UNEP Legal Officer Jobs in Kenya
UNEP Legal Officer Jobs in Kenya
Job Details: The United Nations Environment Programme (UN Environment) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the world's environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the environment.
The incumbent will report to the Head of the National Environmental Law Unit. Within delegated authority and depending on location, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties: .
• Conducts extensive legal research and analysis and prepares studies, comparative studies, briefs, reports and correspondence on environmental law and governance including those related to legislative reform in the fields of environmental law and sustainable development as well as institutions support.
• Reviews national legislation (e.g., law and regulations) as part of technical assistance to strengthen national legal and institutional capacities concerning a specific area of environmental law to identify potential gaps and provide recommendations.
• Undertakes basic or extensive review of legal documents, instruments, or other material; identifies important issues, similarities, and inconsistencies, etc.
• Prepares or assists in the preparation of drafts of background papers, studies, reports, legislative texts and commentaries on those texts, and teaching materials in the field of environmental law and sustainable development, in particular, as these relate to national environmental law and related institutions.
• Prepares or assists in the preparation of legal opinions/advice on a wide range of issues relating to environmental law and sustainable development, including, in particular, those that relate to supporting the development, strengthening, implementation and enforcement of national environmental law and related institutions.
• Prepares or assists in the preparation of agreements and contracts with governments, NGOs and other public and private entities.
• Services or assists senior colleagues in servicing diplomatic conferences, commissions, committees, task forces, expert groups and other bodies, including preparation of background materials, summaries of issues and views of delegations, meeting reports, etc. to raise awareness and build capacity on emerging issues of environmental law or on issues designated as important by countries.
• Administers programmes of legal technical assistance to countries in reviewing, developing or updating environmental legislation, drawing on recommendations from global legal reviews and utilizing legislative tools and knowledge products, developed by UNEP and its partners.
• Prepares or assists with the preparation of seminars and symposia on legal principles, techniques, policies, guidelines, etc. in the field of environmental law and sustainable development, in particular, as these relate to national environmental law and related institutions, lectures on various legal issues at such events.
• Provides guidance to more junior staff.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Professionalism: Knowledge of, and ability to apply, legal principles, concepts and procedures and terminology relating to environmental law and governance. Knowledge of various legal research sources, including electronic, and ability to conduct research and analyze information on a wide range of legal issues.
Knowledge of the civil law and/or common law legal systems and principles. Ability to interpret and apply legislative instruments, develop and present results, recommendations, and opinions clearly and concisely. Ability to draft legal papers and work under pressure. Ability to apply good legal judgment in the context of assignments given. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
• Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
• Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
• Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in environmental law or a related field. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
• A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in environmental law and governance, including legal analysis, research and writing, is required.
• Experience in working with developing countries and in developing project proposals and/or managing projects is desirable.
• Experience in technical assistance in the development and strengthening of national environmental law and strengthening capacity to implement, comply with and enforce environmental laws and MEAs is desirable.
• Experience in the evaluation of national environmental legislation against pre-determined standards, such as obligations under multilateral environmental agreements or recommendations from global reviews is desirable.
• English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this post, fluency in written and oral English is required. Working knowledge of another UN languages is desirable.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; UNEP Legal Officer Jobs in Kenya
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to NGO Jobs in Africa.