Regional Service Centre at Entebbe Telecommunications Assistant Jobs in Uganda
Regional Service Centre at Entebbe Telecommunications Assistant Jobs in Uganda
Org. Setting and Reporting
The Department of Operational Support (DOS) was established to provide end-to-end operational support, advisory services, and other solutions to operating entities across the Secretariat, including departments, offices away from headquarters, peace operations, and regional commissions.
The Regional Service Centre in Entebbe, Uganda (RSCE), was established in July 2010, following the adoption of General Assembly resolution 64/269. The Centre provides efficient, client-oriented and scalable services with the goal of moving transactional, non-location-dependent administrative functions to the Centre from its client entities.
This includes transactional elements of human resources, finance, multimodal movement, and control, personnel and cargo transport and information and communications technology (ICT) support.
In addition to these services, the RSCE Office of the Director and support offices through the Deputy Chief RSCE provides overall guidance on the operations of the RSCE including strategic planning, communication, budgeting, human resources management, property management, quality assurance and business intelligence, conference services, record keeping and archive management, audit response, and risk management.
This position is located in the Regional Field Technology Service (RFTS) office. The Telecommunications Assistant reports to the Head of the Unit.
The overall purpose of the post is to assist in providing problem assessment, resolution and advice for a wide spectrum of telecommunication issues. The incumbent at this level carries out functions related to the provision of effective telecommunication support for the centre, with regard to Satellite Earth-station Operations, Wide Area Network Operations (WAN), Local Area Network Operations (LAN), Voice and Messaging Operation, Audio/Visual Conference Services, Asset Management support, and Telephone Billing Services.ResponsibilitiesSatellite Earth-station Operations:
• Assists in the operation and maintenance of Intelsat Standard satellite earth-station equipment and maintaining standard Microwave equipment, inclusive of the antenna system, RF equipment, IF equipment, base-band equipment, and the control, supervisory, and test facilities.
• Monitors satellite link performance.
• Performs fault diagnosis and repair.
• Maintains earth-station records and documentation.
• Undertakes spare parts tracking.
• Performs other related duties as required.Wide Area Network Operations (WAN):
• Monitors transmission performance of all local and remote network nodes at the link and at the I/O levels.
• Coordinates with leased line carrier and/or remote site technical support staff, service restoration during facility failures.
• Maintains Network Control Center/Network Operations Center records and Wide Area Network documentation.
• Maintains WAN equipment inventory and tracks repair history of WAN nodal equipment and modules.
• Prepares monthly reports on node and transmission facility performance including detailed reports of leased facility outages for outage rebate purposes.
• Performs other related duties as required.Local Area Network Operations (LAN):
• Monitors the performance of the LAN, Metropolitan Area Network (MAN) and high speed Internet access facilities.
• Assists in the implementation of ad-hoc LAN support requirements with departmental focal points.
• Provides remote operations and maintenance service and advanced technical support for access routers on the Wide Area Network.
• Maintains LAN and MAN equipment inventory and assists with the write-off process of FTS equipment.
• Prepares and revises network diagrams and network documentation.
• Performs other related duties as required.Voice and Messaging Operation:
• Analyzes and reviews requests for telephone services; advises UN officials and or facilities staff, e.g., architects, electricians, movers) in preparing requests for services to ensure they are cost-effective and physically feasible.
• Formulates technical service orders and follows up on pending work orders, requisitions, trouble reports, etc., to ensure work is completed in a timely fashion.
• Decides on type of equipment/services needed.
• Maintains liaison with outside contractor telecommunications representatives with regard to any change, correction or discrepancy on the above and other technical information on procedures;
oversees installations, monitors quality and quantity of work performed by contractors and compiles and prepares statistics on same.
• Drafts and prepares blueprints showing equipment locations for telephone technicians and facilities management staff.
• Assists in the design and development of work order databases and maintains the databases using advanced computer technology.
• Performs other related duties as required.Audio/Visual Conference Services:
• Installs, configures and tests audio, video conference and desktop video conference hardware/software using available communication and network connectivity.
• Assists in meetings’ preparation by preparing and configuring conference hardware and operates equipment during conferences.
• Provides support and training for new users of conference systems.
• Researches and evaluates new conference products ensuring compatibility with current operational standards and growth for future needs.Telephone Billing Services:
• Ensures that clear and accurate records of all telephone accounts, documentation and invoices are maintained.
• Follows up on outstanding payments and recovery of charges.
• Maintains electronic records of all expenditures for commercial communications of the Mission, and provides CITS budget officer with this information on a regular basis.
• Maintains comprehensive filing system of invoices, statements and correspondence for all telephone systems, including issue and return vouchers for mobile and satellite SIM cards.
• Ensures that all telephone billing documents are scanned and electronically stored before being archived.
• Performs other related duties as required.CompetenciesProfessionalism: Shows pride in work and in achievements. Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter. Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns. Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
Client orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view. Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect. Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions. Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems.
Technological Awareness: Keeps abreast of available technology; Understands applicability and limitations of technology to the work of the office; Actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; Shows willingness to learn new technology.
High school diploma or recognized equivalent is required.
Job - Specific Qualification
Technical or vocational training in information and telecommunications systems or other related field is desirable.
A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in Telecommunications, information systems Network equipment installation and management, systems administration and maintenance, software applications, hardware installation, telephone billing, or related area is required.
Experience within the United Nations common system or similar international organization or non-governmental organization is desirable.
Experience with property management systems such as the United Nations Field support Suite (FSS) and Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems such as UMOJA or similar system is desirable.
Experience in a shared service center is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this post, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of French is desirable.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; Regional Service Centre at Entebbe Telecommunications Assistant Jobs in Uganda
Find jobs in Uganda. Jobs - Uganda jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Ugandan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Uganda.
Jobs in Uganda - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Uganda.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Uganda posted and updated daily - click here!