Mercy Corps Climate Smart Advisor Jobs in Kenya
Mercy Corps Climate Smart Advisor Jobs in Kenya
Program / Department Summary ** With funding from USAID's Bureau for Humanitarian Assistance (BHA), Mercy Corps’ Nawiri Program is leading a consortium of Kenyan and international partners on a five year journey to sustainably reduce persistent acute malnutrition in Turkana and Samburu Counties of Kenya.
Through a phased approach that emphasizes evidence gap analysis, as well as partnership, learning, and co-creation, the program takes a robust county-centered design with government leadership, active engagement from communities, the private sector, and civil society. Mercy Corps’ consortium brings together the global leadership, research capacity, technical expertise, and implementation experience necessary to partner with local institutions to test, adapt, and scale evidence-based solutions.
Together we will sustainably reduce persistent acute malnutrition for vulnerable populations in Turkana and Samburu counties.
General Position Summary
The Climate Smart Advisor will provide overall technical leadership and vision for on-farm climate resilient livelihood interventions for improved nutrition in Turkana and Samburu.
S/He will provide in-depth technical guidance and mentoring in climate-smart agriculture (small ruminants, poultry, fruits, vegetables, field crops) and natural resources management (namely rangelands and communal areas) approaches for Nawiri activities in Samburu and Turkana.
The Climate Smart Advisor will partner closely with program leadership, other technical leads, research and learning leads and field teams to ensure climate-smart approaches are integrated into the design and implementation of program activities.
S/He will work closely with relevant county government officials to prioritize activities and investments with a nutrition lens.
The Climate Smart Advisor will be responsible for providing technical support and strategic direction to Field Directors and field-based livelihoods staff who oversee program implementation.
Essential Job Functions
Vision and Strategy
● Support the Deputy Chief of Party (DCoP) by providing vision and strategy to the program’s climate smart resilient interventions and approaches in agriculture (crop & livestock) and natural resources management and how it integrates into the overall technical direction and implementation
● Forge strong, institutional linkages and maintain a productive working relationship with USAID, Government of Kenya, the CRS consortium, PREG Partners, and other relevant partners in agriculture and NRM-related activities.
● Assist in defining and analyzing Nawiri practices and priorities across all partners; identifying opportunities for integration and synergies within other sectors such as nutrition, health, alternative livelihoods, and governance.
● Represent Nawiri at all relevant drylands-related meetings/workshops and other stakeholder meetings as requested.
● Upon start-up, review all program documents and relevant literature including county plans and priorities in relation to climate resilience.
● Lead climate smart agriculture resilience thinking and collaborate with learning and technical leads to finalize a learning agenda and design pilot activities that are coherent to the nutrition resilient framework for dry lands. Design will be based on technical expertise, county priorities, and evidence gaps in knowledge and understanding.
● Partner with the Alternative Livelihoods and Inclusive Markets Advisor to develop and train in the use of household economies analysis tools and templates that include season risk and recovery costs and opportunities.
● Where need is identified, recruit and manage internal Mercy Corps or external technical experts to provide added depth of knowledge in climate smart crop husbandry and livestock technologies and techniques, rangeland management, post-harvest handling and food preservation, or similar issues that may require greater technical understanding.
● Assist in activity budgeting and target setting.
● Provide direct training and other capacity-building and mentorship support to Nawiri staff, field teams, county stakeholders and partners.
● Work with Partnership for Resilience and Economic Growth (PREG) partners to strengthen linkages with other actors to enhance organizational learning which directly impacts staff performance and productivity.
● In the event of a natural disaster, lead design and budgeting of livelihood protection and recovery emergency response activities.
Program Management and Implimentation
● Coordinate with the Nawiri team in the Nairobi and counties to build systems that promote participant accountability by ensuring that those most impacted by agriculture-based livelihood issues
are represented during program-facilitated community dialogue events, assessments and activities.
● Collaborate with county leadership and lead county-based agriculture, livestock and natural resources staff to ensure that communities are informed about our programs and what we do, are comfortable giving feedback and that feedback is used to improve the quality of our programs.
● Coordinate closely with Institutional Strengthening Lead to support capacity assessments, development of capacity strengthening plans ensuring to prioritize climate smart and nutrition governance, strengthen the technical knowledge, information analysis, prioritization, budgeting and cross-sectoral integration of relevant county government officials and local organizations.
● Collaborate with NAWIRI learning team to develop and maintain a culture of learning between programs through consistent sharing during reflection points and through analysis and interpretation of M&E data, processes and systems.
Information Management and Reporting
● Support the integration of geo-spatial data analysis for learning, decision making and monitoring.
● Collaborate with M&E team to develop and implement a relevant monitoring and tracking systems.
● In coordination with the learning team, manage the institutional knowledge within the NAWIRI program and contribute to wider knowledge management;
● As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries**
● Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
● Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Technical oversight of field based activities undertaken by NAWIRI staff and partners.
● Reports Directly To: Deputy Chief of Party, Nawiri
● Works Directly With: Strategic Learning Lead, Research & Design Lead, Institutional Strengthening Lead, the M&E team, Water Systems Advisor, Inclusive livelihoods and Market systems advisor, Health and Nutrition Lead, partner agencies, local government, USAID and support departments
Knowledge and Experience
● Advanced degree in a drylands agriculture, livestock production, agro-ecology, environmental sciences, natural resources management, or resilience program.
● At least 10 years in senior program management level with practical experience and demonstrable application of knowledge in climate change and resilience policy and legal frameworks.
● A minimum of 5 years’ experience in a technical role on an international development program related to food security and nutrition.
3 or more years’ experience working in rural economies in the ASAL counties highly required.
5 or more years implementing activities directly supporting livestock and crop farming in ASAL counties, preferably in Samburu or Turkana.
Experience on a USAID-funded program preferred
● Demonstrated expertise and ability to investigate and provide consultative services on a broad range of technical questions and policy issues including natural resource management, sustainable agriculture, extensive livestock production, pastoralism and policy reform.
● Demonstrable familiarity with Kenya’s ASAL, agriculture, livestock and natural resources sectors political and policy environment.
● Experience in the design or implementation of formative or implementation research with qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis methodologies required.
How to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; Mercy Corps Climate Smart Advisor Jobs in Kenya
Find jobs in Kenya. Jobs - Kenya jobs. Search our career portal & find the latest Kenyan job positions, career opportunities & jobs in Kenya.
Jobs in Kenya - banking jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs, NGO jobs, business administration, ICT, UN jobs, procurement jobs, education jobs, hospital jobs, human resources jobs, engineering, teaching jobs, and other careers in Kenya.
Find your dream job from 1000s of vacancies in Kenya posted and updated daily - click here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to NGO Jobs in Africa.