Opibus Software Engineer Jobs in Kenya
Opibus Software Engineer Jobs in Kenya
Job Details: Opibus are a team of engineers, technicians, and like-minded people working towards the common goal to accelerate the transition towards sustainable transport and energy solutions in East Africa by introducing new technologies and reshaping industries.
We are designing, assembling, and installing electric drive trains for a range of vehicle applications. This provides our clients with an incredible, powerful, cost-effective and of course environmentally friendly alternative to running vehicles on fossil fuels such as dirty diesel. Our cars reduce emissions, and critically eradicate local air pollution. Together with distribution and commissioning of charging infrastructure and on/off-grid PV systems, Opibus can offer the complete solution for sustainable transport and power needs in East Africa.
We are all based in Nairobi and Kenya is the first country we have started this journey within.
The role of Software Engineer is a hugely exciting and unique role within our team. The role plays an important part in Opibus' product line underpinning the operation of our EVs. Our C++ based codebase runs on Rasbian OS and utilises the industry standard CAN bus protocol to communicate with the car's sensors. This year we are planning to build upon what we have to improve the usability, the power, and the configuration options within our cars to provide more options to our customers and optimise the time it takes our engineers to set up each component.
What is this job like according to Harry and Ahmed, two Opibus software engineers:
"At Opibus you have great autonomy to do the things you think need doing. As a team we achieve a lot together making the world a cleaner and more sustainable place, and as part of this the software is incredibly important....you really can sync in with so many different areas and skills that you'll always be challenged, and constantly learning."
“Working at Opibus exposes you to different engineering fields and all of those
fields come together in the software. Since the software will be running on embedded Linux devices you get the opportunity to think creatively about optimisations and considerations when developing the software. All of this is possible due to the culture at Opibus which encourages learning and autonomy. It's pretty cool being part of a company that is doing something that matters in the world.” .
• Product development of our software systems
• Including communication with drivers, clients and, systems engineers to help define a backlog that enables cars to be as accessible, reliable, and engaging as possible
• UI and UX assessment and improvements both with our sales team, and internal quality engineers
• Support and maintenance of existing systems
• Research and selection of 3rd party libraries so that we do not “reinvent the wheel” when not needed
• Testing and QA including external libraries
• Work with mechanical and electrical engineers to bring software improvements that benefit our processes
Essential skills and experience
• Raspberry Pi / Rasbian OS or Linux
• CAN bus
• Git and CI
• Enjoyment of autonomy
• A few years of experience managing codebases
• Strong documentation skills
• Solid fundamentals in OOP and design patterns
• Working with multiple engineering disciplines
• QA processes and experience
• Hardware engineering
How to Apply
Send your CV and a short covering letter to
firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "Software Engineer".
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to NGO Jobs in Africa.