Senior Technical Advisor Mercy Corps Jobs in Kenya
Senior Technical Advisor Mercy Corps Jobs in Kenya
The Position The Sr Technical Advisor is jointly assigned to the IDEAL award, and the Peace and Governance TSU team.
50% of the FTE will be assigned to the Peace & Governance TSU on providing technical support to Mercy Corps field teams in the peacebuilding and governance sector. Focusing particularly on the underlining link between social cohesion and social accountability to effective governance and peace building and its impact on development program goals. The support includes program design and development, advancing key technical initiatives, network and partnership development, representation at key sector forums and events, helping to monitor and improve program quality and relevance, staying current on industry innovation and best practices, writing and supporting competitive proposals for submission to donors, delivering training, and disseminating information to internal and external partners. The advisor will also participate in matrixed teams, share and build the capacity of others, and help integrate their technical areas with others (details outlined Annex 1). The other 50% LOE will be devoted to technical leadership on social cohesion & social accountability on the IDEAL award. This position will help operationalize the intersection of peace and governance across the portfolio of emergency and long-term food security programs relevant to IDEAL, through supporting social cohesion within or between communities and advancing social accountability in governance systems (details outlined Annex 2).
Program and Proposal Development
● Write and review proposals and concept notes for funding from donors including foundations, corporations, and US, European, and UN agencies.
● Gather/analyze data and complete assessments to determine program needs and priorities and Mercy Corps’ competitive advantage for funding.
● Work with programs, country/regional teams, and technical support units on prepositioning and development of program strategies.
● Work with other TSU members on the design and support of multi-sectoral programs that encompass elements of broader agency goals such as resilience, food security, and youth development.
● Coordinate approach and activities with relevant TSU teams, including Young People and Protection, Market Systems Development, and Technology for Development
● Keep up to date on relevant strategies being developed or applied by significant governmental, academic, and non-profit groups. Work with Mercy Corps to determine how the agency can best work with and/or influence such materials.
● Participate as an active, integrated member of the team providing technical support to a portfolio of field programs including those in complex crisis environments.
● Support effective interventions in the areas of the social cohesion and social accountability programs, using integrated approaches and applying systems thinking.
● Help maintain standards of program delivery that apply agency priorities and comply with relevant regulations and requirements.
● Help the team gather, refine, and disseminate tools such as training presentations and manuals, teaching notes, best practices and lessons learned, program examples, and monitoring and evaluation tools.
● Build capacity with Mercy Corps staff to better design and implement programs.
Strategy, Learning and Impact
● Support strategy development and implement key sub-sector initiatives, in coordination with the Peace & Governance TSU and the IDEAL team
● Advance, through relationship-building and representation, Mercy Corps’ profile in priority areas
● Work with the Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) team and the field to ensure that monitoring and evaluation is practical and reflects best practices.
● Contribute to agency-wide initiatives such as the research agenda around Thought Leadership priority topics
● Provide in-country and remote training and support for Mercy Corps staff, partners, and others.
● Develop a deep understanding of the shared incentives and
values that will entice partners to connect and work across sectors, both internally and within field projects.
● Support new and ongoing programs with best practice advice and assistance on assessment, implementation, research, and evaluation needs.
● Conduct assessments; write case studies, learning documents, short articles, and blogs; and develop internal and external disseminate plans for all products.
Influence and Representation
● Represent Mercy Corps at academic events, conferences, media forums, and other events; contribute to thought leadership in the area of expertise.
● Identify and nurture strategic partnerships with other organizations and institutions.
● Contribute to a strong and regularly updated network of technical experts and consultants that can serve as an additional resource to be deployed for program support.
Minimum Qualification & Transferable Skills
Bachelor’s degree required. M.A, M.S., M.Sc., or equivalent in a field related to the TSU team specialty and relevant technical certifications are preferred.
5 to 7 years of experience providing increasingly proficient technical support in the relevant field of expertise that includes:
Preparing writing and analysis on proposal development.
Producing and publishing influential articles and blogs.
Leading all aspects of large and complex proposals and managing integrated proposal teams.
Demonstrating strong theoretical and applied knowledge of the field of expertise.
Using integrated approaches and applying systems thinking.
Practical field experience, typically over the course of 2 years, that includes:
A combination of successful temporary duration field assignments (under two weeks), longer-term field assignments (two or more weeks), and/or living in a field location for an extended period to work in a country or field office.
A number of emergency response assignments or other crisis response work that demonstrates the ability to successfully adapt support and assistance methodologies to real-world complexities.
Managing and implementing successful programs in the field.
Delivering Capacity Building curriculum or other processes for field teams
Willingness and ability to travel frequently to Mercy Corps project sites and field locations, including traveling to insecure environments, is required.
Familiarity with major donors such as USAID, DFID, the EC and relevant foundations and corporations.
Experience/Familiarity in BHA (formerly Food for Peace and OFDA) Food Security programs is preferred.
Fluency in English is required; fluency in French preferred
The Sr Advisor will bring flexibility, creativity, and enthusiasm to every project they undertake.
The individual must have the ability to multi-task, set priorities, pay attention to detail, and work under tight deadlines within complex team environments.
The advisor must take an active role in building and maintaining external relationships as well as demonstrating the drive and initiative to contribute to internal team efforts.
The individual must learn quickly how to provide technical data and support in the most efficient and effective form possible for each unique field team and environment.
All TSU positions require strong interpersonal and cross-cultural communication skills, and a level of emotional intelligence proficiency that quickly builds and maintains productive relationships across teams.
Being aware and sensitive to international development issues and diverse cultures is critical.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; Senior Technical Advisor Mercy Corps Jobs in Kenya
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to NGO Jobs in Africa.