• Researches, analyzes and presents information gathered from diverse sources for wetland valuation.
• Coordinates policy development, including the review and analysis of issues and trends, preparation of evaluations or other research activities and studies related to climate change.
• Generates survey initiatives, designs data collection tools, reviews, analyzes and interprets responses, identify problems/issues and prepares conclusions.
• Organizes and prepares written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications.
• Initiates and coordinates outreach activities, conducts training workshops, seminars, makes presentations on assigned topics/activities.
• Leads and/or participates in missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties and drafting mission summaries.
• Coordinates activities related to budget funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements) and prepares related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget).
• Performs other related duties as required.
Professionalism: Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and policies related to Climate Change adaptation. Shows pride in work and in achievements. Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter. Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns. Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges, remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and
men in all areas of work.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals. Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others. Places team agenda before personal agenda. Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position. Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments. Delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards. Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules. Supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments. Takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in environmental/ecological economics or equivalent with specialization in water resources management, hydrology, sustainable development, environmental sciences, development studies, ecology, environmental engineering, natural resources management or a related field is required.
A first-level university degree in combination with two (2) additional years of qualifying work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in project or programme management or related area is required.
Experience in climate change adaptation, water resources management, including modeling, is desirable.
Experience in working with governments on adaptation planning and project design is desirable.
Working experience in the United Nations system or similar organization is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this post, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another United Nations official language is desirable.
NOTE: "Fluency equals a rating of "fluent" in all four areas (read, write, speak, understand) and "Knowledge of" equals a rating of "confident" in two of the four areas.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; UNEP Programme Management Officer Jobs in Kenya
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Africa Jobs.