UN World Food Programme Budget & Programming Jobs in Ethiopia
UN World Food Programme Budget & Programming Jobs in Ethiopia
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.Qualifications and Experience RequiredEducation: Advanced university degree in Economics, Accounting, Financial Management or
other related subjects.
At least five years working experience on financial and grants managements.
Experience in financial management for cross-cutting programme is desirable.
Experience in WFP’s and/or other relevant UN Agencies’ financial system is considered an asset.
Knowledge & Skills:
• Ability to work independently in a timely and organized manner.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Excellent data analysis skills.
• Willingness to explore and experiment with new ideas and approaches in
• Ability to work in a team and multi-task as needed.
• A strong understanding of rural development, resilience building and climate change adaptation theories and approaches.
Fluency in oral and written English is necessary
Background of the Assignment
In 2020 WFP Ethiopia has launched its Country Strategic Plan (CSP) 2020-2025. The five-year CSP is based on WFP’s recognized strengths and on strong strategic and operational partnerships with the Government, private sector entities, non-governmental organizations and other United Nations agencies.
While the bulk of operations will continue to address the immediate short-term needs of refugees, internally displaced persons and other food-insecure and undernourished people, there will be a gradual expansion and intensification of longer-term/development actions, in particular climate change adaptation, resilience and livelihood diversification initiatives under CSP Activity 5, which is also linked to the humanitarian–development–peace nexus.
WFP will focus on the prevention of malnutrition, the building of resilience and the integration of nutrition concerns and gender equality throughout the portfolio.
All activities are funded by a variety of donors with different financial reporting requirements some of which not in line with WFP standard systems hence requiring parallel financial tracking systems to be in place.
The purpose of this assignment will be to keep a proper financial tracking for all ETCO on-going long-term/development Programme initiatives and prepare accurate and timely financial reports as well as respond to ad-hoc requests coming from the respective donors.
Key Accountabilities (not all-inclusive)
Under the overall guidance and direct supervision of the Resource Management Unit the job holder
will be responsible for the following:
• Conduct resource analyses to ensure donors’ contributions, especially under resilience initiatives and long-term solution projects., are spent as planned and in line with strict donor conditions in a complex operational environment.
• Ensure effective and compliant utilization of various donor funds, by tracking expenditures as per donor requirements and providing technical support based on best practices in resource management.
• In consultation with Finance, request for set up and timely management of Fund Reservations, prepare Fund Reservations consumption analysis on a monthly basis, ad-hoc management of expenditures, etc. through WFP financial system.
• Monitor pre-commitments, commitments, expenditures, and balances available to inform Activity managers on monthly basis, the pace of expenditure levels against fund expiration and on critical bottlenecks to be addressed.
• Track project implementation by monitoring allotment, utilization, and analyze expenditures. Propose any recommended budget or expenditure adjustments.
• In consultation with Finance, create quarterly and bi-annual forecast of expenditures for specific donors on different budget lines by collecting the latest information on expenditure forecast from programme colleagues and partners.
• Prepare ad hoc, interim, uncertified financial reports to donors while ensuring compliance with WFP corporate rules and regulations and specific donor’s requirements.
• Assess partners’ monthly, quarterly, semi-annual and annual
operational and financial reports, including the pipeline report for Activity 5 (CCARB - Climate Change Adaptation and Resilience Building).
• Ensure the verification for operational partners’ financial report has been done by WFP sub-offices and the Activity managers.
• Monitor operational partners’ expenditures against agreements and disbursement plans, as well as legally binding donor proposals linked to agreed log-frames, where needed
• Conduct regular financial analysis and budget reviews and provide recommendations to the Activity managers.
• Assist in the preparation of budget proposals and revisions for donors.
• Act as a funds management focal point to support Partnerships, Programme, and Finance units as required.
• Conduct regular financial analysis and budget reviews, drawing out insights and recommending actions to senior staff to optimize use of available funds.
• Present fund analysis monthly report for the management and activity managers, highlighting significant issues and propose corrective actions.
• Be the reference point for WINGS (SAP) for programme funds management and provide support and training as required to country office and Sub offices.
• Perform other related duties as required.
4Ps Core Organisational Capabilities
Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Understands WFP’s Strategic Objectives and the link to own work objectives.
Be a force for positive change: Flexibly adapts individual contributions to accommodate changes in direction from supervisors and internal/external changes (such as evolving needs of beneficiaries, new requirements of partners).
Make the mission inspiring to our team: Recognizes and shares with team members the ways in which individual contributions relate to WFP’s mission.
Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Sets own goals in alignment with WFP’s overall operations, and is able to communicate this link to others.
Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Assesses own strengths and weaknesses to increase self-awareness, and includes these in conversations on own developmental needs.
Create an inclusive culture: Participates in open dialogue, and values the diverse opinion of others, regardless of background, culture, experience, or country assignment.
Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Proactively seeks feedback and coaching to build confidence, and develop and improve individual skills.
Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Participates in accomplishing team activities and goals in the face of challenging circumstances.
Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Shows willingness to explore and experiment with new ideas and approaches in own work.
Focus on getting results: Consistently delivers results within individual scope of work on time, on budget and without errors.
Make commitments and make good on commitments: Commits to upholding individual accountabilities and responsibilities in the face of ever-changing country or functional priorities.
Be Decisive: Makes rational decisions about individual activities when faced with uncertain circumstances, including in times of ambiguity regarding information or manager direction.
Connect and share across WFP units: Seeks to understand and adapt to internal or cross-unit teams’ priorities and preferred working styles.
Build strong external partnerships: Demonstrates ability to understand and appropriately respond to and/or escalate needs of external partners.
Be politically agile & adaptable: Portrays an informed and professional demeanor toward internal and external partners and stakeholders.
Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Provides operational support on analyses and assessments that quantifies and demonstrates WFP’s unique value as a partner.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; UN World Food Programme Budget & Programming Jobs in Ethiopia
Find daily jobs in Ethiopia. Jobs - Ethiopia jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Ethiopian job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Ethiopia.
Jobs in Ethiopia - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Ethiopia.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Ethiopia posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to 2 Best Africa Jobs.