Northern Rangelands Trust Senior Communications Officer Jobs in Kenya
Northern Rangelands Trust Senior Communications Officer Jobs in Kenya
Northern Rangelands Trust (NRT) is a non-profit umbrella organization that supports 43-member Community Conservancies across northern and coastal Kenya with fundraising, technical support,
governance advice and training, and security. Its mission is to develop resilient community conservancies that transform lives, secure peace, and conserve natural resources. It is a non-governmental organization headquartered in Lewa Wildlife Conservancy, Meru County. More information can be found at www.nrtkenya.org.
The Northern Kenya Carbon Project:
The Northern Kenya Carbon Project is the world’s first large-scale grasslands soil carbon project. It is one of the few large, landscape-level carbon removal ventures currently on the market. It is anticipated to remove and store 50 million tons of CO2 over 30 years – the equivalent of the annual emissions from over 10,000,000 cars.
The sale of this sequestered carbon from community rangelands in northern Kenya will create additional and much needed income for the communities and enhance both community development
and conservation efforts. The Carbon project is owned by 14 community conservancies who are members of NRT. They provide leadership, oversight and strategies to the carbon project, while NRT provides technical support.
Purpose of the Position:
The overall purpose and responsibility of this role is to lead, develop, coordinate and implement successful communications and public relations strategies through targeted, innovative communications that reach and catalyze change in key constituencies from communities to government and donor stakeholders.
The Senior Communications Officer is responsible for building and maintaining a positive profile for Carbon work through impactful media and outreach across key external online and offline communications channels; driving compelling stories and events that reinforce the project’s brand, while ensuring regular and efficient sharing and exchange of information through effective internal communications.
Thus, we invite applications from dynamic and experienced individuals to provide strategic communication and public relations leadership and oversight to a growing organisation whose impact is well-recognized and continuously supported.
The Key focus of this position will be:
▪ Ensures strategic and effective communications, helping to oversee the development and implementation of the communications strategy related to the project including leading on all
aspects of communication and public relations management within the project.
Duties & Responsibilities:
▪ Strategy: Develop, lead and manage the delivery and review of internal and external communications and public relations strategy that support the project; well-illustrates the conservation and development wins being made by communities; strengthens the project’s profile, and supports the organisation’s fundraising efforts.
▪ Work Planning: Lead the development of communications work plans which outline key activities for implementation that support project objectives, Fundraising, Programme and Communications strategies. This also includes developing and implementing carbon communication activities and budgets in collaboration with the project management and Finance teams.
▪ Social Media and Ground Level Communications:
Oversee the development and management of the carbon website, social media channels (including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram) and production of regular and incisive blogs, to conduct similar efforts at an individual conservancy level as well.
▪ Products: Work with colleagues to produce editorials, features, advertisements, brochures, fact sheets, briefings, position papers, news stories, impact assessments, etc.
▪ Media: Develop and maintain positive working relationships with targeted online,
broadcast journalists, editorial writers and columnists, as well as other media staff. This includes supporting well-executed media strategies and activities, including press conferences, one-toone briefings, press release, and other written materials.
▪ Campaigns and events: Conceive, develop and lead groundbreaking communications and advocacy campaigns, projects and events to help achieve our community conservation goals. Enhancing our partnerships with county and national governments is a key priority.
▪ Internal Communications: Support in the development of internal business/information sharing platforms for effective internal communication to build and maintain the project’s internal communication network and secure internal buy-in for the project, generating maximum
participation and support within the organisation.
▪ Partnerships: Collaborate with the Grants and Communications departments to ensure an integrated communications strategy is developed and implemented with regards to community conservancies and the Carbon Project. Hold periodic meetings and work closely with implementing offices, donor offices and to ensure close coordination on communication efforts.
▪ Reporting: Prepare progress and impact assessment reports, track the project’s media presence, and analyse and report on the frequency and quality of coverage on a timely basis.
▪ Assessment: Review existing communications capacity and assets and related communications outputs with the aim to identify available resources and expertise and gaps in Carbon Communications assets and needs.
▪ Research: Oversee and conduct market research as appropriate to inform creative and innovative communications strategies, messaging and campaign propositions designed to effectively persuade target audiences to help support the continued growth of community conservancies and the project.
Qualifications: Education /Knowledge/ Skills and Experience:
▪ Masters degree in any of the following fields Public Relations, Corporate Communication, Mass
Communication and Journalism or other related degree from a recognized institution.
▪ Bachelor’s degree in any of the following fields Public Relations, Corporate Communication, Mass Communication and Journalism or other related degree from a recognized institution.
▪ Minimum of 10 years experience in practical communications management across a broad
▪ A strong technical background in areas related to communications-conservation.
▪ Knowledge of a working environment involving government, donors, NGOs and social media.
▪ A personal style that inspires trust, team work, professionalism and cooperation.
▪ Excellent writing and communication skills, and ability to develop effective partnerships.
▪ Experience in online marketing and communication.
▪ Experience writing, editing, and proofreading printed or online content for diverse audiences
▪ Experience in handling social media including blogs, face book, twitter and others as a professional communications tool.
▪ Experience working with conservancies, wildlife and international media.
▪ Fluency in English and Swahili required, both verbal and written, a foreign language is an added
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; Northern Rangelands Trust Senior Communications Officer Jobs in Kenya
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Best Africa Jobs.