Rio Tinto Geoscientist Jobs in Zambia
Rio Tinto Geoscientist Jobs in Zambia
About Rio Tinto Every idea, every innovation, every little thing the world calls ‘progress’ begins with a first step, and someone willing to take it: explorers, inventors, entrepreneurs. Pioneers.
For nearly 150 years, Rio Tinto has been a company of pioneers – generations of people spanning the globe, all with the grit and vision to produce materials essential to human progress.
Our iron ore has shaped skylines from Shanghai to Sydney. Our aluminium – the world’s first to be certified “responsible” – helps planes fly and makes cars lighter. Our copper helps wind turbines power cities, and our boron helps feed the world, and explore the universe. Our diamonds help us celebrate the best parts of life.
Where you’ll be working
Exploration and discovery have been the driving force behind our business for nearly 150 years. Exploration Africa-Europe is building a strong technical team in Zambia to undertake the safe prospecting and technical evaluation of potential copper developments within the region. Initial prospecting activities will include geological mapping, drilling and resource modelling; complemented with community and environmental characterisation work.
Every Voice Matters
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation, or anything else that makes us different.
About the role
All progress begins with pioneers. At Rio Tinto, it begins with you.
We are looking for a Geoscientist responsible to apply technical knowledge and skills to projects undertaking a range of standard technical and project tasks while developing generalist exploration competencies.
The Geoscientist is expected to contribute to total team output through completion of assigned tasks. The role may work with or without direct supervision but always under close direction. Task are provided and assessed by senior team members and interactions are mainly with other team members, with increase in experience, there may be interaction with contractors and communities.
It is essential that you are based in Zambia, preferably in Lusaka and have rights to work locally as the role will be FIFO (fly in, fly out) out of Lusaka or DIDO (drive in, drive out) to camp on a 3 week on: 2 weeks off or 3 week on: 1 week
off rotation in the field.
Reporting to the Senior Project geoscientist and working in a collaborative community, you will:
• Assisting in all aspects of exploration programmes by acquiring and interpreting of geotechnical data including but not limited to collecting and preparing geochemical samples, geological maps, drill samples, geological logs of drill core and petrophysical data
• Preparing and submitting maps, records of exploration targets and reports on exploration activity
• Assisting in planning and conducting reconnaissance trips, exploration programmes and mineral deposit evaluation
• Contributing to geologic presentations on potential projects
• Assisting the project manager with contractor management through the supervision of drill and geophysical crews using standard work practices
• Supervision of local field teams and take responsibility of own and nominated staff performance in line with RT principles of collaboration and living our values
• Providing leadership in HSEC by anticipating current and future risks and managing associated controls
• Managing all HSEC related activities within one’s area to ensure standards are met
• Providing leadership in assurance by anticipating current and future risks and managing these
• Managing all compliance related activities within one’s area to ensure standards are met
• Ensuring that exploration data and documents are properly managed throughout the discovery pipeline and that the most updated and complete version is stored in an accessible and secure infrastructure
• Facilitating change by understanding the principles and impact of that change, and acting accordingly
What you’ll bring
• Tertiary honours Degree in Geology/Geoscience
• Minimum 2 years relevant experience or graduate
• Demonstrated interest in working within a field-based resources exploration environment and preferably with a track record within exploration
• Experience working in central Africa, especially DRC and Zambia, will be a significant advantage
What we offer
• A commitment to the safety of yourself and your team
• A safety-focused and inclusive working environment
• Career development & education assistance to further your ambitions
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; Rio Tinto Geoscientist Jobs in Zambia
Find daily jobs in Zambia. Jobs - Zambia jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Zambian job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Zambia.
Jobs in Zambia - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Zambia.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Zambia posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Best Africa Jobs.