Types of Mouldboard Ploughs

1) Fixed type (one way) mouldboard plough

One way plough throws the furrow slice to one side of the direction of travel and
is commonly used everywhere. It may be long beam type or short beam type

2) Two-way or Reversible plough

It is a mouldboard plough which turns furrow slice to the right or left side of
direction of travel as required.
Such ploughs have two sets of opposed bottoms.
In such a plough, all furrows can be turned towards the same side of the field by using one
bottom for one direction of travel and the other bottom on the return trip.
Two sets of bottom are so mounted that they can be raised or lowered independently or rotated
along an axis.
Two way ploughs have the advantage that they neither upset the slope of
the land nor leave dead furrows or back furrows in the middle of the field.

3) Turn wrest plough

There are some reversible ploughs which have single bottom with an
arrangement that the plough bottom is changed from right hand to left hand or vice versa
by rotating the bottom through approximately 180° about a longitudinal axis.
This type of plough is called turn wrest plough .While moving in one direction, the plough throws the
soil in one direction and at the return trip the direction of the plough bottom is changed,
thus the plough starts throwing the soil in the same direction as before

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Agriculture Notes FAQ.