Nile Basin Initiative Jobs in Uganda
Nile Basin Initiative Water Resources Modeller (WRM) Jobs in UgandaWater Resources Modeller (WRM)Post Level:
Nile Basin Initiative Secretariat, Water Resources Management Department Water Resources ManagementDuty Station:
Entebbe UgandaAnticipated Starting date:
(1st May 2017)Duration:
Contract for two (2) years renewed annually based on satisfactory performance, availability of funds and need for the services with 6 month probation period.
Reports to: Head, Water Resources Management (WRM) Unit1. Introduction:
The Nile Basin Initiative (NBI) is an inter-governmental organization initiated and led by the Nile riparian countries to promote joint development, protection and management of the common Nile Basin water resources.
NBI has a Shared Vision, namely: ‘to promote sustainable socioeconomic development through the equitable utilization of', and benefit from, the common Nile Basin water resources’.
The NBI provides a unique forum for the countries of the Nile Basin to move toward a cooperative process to realize tangible benefits in the basin and build a solid foundation of trust and confidence.
The Nile Council of Ministers Nile-COM
serves as the highest decision-making body of the NBI. The Nile-COM is supported by the NBI Technical Advisory Committee Nile-TAC
, which is composed of two senior officials from each member country.
NBI is managed from three Centres. The first Centre at Entebbe, Uganda, forms the NBI Secretariat (Nile-SEC) and was launched in September 1999. It has a coordinating role across the Basin, supports the platform for Basin-wide dialogue, and provides and manages an interactive, intelligent, basin knowledge base.
Another Centre at Addis Ababa, Ethiopia (ENTRO) and a third Centre at Kigali, Rwanda (NELSAP-CU) both manage the facilitation of cooperative water resources development in their respective sub-regions.
For strengthening its Water Resources Management Department, Nile-Sec is looking of qualified specialist in the area of water resources modelling.2. Principal Function
The Water Resources Management (WRM) Department is a technical and policy unit at Nile-SEC that is responsible for the implementation and continuous refinement of the water resources management core functions of the Nile-SEC. The Unit shall house the Nile Basin-DSS and, in this regard, shall be the analytical center of NBI.
The Water Resources Modeller shall bring in high calibre water resources modelling expertise to provide the analytical expertise to support the implementation of the Water Resources Management functions of the Nile-SEC. The Water Resources Modeller shall work under the supervision of and report to the Head of the Water Resources Management Department.3. Scope of work
The Water Resources Modeller shall be responsible for analytical work in the WRM Department focusing on the operational use and further customization/refinement of the Nile-DSS. Other modelling and analytic tools are used as required. The specific scope of work of the Modeller shall include, but not limited to, the following:a. Maintenance and further enhancement of NB DSS
· Provide first level DSS user support through the DSS helpdesk. The Modeler shall provide technical support and address issues raised by DSS users in the Nile Basin countries.
· Contribute to DSS user community activities through sharing of experiences, providing training, and resolution of DSS use related issues
· Plan, organize and implement periodic technical workshops and trainings on the application of the NB-DSS to the community of Nile-DSS users.
· Contribute to the smooth running of the DSS helpdesk, including clarification of known DSS related issues, troubleshooting DSS use related problems, and liaising with DHI (Denmark) to resolve bugs on the DSS software framework
· Provide expertise in the development of new add-ons for the NB DSS; lead the development, testing and integration of such new add-ons
· Contribute to the quality assurance of new add-ons developed by the DSS user community and shared with the Nile-Sec;
· Plan, organize and administer e-courses on Nile Basin DSSb. Operational Application of Analytic Tools to support strategic water resources analysis
· Provide analytical expertise for the realization of the results planned under the next Nile-Sec five year strategic plan, including compilation and quality assuring water resources and related data, developing model setups, scenario analysis and evaluation of strategic options for basin-wide water resources management
· Plan, organize and carry out modeling and analytic work to support water resources analysis (such as the strategic water resources analysis)
being carried out under the WRM department. The modeling work shall cover hydrologic, hydrodynamic and water balance modeling of the Nile Basin or its tributaries as required by the specific application for which the models are required.
· Compile up to date Climate Change datasets relevant for the Nile Basin from available data globally (both GCM outputs as well as downscaled data). Develop a systematic archiving scheme for these climate change datasets for easy reference and access.
· Plan, organize and carry out modeling of climate change impacts on hydrology of the Nile Basin and development of Climate Change resilient water resources development and management options
· Contribute to the preparation of strategic papers, policy briefs and technical reports based on the results of analytic work under the WRM department.
· Develop models, scripts and toolkits to support implementation of the water resources management program of NBI
· Support the SAPs and the riparian countries in conducting and evaluating basin-wide trans-boundary versus national water resources planning, management and development studies to support strategic planning and project implementation at sub-regional and national levels.c. Knowledge Management
· Provide technical/analytic inputs to the preparation of knowledge products to address specific water resources management issues in the Nile Basin;
· Contribute to the preparation of training modules on water resources modeling, in general, and use of NB DSS, in particulard. Project Management Support
· Prepare work plan, budget and reports as contribution to the WRM departments annual planning cycle
· Supervise consultants’ performance, relevant to specialty, to ensure the relevance and quality, including reviewing of technical documents.
· Contribute to the periodical reports prepared by the WRM Department.
· Carry out other related tasks as requested by the Head of the Water Resources Management Department.4. Qualifications and experiences
· At least Masters level degree in hydro-informatics, hydrology (with focus on water resources modelling) or closely related fields. Strong modelling hands-on exposure during education is a key requirement.
· Four (4) years of qualifying experience (after MSc degree) in river basin modelling, with focus on water balance modelling, water allocation, simulation of river-reservoir systems involving key water use systems (such as hydropower, irrigation), flood control benefits of regulation systems, rainfall-runoff modelling and optimization modelling. Record of experience must be supported by supported by evidence on proficiency in at least one river – reservoir system model.
· At least 4 years of qualifying experience (after MSc degree) in rainfall-runoff modelling is required; supported by evidence on proficiency in at least two rainfall- runoff models
· Hands-on experience in hydro-dynamic modelling is a significant advantage
· Experience in modelling of water quality (rivers and lakes) and sediment transport is an advantage
· Proficiency in an at least one advanced programming language; such as (C++, Visual Basic, and Java or comparable languages) is a requirement.
· At least 3 years’ experience working with climate change datasets and models is a requirement
· Experience in formulation and solving optimization problems in water resources
· Three (3) years’ experience in the application of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) in water resources.
· Strong multi-cultural and inter-personnel skills; experience in working in multidisciplinary team is a significant advantage.
· Demonstrated technical writing, analytical, presentation and reporting skills.
· Strong English language skills (spoken and written); working knowledge of French is an advantage.
· Experience working in Africa, particularly the Nile Basin countries, is preferred.
· Willingness to travel in the region and internally as required.How to apply:
NBI offers a competitive salary and benefits package commensurate with the qualifications and relevant experience. Women candidates are encouraged to apply.
Please clearly indicate a minimum of three referees and three former employers excluding the current employer with their full contacts.
Qualified candidates should only submit electronically their application letters, including complete curriculum vitae to the Executive Director on: email@example.com Please submit electronic application letters and CV clearly indicating the position applied for in the subject of the mail. Don’t attach your Academic transcripts List of All Current Scholarships for International Students - Updated Daily - Apply Today! Click Here! Funding Agencies for Grants - Search Funding Agencies for Grants? - NGO Funding Agencies - Fill Out a Simple Grant Form? - NGO Grant Funding Agencies