UNEP Programme Management Assistant Jobs in Kenya
UNEP Programme Management Assistant Jobs in Kenya
Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment.
UNEP’s Ecosystems Division works with international and national partners, providing technical assistance and advisory services for the implementation of environmental policy, and strengthening the environmental management capacity of developing countries and countries with economies in transition.
This post is located in the Nature Transformation and Mainstreaming Unit, in the Biodiversity and Land Branch (BLB), Ecosystems Division, at the Nairobi duty station. Under the supervision of the Head of the Unit, the incumbent will perform the following duties:Responsibilities
• Assists in the coordination of programme / project planning and preparation work for, typically, a medium-size and complex component of the departmental programme / project initiatives; monitors status of programme / project proposals and receipt of relevant documentation for review and approval.
• Compiles, summarizes, and presents basic information/data on specific programmes / project and related topics or issues.
• Reviews project documents, especially cost plans/budgets, for completeness and compliance with relevant rules and procedures prior to submission for final approval and signature; identifies inconsistencies; distributes project documents to relevant parties upon approval.
• Reviews budget revisions; verifies availability of funds; ensures necessary approval and entry in computerized budget system.
• Reviews, logs and routes incoming correspondence.
• Assists with the collection and analysis of data as well as preparation of data presentations and reports for information sharing, responding to queries, knowledge management, planning and decision making.
• Assists with visualizations and updating information material such as web pages or brochures.
• Serves as focal point for administrative coordination of programme / project implementation activities, involving extensive liaison with a diverse organizational unit to initiate requests, obtain necessary clearances, process and follow-up on administrative actions, e.g. recruitment and appointment of personnel, travel arrangements, training / study tours, authorization of payments, disbursement of funds, procurement of equipment and services.
• Compiles, summarizes and enters data on project delivery; drafts related status reports, identifying shortfalls in delivery, budget overruns, etc., and brings to the attention of management.
• Drafts correspondence on budget-related issues and prepares and updates periodic reports, briefing notes, graphic and statistical summaries, accounting spreadsheets.
• Provides general office assistance; responds to complex information requests and inquiries; reviews, logs and routes incoming correspondence; sets up and maintains files/records; organizes meetings, workshops; handles routine administrative tasks, such as maintaining attendance records, assessing telephone billing.
• Provides guidance/training to new / junior staff.
• Performs other duties as assigned.CompetenciesProfessionalism
Knowledge of internal policies, processes and procedures generally and in particular
those related to programme/project administration, implementation and evaluation, technical cooperation, programming and budgeting. Understanding of the functions and organization of the work unit and of the organizational structure and respective roles of related units.Demonstrated ability to apply good judgment in the context of assignments given. Communication
Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors' language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.Teamwork
Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.EducationHigh school diploma or equivalent is required.
Passing the Global General Service Test (GGST) is a prerequisite for recruitment consideration in the General Services and related categories in the United Nations Secretariat. Successful passing of the Administrative Support Assessment Test (ASAT) in English at the United Nations Headquarters (UNHQ), Economic Commission for Africa (ECA), Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (ESCWA), United Nations Office at Geneva (UNOG), United Nations Office at Vienna (UNOV), International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR) or International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) may be accepted in lieu of the GGST.
The GGST is administered to applicants when required before the administration of a written assessment and/or interview.
A minimum of five (5) years of experience in programme or project administration, technical cooperation or related area is required.
Experience with an ERP system such as Umoja (SAP) is required.
Experience working with Umoja Implementing Partners module in supporting program planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation is desirable.
Experience providing administrative support to diverse team in implementing and coordinating multiple projects, and activities is desirable.
One (1) or more years of experience in data analytics or related area is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; UNEP Programme Management Assistant Jobs in Kenya
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!