UNDP National Human Rights Officer - Enhancing Equality and Countering Discrimination Jobs in Uganda
UNDP National Human Rights Officer - Enhancing Equality and Countering Discrimination Jobs in UgandaBackground In implementing the mandate of the High Commissioner for Human Rights, OHCHR Uganda carries out interventions under five thematic areas: Strengthening the rule of law and accountability for human rights violations; Enhancing and protecting Civic Space and people’s Participation; Integrating human rights in sustainable development; Enhancing equality and countering discrimination; and Increasing implementation of the international human rights mechanisms’ outcomes.
OHCHR’s interventions relate to the provision of technical assistance, including legal advice and capacity building, monitoring of human rights issues, and engaging in advocacy, among others.
OHCHR Uganda is seeking a National Human Rights Officer with a strong legal background and proven drafting, research, advocacy and organizing skills, to work on interventions in the thematic area of enhancing equality and countering discrimination. .
Duties and Responsibilities
• Under the overall supervision of the Head of Office and under the direct supervision of the OHCHR Human Rights Officer, and within delegated authority, the National Human Rights Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
• Assist in the execution of the Office work plan
• Assist to develop and coordinate an Office-wide strategy to promote the respect and protection of human rights in the country, and contribute to the realization of relevant Sustainable Development Goals;
• Review, monitor and evaluate activities related to the implementation of international human rights instruments, including recommendations of treaty bodies and mechanisms of the Human Rights Council, in relation to the country;
• Conduct monitoring, fact-finding and follow-up activities in relation to the observance of human rights and international humanitarian law (IHL) through field monitoring missions, dialogue with local and regional authorities, security forces and non-state actors, networking with human rights defenders and follow up individual cases
• Keep abreast of, including by liaising with relevant stakeholders, and research on legal and policy developments in the country regarding equality and non-discrimination, and inform relevant colleagues, also suggesting possible actions;
• Prepare reports, documents, briefing notes, talking points and other written materials
• Take part in organizing and overseeing initiatives linked to supporting human rights promotion and protection either directly organized by OHCHR or co-organized in collaboration with civil society organisations (including NGOs), national human rights institutions and UN agencies;
• In consultation with the Head of office and the team leader, engage in dialogue with national counterparts, represent OHCHR at working-level meetings, including coordination mechanisms, and liaise with development partners, civil society and other stakeholders, as requested;
• Provide capacity-building, advisory and technical services to national NGOs, Civil Society Organisations, the National Human Rights Commission other national institutions, and human rights defenders.
• Contribute to the establishment and maintenance of a strong network of local and international human rights partners for the regular exchange of human rights information;
• Ensure the integration of gender perspectives and attention to specific women/girl's and children’s rights issues within all activities of the Office;
• Support the work of special Rapporteurs / Representatives / Experts / Working Groups and Treaty-Bodies, including in the preparation and conduct of field missions and the drafting of timely reports in relation to the country
• Ensure optimal uses of resources allocated for activity implementation;
• Perform other duties as required.
Required Skills and Experience
• Education: Advanced University degree, preferably in law, political science, international relations or other disciplines related to human rights. A combination of relevant academic qualifications and experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
• Experience: At least 2 years of combined professional experience in the field of human rights and humanitarian issues. Sound knowledge of and experience in the development and implementation of human rights related projects and programmes. Experience working on issues related to equality and non-discrimination would be an asset
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; UNDP National Human Rights Officer - Enhancing Equality and Countering Discrimination Jobs in Uganda
Find jobs in Uganda. Jobs - Uganda jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Ugandan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Uganda.
Jobs in Uganda - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Uganda.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Uganda posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to NGO Jobs in Africa.