UNEP Chief of Branch Jobs in Kenya
UNEP Chief of Branch Jobs in Kenya
Org. Setting and Reporting The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment.
UNEP's Ecosystems Division works with international and national partners, providing technical assistance and advisory services for the implementation of environmental policy, and strengthening the environmental management capacity of developing countries and countries with economies in transition.
This post is located in the Biodiversity and Land Branch (BLB), Ecosystems Division, at the Nairobi duty station and reports to Deputy Division Director, while working closely with the Director.
The incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
• Develop and oversee relevant projects and activities under the Healthy and Productive Ecosystems sub Programme of the UNEP Medium-Term Strategy and Programme of work. Develop, design and advocate concepts of the programme; Enhance inter-linkages among stakeholders on biodiversity and ecosystem services related matters. Develop policy advisory services for various decision makers. Develop and oversee biodiversity and ecosystem services projects in light of the seven thematic priority areas of UNEP;
• Provide leadership and guidance to the conceptualization, formulation and completion of special initiatives on biodiversity and ecosystem services, including efforts to address the illegal trade in wildlife, to increase land and seascape connectivity, and the Great Apes Survival Partnership (GRASP). Enhance collaboration and partnership between stakeholders in the delivery of UNEP's programme of work, including with the Global Environment Facility (GEF), the Intergovernmental Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (IPBES), and the biodiversity-related Multilateral Environmental Agreements. Promote integrated ecosystem strategies and analyze and resolve challenges in the implementation of these strategies;
• Oversee the work of the four Units of the Biodiversity and Land Branch (BLB), (GEF Biodiversity Unit, Ecosystem Services Economics Unit, Wildlife Unit, and Terrestrial Ecosystems Unit) providing guidance and oversight to these units' implementation of the UNEP programme of work;
• Formulate policies, strategies, actions and provide policy advice and recommendations to the Director. Formulate a biodiversity programme of work for DEP. Design UNEP strategy for biodiversity and ecosystem services. Analyze developments and provide advice for UNEP's strategic direction and intervention. Contribute to UNEP's efforts in strengthening the science policy interface on biodiversity and ecosystem services;
• Facilitate substantive and organizational discussions in the area of biodiversity and ecosystem services. Cooperate with other divisions, clusters and regions within UNEP for provision of expert advice and support in the field of biodiversity and ecosystem services;
• Develop and implement projects for funding in support of the work of the Branch. Develop relationships with potential funding sources. Analyze and monitor the trends in international development cooperation on the impacts of their decisions on UNEP's funding-strategies for biodiversity and ecosystem services related activities;
• Oversee the management of administrative, budget and personnel operations of the Branch. Oversee and contribute to the preparation of reports for presentation to inter-governmental bodies such as the Committee of Permanent Representatives, the United Nations Environment Assembly, the UN General Assembly and other policy-making organs;
• Perform other related duties as may be assigned.
Professionalism: Ability to provide technical and substantive support in the field of environmental management, development and mastery of marine biology or coastal ecosystems; shows pride in work and in achievements; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult
problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
Judgement and Decision-Making : Identifies the key issues in a complex situation, and comes to the heart of the problem quickly; gathers relevant information before making a decision; considers positive and negative impacts of decisions prior to making them; takes decisions with an eye to the impact on others and on the Organization; proposes a course of action or makes a recommendation based on all available information; checks assumptions against facts; determines that the actions proposed will satisfy the expressed and underlying needs for the decision, and; makes tough decisions when necessary.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Leadership: Serves as a role model that other people want to follow: Empowers others to translate vision into results; Is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives; Establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support; Anticipates and resolves conflicts by pursuing mutually agreeable solutions; Drives for change and improvements; does not accept the status quo; Shows the courage to take unpopular stands. Provides leadership and takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work; Demonstrates knowledge of strategies and commitment to the goal of gender balance in staffing.
Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in Environmental Sciences or in a discipline related to the work of Ecosystems Management or related area is required.
A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of fifteen (15) years of progressively responsible work experience in project/programme management in the context of Ecosystems management or related area is required.
Five (5) years of relevant experience at the international level with at least three (3) years in a supervisory capacity; demonstrated experience in managing performance of teams and staff with specialist expertise and mobilizing resources in an international environment is required.
At least five (5) years of relevant work experience in ecosystems policy development, regional programme /project coordination and resource mobilization is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Working knowledge of French is an advantage. Knowledge of other UN official languages is desirable.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; UNEP Chief of Branch Jobs in Kenya
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to NGO Jobs in Africa.