UN Regional Service Centre Human Resources Assistant Jobs in Uganda
UN Regional Service Centre Human Resources Assistant Jobs in Uganda The Department of Operational Support (DOS) was established to provide end-to-end operational support, advisory services and other solutions to operating entities across the Secretariat, including departments, offices away from headquarters, peace operations, and
The Regional Service Centre in Entebbe, Uganda (RSCE), was established in July 2010,
following the adoption of General Assembly resolution 64/269.
The Centre provides efficient, client-oriented and scalable services with the goal of moving transactional, non-location dependent administrative functions to the Centre from its client entities.
This includes transactional elements of human resources, finance, multimodal movement and control, personnel and cargo transport and information and communications technology (ICT) support.
In addition to these services, the Office of the Chief RSCE and support offices through the
Deputy Chief RSCE provides overall guidance on the operations of the RSCE including strategic planning, communication, budgeting, human resources management, property management, quality assurance and business intelligence, conference services, record keeping and archive management, and audit response and risk management.
These positions are located in the Human Resources and Talent Management Unit, Client
Support Unit, Uniformed Personnel, Education Grant and International Payroll and Benefits
Service Lines at the Regional Service Centre in Entebbe under the Department of Operational
Support.The incumbents at this level must complete a specialized Umoja Human Resources (HR) Partner training course and certification for designation as Umoja HR Partner.
The Human Resources Assistant will report to the respective Service Line Managers/Unit Supervisors.
Within delegated authority, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
Recruitment and placement
• Assists in reviewing draft job openings ensuring that the evaluation criteria and responsibilities are in line with individual job descriptions;
• Assists with the review of applicants to ensure that candidates meet eligibility criteria,
including requirements stated in the job openings;
• Assists with the scheduling and coordination of assessment of candidates, including written
assessments; competitive recruitment examinations and Competency Based Interviews;
• Initiates and follows-up on reference checks, in respect of academic verifications and employment records, ensuring the completion of the pre-recruitment formalities;
• Initiates and prepares offer of appointment, including Statement of Emoluments, for review
by the Human Resources Officer;
• Advises staff and selected candidates on visa procedures and requirements.
Administration of Entitlements
• Assist in the preparation of staff members' entitlements including claims, danger pay, daily
subsistence allowance, mission subsistence allowance for Government provided Personnel
and Individual Uniformed Personnel, volunteer living allowance and any other allowances for
payments in conformity and adherence to applicable United Nations policies e.g. staff rules,
financial regulations and rules, ST/AI issuances or practices, IPSAS policy framework etc.
• Process the entitlements, benefits and payroll for the international and national civilian staff
and non-staff on behalf of the Client Missions and/ or the RSCE, as well as claims for official
travel and expense reimbursements.
• Assist in managing the service line as appropriate in the business processes related to
payroll, leave entitlements, contract extensions, other entitlements, separations and final
payments for civilian staff, non-staff and uniformed personnel.
• Assist in the processes related to the on-boarding, travel arrangements, payments of settlingin grants, check-in, check-out and separation activities for civilian staff, uniformed personnel and non-staff, as well as the installation and repatriation of recognized dependents.
• Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of related guidelines, staff rules, HR rules and
regulations, practices and procedures, and make recommendations through the Chief of Unit
• Process and administer end to end entitlements and benefits of International staff members
in the RSCE in an efficient and timely manner, i.e. Personnel Administration of Contracts,
Personnel administration of movements, Time Management and Separations.
• Advise internal and external clients on Benefits and Entitlements, Staff Rules and Regulations and HR guidelines and promote a collaborative and client-oriented approach.
• Review and process requests for entitlements and claims.
• Assist the service line with the administration and certification on the processing of benefits
and entitlements processes in compliance with the Rules and Financial framework.
• Determine, certify and process financial entitlements related to appointments, reassignments, ongoing entitlements and salaries.
• Ensure accurate and complete submission of claims and entitlements in compliance with
policy and guidelines.
• Review and recommend revision to Human Resources (HR) policy guidelines relating to Benefits and entitlements as deemed necessary.
• Perform HR administration of Benefits and Entitlements in Umoja in line with the
delegation of authority, maintain UMOJA entitlements and HR local contracts and
• Assist in the review and processing of data pertaining to conditions of service.
• Resolve queries escalated in iNeed in UMOJA.
• Provide general office support services, draft and/ or process a variety of correspondence
and other communications.
• Set up and maintain reference files/ records (electronic and paper).
• Schedule appointments/ meetings, monitors deadlines, etc.
• Undertake research on a range of HR related issues and assists in the preparation of
• Maintain automated database containing HR related statistics and prepares periodic reports.
• Perform a variety of administrative duties (e.g. leave recording, request for office supplies
and equipment etc.).
• May provide guidance/ training to less experienced staff.
• Perform other duties as and when required by the Supervisor.
Provide direct operational support to the RSCE and its Client Missions by processing HR related entitlements and benefits activities, and to all personnel transactions and contract administration transactions.
Knowledge of Human Resources policies, practices and procedures and ability to apply them in an organizational setting.
Solid knowledge of Systems Applications and Products (SAP) and Umoja.
Ability to identify issues, formulate
opinions, draw conclusions and recommendations.
Shows pride in work and in achievements;
demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and
efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by
professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult
problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Considers all those to whom services are provided to be "clients" and seeks to see things from clients' point of view;
Planning & Organizing
Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies;
Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required;
Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work;
Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning;
Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; -Uses time efficiently.
High school diploma or equivalent is required. An additional qualification or certification in
human resources is desirable.
A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in Human resources
management, administrative services or related area is required.
Experience in the administration of a broad range of staff entitlements and benefits is
Experience in Human Resources Systems Applications and Products (SAP) or Enterprise
Resource Planning (ERP) software e.g. Umoja or similar is required
Experience in application of United Nations or similar international organization Staff Rules
and Regulations in an operational environment is desirable.
Experience in a shared service center is desirable.
•English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post
advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required.
•Knowledge of another official United Nations language is desirable.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; UN Regional Service Centre Human Resources Assistant Jobs in Uganda
Find jobs in Uganda.Jobs - Uganda jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Ugandan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Uganda.
Jobs in Uganda - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs,business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Uganda.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Uganda posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to NGO Jobs in Africa.