UNEP Finance and Budget Assistant Jobs in Kenya
UNEP Finance and Budget Assistant Jobs in KenyaOrg. Setting and Reporting The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment.
The overall objective of UNEP's Economy Division is to encourage decision makers in government, local authorities and industry to develop and adopt policies, strategies and practices and technologies that promote sustainable patterns of consumption and production, make efficient use of natural resources, ensure safe management of chemicals and contribute to making trade and environment policies mutually supportive.
It promotes the development, use and transfer of policies, technologies, economic instruments, managerial practices and other tools that assist in environmentally sound decision making and the building of corresponding activities.
This post is in UNEP’s Economy Division, Energy and Climate Branch, Global Environment Facility (GEF) Climate Change Mitigation Unit, Nairobi duty station.
Under the direct supervision of the UNEP Administrative Officer, the incumbent will be responsible for the following:
• Provide support with respect to the review, analysis and preparation and revision of the medium-term plan.
• Prepare supporting documents (narrative and supporting tables) with respect to GEF submissions and UNEP Programme of Work.
• Assist managers in the elaboration of resource requirements for budget submissions.
• Undertake research and provide support to higher level Finance and Budget Officers with respect to budget reviews of relevant intergovernmental and expert bodies.
• Monitor expenditures and compare with approved budget; prepare adjustments as necessary.
• Review requisitions for goods and services to ensure correct objects of expenditure have been charged, and availability of funds.
• Assist in preparation of budget performance submissions and finalization of budget performance reports, analyze variances between approved budgets and actual expenditures.
• Monitor integrity of various financial databases.
• Verify accuracy of input data, ensuring consistency of data in previous allotments to new allotments issued.
• Co-ordinate with other finance and budget staff on related issues during preparation of budget reports.
• Periodic reconciliation of accounts.
• Draft or prepare correspondence to respond to enquiries in respect to relevant financial and budget matters.
• Review incoming payment instructions with regard to banking details and sources of funds.
• Prepare payments for final disbursement by Cashier.
• Notify payees of status of payments.
• Assist staff members, Fund Management Officers, Administrative Officers and donors regarding queries on payment and deposit-related issues.
• Keep abreast of latest documents/reports/guidelines on matters related to programme, ensuring compliance with intergovernmental recommendations and decisions, as well as with United Nations policies and procedures.
• Maintain and keep up-to date files.
• May be responsible for providing guidance, training and daily supervision to other general service staff in the area of responsibility.
• Perform other related duties, as assigned.
• Professionalism Knowledgeable in Enterprise Resource Systems (ERP) and fund management of Global Environment Facility (GEF) projects. Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignment given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. Shows pride in work and in achievements; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
• Planning and Organizing Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
• Teamwork Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Completion of High school diploma or equivalent is required.
Additional technical qualifications, CPA or equivalent is required.
Passing the Global General Service Test (GGST) is a prerequisite for recruitment consideration in the General Services and related categories in the United Nations Secretariat. Successful passing of the Administrative Support Assessment Test (ASAT) in English at the United Nations Headquarters (UNHQ), Economic Commission for Africa (ECA), Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (ESCWA), United Nations Office at Geneva (UNOG), United Nations Office at Vienna (UNOV), International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR) or International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) may be accepted in lieu of the GGST.
A minimum of seven years of experience in finance, budget, accounting, administrative services or related area is required.
Experience with Fund management of Global Environment Facility (GEF) projects is highly desirable.
Experience with an Enterprise Resource System (ERP) is required.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat.
For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; UNEP Finance and Budget Assistant Jobs in Kenya
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Job Vacancies in Africa.