UN Programme Management Officer Jobs in Kenya
UN Programme Management Officer Jobs in Kenya
Org. Setting and Reporting The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment.
UNEP's Science Division is responsible for analyzing the state of the global environment, providing early warning information and assessing global and regional environmental trends to catalyze and promote international cooperation and action on the environment.
This post is located in the Climate Services and Capacity Building Unit of the Science Division at the Nairobi duty station. Under the direct supervision of the Head of Unit, Climate Services and Capacity Building Unit, and within delegated authority, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
• Develops, provides management oversight of major projects and teams with focus on climate services and capacity building; demonstrates timely delivery of outputs in accordance with overall objectives and policies. Plays a lead role in identifying significant climate information services and early warning systems issues and develops well-reasoned, innovative approaches to deal with these issues;
• Develops assigned programme/projects, provides implementation start-up support, project cycle management oversight including compliance with reporting requirements, project closure etc.; monitors and analyzes programme/project development and implementation; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and initiates corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; ensures follow-up actions to keep all components of the project implemented in a timely and logical fashion;
• Participates in Project Steering Committees and mid-term and final evaluations;
• Ensures that all financial and administrative issues are carried out according to UNEP procedures and ensure that all procurements are carried out in a transparent, timely and cost effective manner
• Provides project teams with advice on risk management;
• Researches, analyzes and presents information gathered from diverse sources;
• Participates in project-related procurement and recruitment processes;
• Organizes and prepares written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.;
• Initiates and coordinates outreach activities; conducts training workshops, seminars etc.; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities;
• Leads and/or participates in monitoring missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties and drafting mission summaries/reports, etc.;
• Coordinates activities related to annual work plan development (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports) and prepares related documents/reports;
• Performs other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Professionalism: Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches of climate change, climate services, climate finance, early warning systems or related field. Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Ability to conduct data collection using various methods. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases. Ability to apply
judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities.
Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in environmental science, climate change, sustainable development, meteorology or a related field is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
At minimum of seven (7) years’ relevant experience in project/programme management related to environment, climate change and/or sustainable development is required.
At least four (4) years, of the seven (7), experience at the international level is required.
Working experience with governments and other stakeholders on complex projects/initiatives is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is desirable.
NOTE: "Fluency equals a rating of "fluent" in all four areas (read, write, speak, understand) and "Knowledge of" equals a rating of "confident" in two of the four areas.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; UN Programme Management Officer Jobs in Kenya
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to African Jobs.